RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-28-2010, 05:24 PM   #1

Rear wheel gear oil seal leaking

I have a 95 F53 with a rear end gear oil seal leak on the right rear wheel. I think I know how to replace the seal but would sure be grateful it if someone can go over the steps for replacing the seal as well as mention any special tools that may be required.

THANKS!

ArTravler is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-28-2010, 09:53 PM   #2
Community Moderator

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Welcome ArTravler to irv2,
Not sure this link will help but has info on F-53 replacement seals. Give it a try if not maybe we will hear from someone else.

RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 06:51 AM   #3

Is it the bearing seal or the seal at the axle end?
Old 03-01-2010, 07:10 AM   #4

Thanks for the help. Just what I needed!!! I already have the Ford Axle Locknut Socket but was not aware of the Step Plate for use with the puller. I will get the step plate to make sure I do the job correctly.

The workshop manual pages give a lot more detail and cautions on how to perform the job.

Thanks again!
Old 03-01-2010, 07:23 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
Is it the bearing seal or the seal at the axle end?
I have not torn into it yet but I am pretty sure it will be the bearing seal on the inboard side of the wheel. The gear oil can be seen on the inside of inboard rim of the dual wheels so I guess the oil is leaking from the bearing seal. It looks like the axle seal is an O-ring on the outboard side of the wheel hub. I think if I had a leak there the oil would be visible in other places.

I am third owner of the unit but it has good historical maintenance records. The records show this wheel had a problem with the brake caliper locking up as well as a leaking seal back around 2001. The caliper was replaced and a new seal installed.
Old 03-28-2010, 08:38 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
ArTravler, Please note that the information you received is for a 2000 F53. Your axle assembly is different. You don't have a ratching nut like in the 2000 instructions and you don't need the plate. You have two nuts and a tabbed washer that contain the bearings. Remove the bearing nuts and caliper and slide the rotor/hub assembly off.

Richard
RLS7201 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLS7201 View Post
ArTravler, Please note that the information you received is for a 2000 F53. Your axle assembly is different. You don't have a ratching nut like in the 2000 instructions and you don't need the plate. You have two nuts and a tabbed washer that contain the bearings. Remove the bearing nuts and caliper and slide the rotor/hub assembly off.

Richard
Thanks Richard,

I believe you are correct!

I have a copy of the 1996 Ford F53 Service Guide. The diagrams do show a hub locknut Part Number 4252. It does require a special spanner to remove the nut. The spaner part number is D78T-1197-A which I have on hand. There is no mention of a ratcheting nut so I figure the plain old lock nut is used in place of the ratcheting nut.

I am still finishing up some interior refurbishing before I start on the wheel work.

Thanks to everyone for their help on this subject. I will publish photos as I do the work for any future DIY who may need references.