Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-28-2017, 06:26 PM   #1

Rear Trac Bar

I see so far there are two trac bars. UltraTrac and Supersteer. I might have seen another but these two seem to be the most popular.
What's the difference between the two? Is one beefier than the other, easier to install, although it doesn't appear to be very hard.
Thoughts on these for me please/
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-29-2017, 12:12 PM   #2

Old 11-29-2017, 12:48 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
I'll look them up and give my opinion!!

OK did a quick look and they are both about $500 WOW!! Both design are also about the same. That's a lot of $$$$ for what you get.

Do a search on this forum "DIY Rear Track Bar" And see what comes up. I just did the search and the very first one is a thread that I started on how to build one. If you look at the thread and go back to the original one you'll see that the TB design is just about the same as what they sell for $500.

It's nice that they make some $$$ but I had about $50 in the one you see on the thread. That's a lot of $$$ to be made. I realize not everybody has the tools, skills or know how to do this stuff but several did build one out of 1/2" thick plywood and took it to a metal shop and got one made and it was reasonable.

No matter which way you decide you will like what it does to your handling.
Old 11-29-2017, 02:58 PM   #4
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
The main difference is the color! And the $$. LOL

I went with the UltraTrac.
Old 11-29-2017, 04:48 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
I used the super steer track bar on my e450. Pricey but I do not have the time or skills to weld one together. It was easier to just buy one. Installed it myself in about 90 minutes. I like the results towing a dolly, improved handling, minimized the push by 18 wheelers. Highly recommended.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2017, 05:02 PM   #6

Forest River Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I installed the Blue Ox Trac Bar and it took about an hour. I don't have the materials and skill to build one either. I have noticed a major difference in handling, but I also installed a steering stabilizer on the front too. That was made by road master.
Old 11-29-2017, 05:37 PM   #7
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
I wish I could say that it was an hour job. Most miserable time spent under the rig.

If you are not inclined to DIY talk to https://www.brazelsrv.com/ for an install as they are in Centralia, WA and UltraTrac is their product.
Old 11-29-2017, 07:14 PM   #8

We got our rig about 6 months ago and on calm days it handled pretty well, but did get pushed around by passing trucks. On windy days it was dangerous to drive. After a lot of research and help from many on this forum, I installed a road master steering stabilizer, ultra trac trac bar, did the CHF, got a front end alignment, got it weighed, and adjusted the tire pressure. None of these changes made a huge difference, but collectively they have greatly improved handling. Wind, speed, road condition, and passing trucks still have an Impact, but it is now safe to drive and most of the time I am not white knuckled(narrow construction zones with passing trucks on a windy day are pretty sporty still).

Bottom line...it’s probably as good as it will get for a shipping container bolted to a truck frame. We are enjoying it so far, but still learning as we go.

Safe travels.
Old 11-30-2017, 06:17 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RRR View Post
I wish I could say that it was an hour job. Most miserable time spent under the rig.

If you are not inclined to DIY talk to https://www.brazelsrv.com/ for an install as they are in Centralia, WA and UltraTrac is their product.

I've been there just to ask questions. Nice people and a nice setup for us. Last time I went by there, the camp area for customers was pretty full. Also their labor costs are pretty high, $145 an hour. Ford in this area is $120 and they work on MH's also and sell them.
If one is as good as another, I would go for the lowest price then myself.
Thanks for the replies, appreciate it.
Old 11-30-2017, 10:39 AM   #10
RRR

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post
I've been there just to ask questions. Nice people and a nice setup for us. Last time I went by there, the camp area for customers was pretty full. Also their labor costs are pretty high, $145 an hour. Ford in this area is $120 and they work on MH's also and sell them.
What Ford dealer? I would be interested in finding one that is better than Northside Ford in Portland.
Old 11-30-2017, 11:10 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Not long ago talking to a roadmaster rep on the phone he had mentioned that they roadmaster make the track bar for supersteer.

My DIY track bar moving closer to the top of my to do list. Now that it's cooler here in Fl. i have no excuses. Already have the top link and stabilizer bracket. Next week it's under the coach to make the cardboard then wood template to take to the metal shop.
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2017, 01:49 PM   #12

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by edge68474 View Post

Our hourly rate is actually $125
Brazel's RV Performance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 06:15 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultra RV Tech View Post
Our hourly rate is actually $125
That's better. That's what I was told when I was there. Maybe my ears let me down again, lol.
The Ford dealer around here is Awesome Ford. In the same building is their RV section. I like them for the most part, but I'm not totally convinced on the trust part. I've gotten to know a couple people there that I like and can feel comfortable dealing with. Lloyd in Ford Service is great. I always give him a thumbs up.
Old 12-02-2017, 06:19 AM   #14

Oh yeah, TeJay, you always go the extra mile for us searching and helping us with our questions. I do appreciate that my friend, your " The Best "
Thanks a bunch.