RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-15-2013, 07:50 PM   #1

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
Rear axel seal

The left rear axel seal started leaking as I pulled into campground Fri. night. what a nightmare with insur.co with towing,(a long story) ended up leaving the RV at C/G. Spoke to my mechanic and we will go and replace it on Sat. morn., only 30 miles away. He's going to pick up the parts and has the necessary tools to remove the nut that holds the seal/bearing in.The right side was replaced 2 yrs. ago, I should of had him do left side also,hindsite 20/20. Any body have and advice or helpful tips to look out for. thanks Rick

RV LYONS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-15-2013, 09:39 PM   #2

I replaced my left seal last week. I had the mechanic order the inner and outer bearings and races as well. I am glad I did because both bearings had damage...which is probably why the seal was leaking. Two hours of labor for all...out the door price $611.44 to replace everything.

vtbigdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #3

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
We fixed the seal, less than 2 hours total time. As Mike (my mechanic) pulled the caliper off, it was a little tight to remove, he noticed the rubber seals were burnt, he thinks the caliper locked,and wouldn't fully return. I did smell a burnning rubber smell just as I pulled into campground,and the brake pedal felt funny when applying the brakes. So a trip to the Ford dealer for calipers, I replaced the 2 front 2 yrs. ago. Rebuilt from the Ford dealer, they were around $70.00 each.Mike clamped the bad caliper hose with vice grips for the ride home just to kepp it from locking up again.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:42 PM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
Keep Disc Brakes Operating Trouble Free==1997 & Older F53 (1999 & Newer?)

At least every third year--
1. Suction out Hydraulic Brake Reservoir.
2. Remove Right Rear Wheels & push Caliper Pistons into Caliper Body.
3. Repeat # 1. and fill Reservoir with New Brake Fluid.
4. Caliper must slide on greased V Rail with Special Grease.
5. Bleed Caliper until fluid is clear While adding Brake Fluid to Reservoir as needed.
6. Install wheels & repeat on Left Rear==Right Front==Left Front (Always adding New Brake Fluid to Reservoir as needed)
7. When traveling down very steep grades, Downshift Transmission to Same Gear that you would use to Travel Uphill.
1995 F53 35U Bounder, Wide Body-Large Vertical Windows-NO SLIDES, Front Axle-Davis Tru-Trac Bar, Rear Axle-SuperSteer Trac Bar, TowBar/Brake System-NSA ReadyBrute Elite, Family Motor Coach Association F 513--F 513s
Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 10:38 AM   #5

leaking wheel seal

check axle vent tube, bugs will plug up tube and cause pressure to build up and blow out seals. i put screen at end of tube with a hose clamp no more problems
jmo4x5x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:47 PM   #6

Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
HI Dwight, thanks for tip, I am replacing both rear calipers, hoses and slide pins, and was planning to flush master cylinder,went to local parts store and got the prices today, calipers $63. ea. Thanks again

Hi jmo4x5x I'll have to check to see if the breather tube is blocked,Thanks

Tags
seal