Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-23-2014, 09:24 PM   #1

Replacing Engine Coolant

I am in the process of replacing the engine coolant on a 2003 R-Vision Condor equipped with a Triton V-10. My question is how is the new coolant added? I do not see a radiator cap on the radiator, and the only way I see to get coolant into the radiator is through the over fill plastic bottle by way of the block. I intend to replace all the radiator hoses as well which I think will allow all the old coolant to drain out. The motor home only has 40,486 miles but I do not believe the previous owners ever replaced the coolant or the hoses. I almost hate to have to ask this question, but I have never had to use the overfill bottle to replace the coolant before. Thanks in advance for any replies.
chacho is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-24-2014, 08:26 AM   #2

I changed mine recently, and after much investigation into different processes to get the job done, none was really an easy job, even the pressure system.

As my rig is just sitting here I decided to do the diminishing anti-freeze method. I took off the refill bottle cap off, opened the petcock beneath the radiator, leaving the interior of the engine untouched. Then I replenished the radiator with clear water, and went for a drive to mix it all up, which, of course became a diluted water/anti-freeze mixture.

The next day I did it all over, then again, and again, until it was mostly clear water. Then I put full strength anti=freeze in, took a ride to mix, and came out with near 50/50 mix!

Takes time, but not really much work, and didn't have to tear anything apart just to get the antifreeze out of the block. I never found the drain plugs anyway, which contributed to my decision to use my method.

Just my way.

Ed
Ed-Sommers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:32 AM   #3

Replacing engine coolant

First off Ed, thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread. I can see your method would work in getting the coolant out of the engine block and of course out of the radiator as well. As mentioned in my original thread I intend to replace the hoses which I believe are the originals, which would make them at least 10 years old. I suppose then the only way to get the coolant into the radiator and the engine block is by way of the plastic over fill bottle. I do appreciate your response. Take care.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:52 AM   #4

get antifreeze out of system

Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
First off Ed, thank you for taking the time to respond to my thread. I can see your method would work in getting the coolant out of the engine block and of course out of the radiator as well. As mentioned in my original thread I intend to replace the hoses which I believe are the originals, which would make them at least 10 years old. I suppose then the only way to get the coolant into the radiator and the engine block is by way of the plastic over fill bottle. I do appreciate your response. Take care.
I used to have a winnibago gas rig. Remembering how it was, on your rig you should find a drain valve on the bottom of the cool side of the radiator, ( the side that the large hose returns water to the engine, this hose usually goes to the water pump on the engine.) Next on each side of the engine block you'll find a plug low on the block not to far above the point where the oil pan is. These on GM engines is usually a 9/16 hex headded plug. Remove those and you can drain the block. At this point you can service any hose in the engine cooling system. You could buy a flushing connector and splice into one of your heater hoses. Connecting a garden hose to this This would get all the old antifreeze out. Then drain as much of the flushing water out. Now when you pull hoses loose to replace they won't be full of smelly antifreeze just some of the left over water from the flushing. Another way you might drain is to catch as much 50/50 antifreeze as you can with the plugs removed and draining the radiator then hook up the garden hose to the flushing tee and rinse out the remaining stinky coolant. That would minimize the amount of antifreeze to the environment, make servicing your rig much more pleasant. You might find a coolant access cap on a surge tank between your engine and radiator if there is no cap to be seen on the hot end of the radiator. This is quite common on larger vehicles these days.
Hope I've helped
Loren
Old 02-24-2014, 10:08 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Chachoo not use the long life antifreeze in your engine. You must use Ford E2FZ-19549-AA. This is the green antifreeze. It coats the inside of the coolant system with a coating. If you use the wrong antifreeze, it will break loose the coating and cause all kinds of troubles. This is not some story I heard at the water cooler. This is straight from the head engineer at Ford. He is the guy who designed the engine.
Old 02-24-2014, 12:18 PM   #6

My '04 requires gold coolant.

Motorcraft Usage Chart

'02 and up use gold/yellow according to the above chart.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 05:31 PM   #7

It's really easier and more beneficial (although costlier) to have it flushed.
5 Benefits of a Radiator Flush - CarsDirect
Mich F is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:42 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho View Post
I am in the process of replacing the engine coolant on a 2003 R-Vision Condor equipped with a Triton V-10. My question is how is the new coolant added? I do not see a radiator cap on the radiator, and the only way I see to get coolant into the radiator is through the over fill plastic bottle by way of the block.
How many hoses do you have connected to the plastic expansion bottle? If you have two a 3/4" or 1" at the bottom (don't remember the size) and a smaller 5/16" one at the top, as you pour the coolant in the plastic tank it will go down the larger hose into the radiator/engine and the air with pushed out the upper smaller hose. If yours is that way, once the coolant stops going down, start the engine and keep an eye on the level, add as needed. At least that's the way it worked on my 99 when I changed all the hoses and coolant.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 11:54 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BTW, I also replaced the thermostat and tank cap. Got the cap from Ford. After draining the coolant and before replacing the hoses, I filled the cooling system a couple of times with distilled water. Ran the engine up to operating temperature in between the filling. If you use full strength coolant, dilute it with distilled water.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2014, 07:10 AM   #10

Replacing engine coolant

Thanks Chuck, great info on refilling the radiator and the engine block. Yesterday I drained what I could out of the radiator and the hoses, but did not replace the hoses yet. I did refill with water only and ran the RV to operating temp and also ran the heater in the cab. This morning I will drain again and see if the water is clear. Hopefully I can refill with water one more time, drain and replace the hoses. I do have the bottle that you described with only one hose coming off the bottom of the plastic bottle. Thanks again, take care.
Old 02-25-2014, 07:58 AM   #11

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
My '04 requires gold coolant.

Motorcraft Usage Chart

'02 and up use gold/yellow according to the above chart.
I thought the engineer said through 2005, However it looks like you are correct. The 1997 through 2001 are required to use the green. I got my years wrong. twenty lashes with a wet noodle for me.