Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2014, 10:40 AM   #1

Rear Sway Bars versus Track Bar...???

I wrote to Brazel's about getting one of their track bars (https://www.brazelsrv.com/ford-f53-2...-rear-trac-bar). I was surprised when I received an email response suggesting I go for the the Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar. It is much more expensive. What do you guys think??? I was surprised since I keep hearing about trac bars, but this is the first I have heard a sway bar recommended....

Thoughts?

Thanks
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2014, 11:08 AM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
On a Ford chassis you get the most benefit from the rear track bar (Pan hard Bar). Sway bars are neutral when going straight and are only effective in turning but may give a slight firm feeling in the suspension.

Track Bars help with results from tail wag from wind and passing trucks that disturb straight line driving.

Ford added a track bar in the front around 06. You may also try the cheap handling fix by moving the front sway bar links to the shorter position.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #3

Brazel's response is correct. The sway bar helps control body roll. The only way a track bar would help is if your rear suspension was worn out. The massive rear springs on the F53 won't let the rear axle go anywhere.
Old 12-03-2014, 11:34 AM   #4

I can't comment specifically on what a Ford chassis needs, but can comment on the functionality. There is some side to side movement in the axle compared to the frame. This results in a delayed response to steering input, which causes things to swing around. It has no impact on body roll. (actually it may slightly increase body roll)

A sway bar forces (or strongly encourages) the coach to stay level with the axles. This does reduce body roll, but does not reduce the side to side axle movement.

So which do you need. That depends on which is you worst offending problem. One way to test is while driving slow speed, rock the steering wheel back and forth about 2-3 inches. If the vehicle basically stays straight, its likely you need track bars. If you take a long sweeping turn, and you feel like the coach wants to roll over, then I would be looking at sway bars. Most of the time, most coaches need trac bars. The delayed steering input causes over correction, which just aggravates keeping the coach under control.
Old 12-03-2014, 01:13 PM   #5

I have the ultra trak the new one and it made a great difference. Chf and safety plus makes it easy to drive. Ours is a 2014 Georgetown 328. Saving up for koni for the front. Alignment done and 92 lbs on TP.
K3wtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 01:33 PM   #6

Alpine Owners Club
The rear suspension does not need to be "worn out" to benefit from a trac-bar, leaf springs and bushings will deflect under side loads even when new. There are a few Ford medium duty bus applications with factory rear trac-bars, as well as leaf sprung Jeeps with rear factory trac-bars. The question is "what is the main complaint" about the handling of the coach. Sway and body roll are greatly reduced with an auxiliary sway bar, wander and delayed steering response are reduced with trac-bars. JMHPO (just my humble professional opinion
SuperSteer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:28 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Well said Ken.

Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 06:47 PM   #8

well i have added just about everything i can think of. much better now than before every addition has made improved ,but still looking to get less tail swing and blown around by big rigs.
Old 12-04-2014, 04:19 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
The correct answer to your question is you will get some benefits from better sway control, which can be accomplished with larger diameter anti-sway bars both front and rear (quite expensive). The CHF will basically achieve the same results as new ASB's and it will cost you nothing. It makes sense to do that first and evaluate the results.

Also the ASB's will not only help with sway control but it will also stiffen the coaches response to wind gusts. So it will help with handling. Your coach can sway when you enter a service area with different heights of the road. Cross over un-even ramps etc. That's sway and it is controlled by the ASB's. When a wind gust hits the coach it tries to roll it side to side. The ASB helps to control that as well.

The track bar or TB ties the coaches frame to the suspension. As stated there is some slop/movement of the suspension shackles and attaching bolts and bushings. There is not to much but some. When the coach encounters a large wall of wind from an approaching semi the coach wants to move to the right. Some refer to this as ."The tail wagging the dog." The rear moves to the right and the front moves to the left. A front and rear TB will kind of anchor the suspension to the coaches frame and reduce the effect of the wind gust.

We just arrived home a few hours ago and I had to drive about 150 of the 200 mile trip over winding twisting 2-lane mountain roads through southern AR. I've been over the roads several times driving a school bus but never the MH. Several of the corners I did enter to fast because it's been 10 years oir more since I was on them. The coach barely swayed at all. The CHF, and TB's on both front and rear really did the trick. At no time did I feel out of control or in danger. I encountered many, many semi's and at no time did I even notice when they passed by.

