Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-02-2014, 03:33 PM   #1

Removing front spacer; leaf springs

Hi,

I have a 34 foot, 2004 National Sea Breeze on the Ford F-53 Chassis.
The rear of the motor home drags on the slightest incline; so bad that I've bent up the anti- daggers welded to the chassis. They just about bent over to the side and punctured my gas tank!
I've since welded on some wheels under the chassis to help that problem. It still drags when leaving gas stations and grocery stores.
I've noticed that there are 2 spacers between the front springs and axle, on each side. I'm thinking of removing one or both to lower the front/ raise the back a little to alleviate this dragging problem.
Anybody else having this problem?
Can I just jack up the front and remove the 4 nuts on the u-bolts to remove the spacers in the front? I've seen where people recommend that you place C-clamps on the leaf springs, do I need to do that?
Thanks,

Mike
mxw1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-02-2014, 06:16 PM   #2

I would doubt that will change your rear ride height. If anything I would add a spacer to the rear to get it up higher. Adding a leaf or even air bags would help.
jamesrxx951 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2014, 07:02 PM   #3

I would find a good chassis shop and have them look at it. My front end was too low so they ended up using large spacers between the axle and springs.

If you start messing with that height, you will probably need new shackle bolts, and new center bolt, without a doubt a new alignment.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:10 AM   #4

Damon Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I would find a good chassis shop and have them look at it. My front end was too low so they ended up using large spacers between the axle and springs.

If you start messing with that height, you will probably need new shackle bolts, and new center bolt, without a doubt a new alignment.
X2

Don't forget about the front sway bar settings and leveling could be a issue. JM2¢...
teddyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 09:56 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mxw1 View Post
Hi,
I have a 34 foot, 2004 National Sea Breeze on the Ford F-53 Chassis.
The rear of the motor home drags on the slightest incline; so bad that I've bent up the anti- daggers welded to the chassis. They just about bent over to the side and punctured my gas tank!
I've since welded on some wheels under the chassis to help that problem. It still drags when leaving gas stations and grocery stores.
I've noticed that there are 2 spacers between the front springs and axle, on each side. I'm thinking of removing one or both to lower the front/ raise the back a little to alleviate this dragging problem.
Anybody else having this problem?
Can I just jack up the front and remove the 4 nuts on the u-bolts to remove the spacers in the front? I've seen where people recommend that you place C-clamps on the leaf springs, do I need to do that?
Thanks,
Mike
When i built my RV from the Ford Truck chassis. I had to some unconventional
things to make it work with the U-Haul box that became the body.
I had no choice but to swap out the 41 inch tall Rear tires for ones 36 inch tall lo pros and since I wanted the best ride I could get when I bought new tires for the front I went with 38 inch steer tires. This worked out OK because Ford installed a 2.5 inch spacer between the leafs and the axle. So I then removed the spacers and installed new U bolts.
on mine (or any straight axle) This doesn't effect the Camber or Toe in the slightest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post

Center bolts hold the spring pack together and don't hold the spacer on at all.
If you do remove the spacer and change the height Your steering wheel will turn slightly. (1-2 inchs at the rim)

I'd look into air bags for back as well if you still have problems.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
One thing that will help lessen the chance of bottoming out on driveways is to not take them straight on if you have the option. If you can exit or approach on an angle it''ll help a lot. Don't mean to insult your intelligence if you already do this but I didn't have this aha moment myself as soon as I should have.
Al
Old 03-03-2014, 12:40 PM   #7

Rather than messing with the front springs, I would recommend beefing up the rear springs. You might also consider adding a set of Firestone Ride-Rite air bags on the back springs and running 80psi or so. Had a similar problem with our 2000 coach so took it to a spring shop and had extra booster spring installed on the rear to eliminate the rear end drag....

Good luck with correcting your problem and safe travels...

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 10:12 AM   #8

Can't believe no one has asked. Have you had it weighed? If it's overweight, you'll need to address that first.

Is it on an '03 or '04 chassis? The reason I ask is the '04s have a 2.4" higher ride height. On my '04 I have never dragged the tail (once or twice with drop hitch). If you have an '04 I'd really be sure to check things out before adding any band aids.

Mine's right in my garage. If yours is an '04 I'd be happy to take a measurement or two for comparison. I'm a few hundred pounds underweight on both axles, so it should be a good reference.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 01:36 PM   #9

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would recommend taking it to a spring shop and have the current setup inspected. the leaf springs may be sagging from age and use which can be remedied by having the current spring packs re-arched and possibly adding a leaf to the pack. if that doesnt resolve your problem I would make sure you are not overloaded(as somebody mentioned previously) and maybe consider adding auxiliary air ride bags to your setup.
Sthwindrider is offline   Reply With Quote