Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #1

Quick connect for brake control

Hello, I've got a problem: have asked several people on the above on a brake control plug in under the dash. Motor Home is a 2013 Ford Super Duty Chassis. I've been told it's under the dash. I'm 73 and my ole body just can't bend to find this quick connect plug in. There's another name for it, however my brain is not working at this time.

I was told from one guy that he has to take part of the dash board out to install this plug in. Oh my, that's just not what I want to have done. Cost was over $380.00.

Any help would be more than appreciated!

Alvin
LUV MY ACE is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-14-2014, 06:56 AM   #2

It definitely should be there. Ford has been installing the trailer brake controller wiring harness since at least 2001. In most cases it's either taped to the steering column or to another wiring harness near the steering column.

There may be other plugs under there as well. It all depends on what options or equipment are installed on your motorhome. If you're looking for a plug that plugs directly into your brake controller you probably won't find it. Most brake controllers need a jumper harness because each chassis manufacturer uses a different profile plug under the dash. The easiest way to find it is to either purchase or take a picture of a Ford jumper harness at an RV parts dealer. Then you'll know what the plug is supposed to plug into.

It only took a couple minutes to find the plug in our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer. It took more time to decide where to put the controller than it did to find the plug. The one in our 2013 Adventurer is taped to the steering column. We haven't bothered to install a brake controller because so far we've only towed our Jeep 4 down.
Old 08-15-2014, 11:04 AM   #3

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's there, normally on the right side of the steering column. On my 99 it had a plastic bag on it and tie wrapped to other wires in the dash. Had to take a panel off the dash to find it.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2014, 09:22 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
A Picture

LUV MY ACE, Ford moved it hear starting with the 2012 MY.
The pig tail furnished by Ford is plugged in and spliced to the brake controller.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Brake Connector.jpg
Views:	1834
Size:	358.0 KB
ID:	70915  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2014, 09:16 AM   #5

Location: Home base Lakeland, Fl, summers Columbus, Oh and points north
Brake controller

Order the plug from one of the board vendors. It is less than $40.00. Look for a GREY square (sort of) plug under the dash and just snap it in. It is real easy and no way do you need to take the dash apart and certainly is not deserving of a $380 bill. I have owned 5 ford vehicles and they are all basically the same installation.
EdB Wingman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
brake