RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-18-2014, 12:07 PM   #1

Rexhall Owners Group
Rear stabilizer bar - options

My mechanic told me the rear stabilizer bar on my 1999 Rexhall needs to be replaced. One bushing is missing and the other loose. The replacement part from ford including installation is $339.50. Before having him replace the part I want to consider any options. We just got the motorhome two weeks ago and the handling leaves a lot to be desired. My mechanic doesn't do a lot of motorhomes so I'm not sure he is the right guy to do the suspension stuff.

All I know about handling is what I've read on the forums. I don't have the skills to do this myself*but would appreciate your thoughts and opinions on what options I do have and the best place to have them done. I'm in the So California area. Aside from poor handling, are there any safety issues I need to be concerned about before addressing the problem.

While my mechanic refers to the part as a stabilizer bar, I'm wondering if this is actually a track bar. I'd prefer to spend more $$$ for a better performance is there are alternatives.

Looking forward to your thoughts and suggestions.

Thanks for your responses.

Garyb1st

garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-18-2014, 03:20 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Ford no longer sells only the bushings. However, superior urethane bushings are available on eBay

1999 to 2011 Ford F53 Rear Swaybar Bushings $34.95

Replacement bushings are also available for the front swaybar

1999 and up Ford F53 Front Swaybar Bushings $39.95

Also available as a kit front and rear

1999 to 2011 Ford F53 Front and Rear Swaybar Bushings $74.95

The original Ford rubber bushings didn't last long.

1999 Jeep Cherokee & 1991 Jeep Wrangler Renegade
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 05:08 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
You said your MH is a 1999. That usually means that the chassis is a 1998. If it is a F-53 chassis. Good advice from John, just replace the bushings. The anti-sway bar, (he called it a stabilizer bar because it does stabilize the sway of the MH home as long as it is not broken it's still good. It is usually called an anti-sway bar or just a sway-bar. It is made out of spring steel and will last a long time.

While you are in the area do the CHF or the cheap handling fix. Google it on these forums or anywhere and you'll find out what I'm talking about. IT can be performed on the front and rear and will improve the ride and handling considerably.

TeJay
Old 04-18-2014, 06:30 PM   #4

Rexhall Owners Group
John, thanks for the links. The Ford site has "insulators" for the front sway bars*but I can't find them for the rear. I called a local dealer and the parts man confirmed they didn't carry them for the rear. He then said the polyurethane bushings would be superior to the Ford rubber bushings.

Tejay, according to Ford, the 1999 model year F53 is built in 1998 but is technically called a 1999. The mechanic says other than the bushings, the rear sway bar is in good shape. He also said the bushings in the front are in good shape.

Garyb1st
garyb1st is offline   Reply With Quote