Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-12-2012, 05:19 PM   #1

Forest River Owners Club
Replacing Neutral Safety Switch

My 1999 Winnebago with Ford F53 chassis has been getting hard to shift into gear as the shift lever has been getting progressively stiff. While troubleshooting the problem I discovered that the neutral safety switch on the side of the transmission is the problem. It looks like the switch is held on by two bolts and then pulls off over the shift shaft. However, it does not want to come off. Has anyone replaced this switch?
Towing 2014 Jeep Wrangler Sahara
corvettec3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-12-2012, 06:01 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
Disconnect the shift cable first and see if the stalk moves free on the column now.
I have heard of this problem before and it was not the TR sensor on the transmission.
The last two TR sensors I changed I had to kinda pry them off the shaft.

PS you do not need the tool to adjust the TR sensor just line up the marks on it with the transmission in neutral and tighten the two bolts.

Here is a link to the 1999 4R100 transmission manual that tells you everything about it.
http://www.dieseltechtalk.com/forums...Smanual994.pdf

/
subford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 06:28 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Thanks Bill for that link. So it just pries off. I was scared of breaking something else that may have been holding it on. It definitely is the TR sesnsor that is seizing up and making for the stiff shifting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by subford View Post
Disconnect the shift cable first and see if the stalk moves free on the column now.
I have heard of this problem before and it was not the TR sensor on the transmission.
The last two TR sensors I changed I had to kinda pry them off the shaft.

PS you do not need the tool to adjust the TR sensor just line up the marks on it with the transmission in neutral and tighten the two bolts.

Here is a link to the 1999 4R100 transmission manual that tells you everything about it.
http://www.dieseltechtalk.com/forums...Smanual994.pdf

/
Old 09-13-2012, 05:59 AM   #4

Tiffin Owners Club
This is a very common problem here in New England. The switch does not go bad but the steel shaft it is mounted on rusts and expands causing increased effort on the shifting mechanism. I see them in my shop when they have broken the shift tube on the steering column due to high effort. I pry the old ones off. The plastic center stays on the shaft, so I then scar a line in it and split it so it comes off. Now the steel shaft need attention. If there is a lot of rust build up you will have to remove it so the new switch will go on with out damaging it. There are two slots in the shaft as well you what to make sure are okay. Use something to prevent more rust build up and dielectric grease on the connector.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 06:33 AM   #5

Forest River Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrv8outboard View Post
This is a very common problem here in New England. The switch does not go bad but the steel shaft it is mounted on rusts and expands causing increased effort on the shifting mechanism. I see them in my shop when they have broken the shift tube on the steering column due to high effort. I pry the old ones off. The plastic center stays on the shaft, so I then scar a line in it and split it so it comes off. Now the steel shaft need attention. If there is a lot of rust build up you will have to remove it so the new switch will go on with out damaging it. There are two slots in the shaft as well you what to make sure are okay. Use something to prevent more rust build up and dielectric grease on the connector.
That is exactly what happened. I just got it back together a few minutes ago. The switch was fine and once I got it off with a pry bar I could see the heavy buildup of rust. Once I got the shaft cleaned up I coated it with wheel bearing grease and slid the switch back over. It now works like new again. I can see where those shafts would have to be replaced in some circumstances, especially if the slots that the switch needs for engagement were corroded away.

Tags
safety