Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-22-2018, 05:54 PM   #15

Send a message via ICQ to Vicr Send a message via AIM to Vicr
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetbriar View Post
I would not trust a spec sheet until verified. Production could change at anytime while the spec sheet is updated once a model year. The same for the model year chassis the coach is built on. The coach could be a 2016 while the chassis could be a 2015. Chassis and coach model years are not always in sync.
So if we can't trust the specifications published by Ford what can we trust?
Vicr is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #16
Moderator Emeritus

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
That's correct.
Well...if this is true and someone swaps spring packs, here's hopes that it is posted here.

Would be very interested to see specifics.

But hope the owner realizes that as spring rate is increased, unloaded ride is impacted as well.

Best luck
Kim and Steve, Mustang LCDR (USCG Ret), Outlaw #1193
https://www.irv2.com/attachments/signaturepics/sigpic84535_7.gif
WE LOVE OUR OUTLAW RV
Scarab0088 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2018, 04:24 AM   #17

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
They spec sheet we're all used to is from the Body Builder's Layout Book. Page 1 includes the following statement -

"The specifications and designs described herein are believed to be correct as of the time that this book was approved for printing, but accuracy cannot be guaranteed. They are intended only to provide basic data regarding such matters as dimensions and weight ratings of Ford built chassis. The information contained in this book is general and nothing contained herein is to be regarded as providing specific or comprehensive instructions for the completion of a particular vehicle or as authorization by Ford of the specific modifications, alteration or designs of individual vehicles."

If you wish to find the layout book for a particular model year - https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...bodybuild.html

Just verify what you have before getting you hopes up too high. Easy enough to find the axle tag. The heavier axle has been an option for coach builders since around 2009 so it is very possible that's what might be there.
Old 02-22-2018, 10:23 PM   #18

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Send a message via AIM to JIMBO34PA Send a message via Yahoo to JIMBO34PA
mike; this has been brought up on tiffin site . To upgrade (replace) rear springs to 26k is a labor consuming issue because the fresh water tank framework is welded and is in the way of the front spring perch bolt. I have checked part numbers on my 2016 24k to a 2017 26k . yes the springs are different and spring deflection ,but rear axles are the same 6:17 , rear brake rotors and calipers are different # but supersede to the same part number . If I ever decide I need the extra capacity I will find a truck spring shop and have a leaf added . Jim
Old 02-23-2018, 03:03 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicr View Post
As mentioned the spec sheet is published before the model year production begins. Ford reserves to make running changes throughout the model year.

The same thing is true of Winnebago. They publish the product brochures before the start of the model year, but there are changes throughout the year. The 2013 model year comes to mind. The brochures and spec sheets were released in August of 2013. As of October 1st 2013 they changed the entire look of the front end of the Adventurer. Those produced before Oct. 1 2013 look like the 2012 models. Those produced after October 1st look like the 2014 models.

As for the difference in cost between a 24K model and a 26K model. If it is really $3,000.00 there must be something more than just the springs. Replacement springs are available for around $250.00 for a pair. Granted they aren't Motorcraft, but even if Ford charges double that price there's still another $2,500.00 difference that hasn't been accounted for.
Old 02-23-2018, 04:21 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMBO34PA View Post
mike; this has been brought up on tiffin site . To upgrade (replace) rear springs to 26k is a labor consuming issue because the fresh water tank framework is welded and is in the way of the front spring perch bolt. I have checked part numbers on my 2016 24k to a 2017 26k . yes the springs are different and spring deflection ,but rear axles are the same 6:17 , rear brake rotors and calipers are different # but supersede to the same part number . If I ever decide I need the extra capacity I will find a truck spring shop and have a leaf added . Jim

The rear axle and all things attached (brakes / calipers) are identical between the 24k and 26k.... It is just the springs, please look closely at the chassis spec (link in this thread, and excerpt below) because it can be a bit confusing. They both have the exact same rear axle with a 17,500# weight rating, and the same 9,000# rated front axle.

The 24k is 9k front and 15,500 rear, based on 15.5k springs on the 17.5k axle. Yes, it totals 24.5k, but the total GVWR is only 24k.

The 26k is 9k front and 17,500 rear axle and springs. Yes, 26.5k, front + rear, but only 26k total allowed.

Also, look at the unladen weight between the 2 chassis, with the same wheelbase, it's something like 11# (yes, eleven pounds), that's it.

I think the confusion is that there is a 15k rated rear axel, which is used on the 22k chassis, it is not the axle that is used on the 24k, and yes, it has different rotors and calipers....

And as can be clearly seen here, the rotors are the same size on the 24k and 26k. Also note that the brake size match on the f/r axle configs.

Again, the 17.5k axle is the 17.5k axle.....

Maybe I'm missing something, but it seems to be fairly clear, and it would make little to no sense from a manufacturing perspective to make such minor changes on the 17.5k rear axle assembly that can easily be used on 2 chassis with no modification other than spring ratings.

As for the price difference, I don't get it either. The 22k and 24k chassis are entirely different, and the list price from Tiffin for the upgrade was $3,600 if I remember correctly. Why the difference between the 24k and 26k is $3k is beyond me, other than that's what it is (we have no idea what the price difference is from Ford)....

Regards
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.png
Views:	52
Size:	158.9 KB
ID:	193406  
Betr2Trvl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2018, 06:13 PM   #21

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I think the $3000+ price delta question between the 24K and 26K chassis is easily answered. It is what an uninformed market will pay for additional weight capability if it doesn't know the details of the differences when in the process of buying the rig. Ford handed the RV manufacturers an easy profit source for the price of a set of springs. Plain and simple. However, for those of you reading this thread and considering the purchase of anything that might be available on either the 24K or 26K chassis, don't accept the $3000 delta for the 26K if that is what you want. You are only buying springs.

Just one other comment, and it's been mentioned previously. The extra 2K rear axle capability does not add to the GCWR. It's static at 30K. So if you add the 2K to the GVWR via the rear axle, you lose 2K from the max weight you can tow. There is no such thing as a free lunch...
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
f53