Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-03-2015, 01:04 AM   #1

Replaced fuel pump but is it the right one?

Finding parts for my RV has been a challenge. The original fuel pump was a completely corroded with varnish. It had sat in old fuel for 5 years. I cleaned out the tank and replace the fuel pump by visual and engine size. Used the same year ford truck with the v10 engine. But one thing I forgot to check before I put it all back together was the 3 line for the generator. The pump came with the 3 line capped off with a plastic plug ( delphi hp10081). The engine runs fine with this pump. But I'm still not getting fuel out of the feed line for the generator. Anyone know if this pump was right? I even called Delphi but they were completely useless. All thry could tell me was it could be for venting or it would feed the genny. The tank has just over a 1/4 of gas in it now. If this 3 line doesn't feed the genny, could I just T into the engine feed line?
Bmwtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Most generators won't get fuel from the tank when the tank is only about a 1/4 full. Before you do anything else I would add fuel until the tank was at least 1/2 full.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 05:10 AM   #3

I've found that my 99, E450s generator won't run unless it's almost 1/3 of a tank.

Putting a T in the engine line will make the generator pump try to pull fuel thru the in tank pump. I don't know if that will work.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 06:07 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
The tank fuel pump does not pump fuel to the generator. The generator has its own fuel pump to pull the fuel out of the fuel tank. The generator tube at the fuel pump hanger is just a tube down into the fuel.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2015, 02:36 PM   #5

Also if this thing sat for five years you might want to replace the fuel filter in the genny fuel line, it might not be passing fuel.
jergeod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2015, 10:24 PM   #6

My Gen wont start unless I have over 1/4 tank of gas.
97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #7

I replaced the genny pump and filter, and spark plugs
Chassis fuel pump, fuel filter , most fuel and vapor lines and filler hoses.
Old 12-05-2015, 02:32 PM   #8

See if this is possible. Disconnect the fuel line feeding the generator and connect it to a hand vacuum pump and see if it will pull fuel from the tank.
z3406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:44 PM   #9

I took the line off at the gen and blew into it and all I could hear was air...I knew then the hose was not in the gas...
97 TropiCal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 04:49 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabrooks View Post
Most generators won't get fuel from the tank when the tank is only about a 1/4 full. Before you do anything else I would add fuel until the tank was at least 1/2 full.
Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
The tank fuel pump does not pump fuel to the generator. The generator has its own fuel pump to pull the fuel out of the fuel tank. The generator tube at the fuel pump hanger is just a tube down into the fuel.
Yeah! What they said!
Old 12-06-2015, 04:48 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sounds like you might have a hole in the fuel line from the tank to the generator.
If you are hearing the air the fuel filler tube then you may not have enough fuel in the tank to run the generator.

From your question I am guessing you replaced the whole hanger, sender and fuel module. You described a fuel hanger that had the three tubes but I do not know where you bought it or its part number.
Also you have not said what chassis you have but we are guessing you have an F53 and not an E-series.
With all of that information we might be able to understand your problem more.
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2015, 12:15 PM   #12

It's a 99 pace arrow vision (ford chassis) replace fuel pump/sender unit with delphi hp10081 bought at autozone. The unit matched perfectly- plug connectors and bolt holes. 3 fuel line came capped off with plastic plug.

I did try the vacume pump but it was before I knew about the 1/4 fuel requirements ( wouldn't hold a vacume) but getting fuel into it is a pain getting 2 5 gallon at a time.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:38 PM   #13

Took me a while to get enough fuel in the tank but as it turns out it was the right fuel pump (Delphi hp10081) got the genny to run once it had enough fuel in the tank.
Old 12-25-2015, 01:42 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Glad that it wasn't anything that required more parts and labor. Thanks for posting the outcome.
dabrooks is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
ace, fuel, replace