I still have two more items to add (maybe): air bags and Koni shocks. If I can achieve even a 5 to 10% improvement in my ride and handling then I'll do it. Every bit I can do is what I'll do. My real wish is that WBGO would have offered an air ride suspension but they didn't. I also doubt that I'll have $1,500 in these improvements so I'm good to go. An air suspension would have cost more.

TeJay
Old 12-05-2014, 12:27 AM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've installed everything I could to my F53. Everything helped the handling. The rear Roadmaster 1-3/4" sway bar was one of the best improvements. You can order it from etrailer.com for less with free shipping. Call Roadmaster, I did as soon as I told them my length they said use the 1-3/4" auxiliary sway bar.
Anti-Sway Bars by Roadmaster for 2006 F-53 - RM-1139-140

I did all the installations myself, saved the labor. If you don't have the necessary tools or ability to do it, have a truck shop do the work.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2014, 02:54 PM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'd like to slightly modify my comments in post #9.

Shocks, Anti-Sway bars, leaf springs, Track rods, steering stabilizers, steer-safe, sway bar bushings, Air bags, tires & their pressures ALL and I mean ALL work together to control coach movement, cushion the ride and provide a good feel for road control.

If you either add, or improve any of these items you will affect everything about the ride and handling. Anytime your coach moves in any direction all of these items will add something to the equation. No one item acts independent of the others. Now some of the items mentioned have a greater effect on certain changes of direction but none of them works completely independent of the others.

Lets just look at one situation. A semi approaches from the rear and pushes your coach towards the edge of the road. The spring on the right is compressed. The spring on the left is unloaded. The shock on the right resists the spring compression and the shock on the left resists the spring unloading or rebound. The shocks will also dampen the continued spring movement (compression & rebound of spring). One side of the AS bar twists CW and the other twists CCW. That loads the bar which resists further twisting which reduces coach sway. The track bars both front and rear also resist the coach twist or side to side movement by tying the suspension play to the coaches frame.

When the wall of wind hits the coach it not only tips/pushes the top of the coach to the side it also tries to move the bottom of the coach towards the side of the road. One is a rocking or swaying motion the other is a side to side motion. That is two different movements. The front of the coach will want to twist towards the center of the road. All those parts on the rear that are also on the front now come into play to do their thing on the front of the coach.

I don't need to go on. What is important is each coaches response to movement is dependent on all the variables that there are between coaches. Loading, weight position, chassis weight, chassis springs, tires etc, etc. And it's also dependent on the weakest link of your coach. If you don't have a front or rear track bar you will be missing an important link. If you have lousy or worn out shocks the same thing.

It's really to bad that the chassis builder does not do all they can to give us the best ride and handling coach even if they are offered as options. I know I'd have paid for a better riding coach.

If I bored some, Sorry. I've worked on this stuff for years but I've learned a lot with my efforts trying to explain it here. So thanks.

TeJay
Old 12-05-2014, 11:50 PM   #12

Wow, guys, great info here! I should have said that I already did the CHF and added Koni's and new bushings. Definitely did help! I guess like the posters above, I am always looking for improvements. My big complain was cross winds on the last trip. On the way to our destination, there were light (if any) winds and life was good. Coming home, there were relatively strong cross winds and it was white knuckles comparatively.

Thanks again.
Old 12-08-2014, 09:11 PM   #13

With a 32' Jayco Precept, I immediately noticed handling problems. A couple of months ago I installed a Safe-T-Plus steering stabilizer. This helped with tracking in my lane of travel and seemed to help some with the passing vehicles and wind gusts. But I still had a well defined "tail wagging the dog" even with a pickup passing me...not to mention the semis passing.
Last week I had installed a SuperSteer rear trac bar. I only drove it for 10 miles after the install but I feel I have solved my handling problems. The difference was day and night. I took the interstate so I could experience if there was a change. I am one happy driver.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2014, 09:13 PM   #14

TeJay...........I have learned so much from your posts. Thank you. No bore here.
dm.akafun is offline   Reply With Quote