RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-24-2019, 09:58 PM   #29

Did my tag on a 22.5 in tire. Torque was 500 fp. Used a breaker bar with the correct socket and after doing the math based on my body weight I used a pipe to get the proper torque. I used a short extension and a jack stand under the extension so the torque was applied to the log nut correctly. Worked well and after I got to a tire shop to do my front tires the tag checked out great

kenwyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-01-2019, 03:06 PM   #30

I used this dolly to remove and install wheel balances a few months ago. I used an impact to remove the lugs and a Torque wrench to replace.

KBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 04:07 PM   #31

Tiffin Owners Club
I recently bought a torque multiplier with sockets from ebay and used it to remove all my tires. It was about $50. You can tighten the wheels with it but you can't torque the wheels.
I used a 3 foot pry bar under the tires to lift them back into position. The entire process took some time and afterwards I took it ti Les Schwab to have them torque the wheels to 450 lbs.
Old 08-01-2019, 05:04 PM   #32

Replacing tires on your Honda’s are nothing compared to the 22.5 inch tires on a motorhome. I carry a phone number of someone who has access to the tools has the experience and can get their hands on a tire if necessary.
mikena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 05:07 PM   #33

More power to you, I don’t even feel comfortable airing out the tires on the coach LOL are you kidding me.

Zzotte
Old 08-01-2019, 05:19 PM   #34

Really good advice here. I do my own 19.5 tires with an impact gun, torque wrench and a tire iron to lift the wheel back on. The only thing I would add is don't jack up the wheels too high. A half inch off the ground is plenty and you don't have near the problem getting the wheel back on.
AITG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2019, 06:13 PM   #35

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
That Harbor Freight jack is a excellent idea for the fronts. Another solution to remove and install those heavy tires & wheels is the ESCO (ESC70130) Truck Wheel Dolly. It has a long handle and gives you a lot of leverage when raising the wheel onto the axle. Last I checked the price was about $90 on amazon.
Big_Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 08:05 AM   #36

I am a disabled senior citizen who walks with a cane and I can still do my own tire changes. I carry a roofers pancake compressor, a 650 ft lb impact wrench, 20 ton bottle jack and a torque wrench with me all the time along with a mounted spare.

Lift the tire up so it just clears the ground, remove the simulators along with the fill extensions, take off the lug nuts being careful to not over speed gall up the lugs/studs and and walk the wheel off. Putting another on is the reverse and if the axle is a bit too high I use the pet 2X4 with the beveled end that is for popping up stuck leveling jacks to lift the tire onto the hub in a fashion similar to how a drywaller uses his foot pedal lift to raise a sheet 1/2 inch above floor level before attaching it to the wall. Since I have the F53 with the 19.5 inch tires a beam style torque wrench is used to tighten them to spec however if I had 22.5 inch rims with a higher torque spec I would use Torque Limiting Stick on the impact wrench. Torque Limiting Sticks are basically Torsion Bars that will flex to absorb the impacts from you impact wrench preventing it from tightening them past their stamped rating so you just run the impact wrench until the stick reaches the point where the impacts start bouncing back and your done.

Old 08-02-2019, 08:16 AM   #37

Not Me

I have changed tires on cars, light trucks, and trailers that are small and light but I would not attempt it on a heavy class A with 255/70R 0n a 22.5" rim. These are truck tires that weigh over 100 lbs and it is a job for someone with the correct tools and experience. With over 8 tons on a rear axle it can fall and kill you.
Old 08-02-2019, 08:23 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayza View Post
Thanks, it doesn't sound untackleable.

I have 22.5" tires on a 2018 24K F53 Chassis.

I googled a video to see if anybody else has removed them, and the guy was using what looked like a jackhammer with a 22" socket on it

https://youtu.be/k4HDe0zZ5ro?t=21

That's a air impact gun, it will undo most any nut in 2 seconds.
Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2019, 09:02 AM   #39

The short anwser is yes it is possible. You must be perpared with the proper tools. Unless you hav a 1" impact wrench and compressor it is a bit more challanging however it can be done. The big issue is the amount of torque you will need for the nuts. This is one of the few compact soulitions I have found.

Rember the first thing is saftey, If your just trying to be perpared for the road try it at home first and then have your work checked at your local tire shop. Good luck Ed

After posting I went and checker the links, they do not seam to work anymore. If oy search "Torque Multiplier Set Wrench Lug Nut Labor Saving Lugnuts Remover " either on google or ebay you will find many offerings.
webcrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2019, 05:27 AM   #40

X12 wrench

I have one of these. Perfect for taking off and putting on lug nuts. Well worth the price.

https://boston.craigslist.org/bmw/rv...944025657.html

X-12 torque multiplier wrench $400.00 cash

This is the Cadillac of torque multiplying lug nut wrenches. Don’t risk busting your butt or breaking a limb with makeshift rigs to loosen or tighten your RV lug nuts. This thing is a very high quality tool. No Chinese junk here. Excellent condition. It has saved me several times. Very hard to find nowadays.

See below for additional info

https://www.ebay.com/itm/X-12-Plus-G...-/150072013022
Irvwith2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 10:50 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
Thom, The lug holes on the wheels on your 2010 are smaller and the correct size, so you don't need the sleeves (they won't fit anyway).

The problem was 1999, 2000, and some 2001 19.5 inch wheels, the holes were to large.

Well add 2007 chassis as well, my 19.5 rims to were causing a vibration and after many fixes that never worked I replaced my rims with new ones and the vibration stopped..

jackreno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install, tires