Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-28-2011, 05:54 PM   #1

Question Ride quality

1. Am I correct in thinking air bags would likely improve my ride quality (bumps, expansion joints, etc).

2. On a 2011 F53 chassis, I gather from reading here I have a front sway bar but no rear, is that correct?

If that is true and I have no rear sway bar:
3. Would a Trac-bar likely improve the wind effect from passing trucks or would I be better off installing a rear sway bar?

So much to learn...
New owner would appreciate some help sorting this all out.

Thank you.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-28-2011, 07:27 PM   #2

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Coastal Campers
Your rig came stock with Bilstein shocks which are IMHO, a stiff riding shock absorber. New Koni FSD's would give you a better ride, but your rig is brand new and changing out shocks at this point in time may not be the way to go. I cannot comment on air bags.

A rear anti sway bar would markedly improve the influence that passing trucks have on your rig. I installed a sway bar on my rig recently and it improved the handling as did the Koni's with the ride quality. When I was considering getting a rear trac bar or a rear sway bar, my installer advised that the sway bar would be better, because it helps with both the truck effect and the porposing that some rigs experience. It all depends upon the wheel base that your rig has, 208 inch or 228 inch and of course the tire inflation of your tires.
CoastieSCPO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 09:15 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Air bags won't improve the ride, but will help level side to side. They help with sway and side winds.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:10 PM   #4

I have a 242" wheel base... and while I'm not totally uncomfortable driving it I think it could be better.

Yeah, I would hate to replace shocks so early in the game. I think the rear sway bar will be my first improvement.

Thanks for your input.
Z714X4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 10:26 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Nor'easters Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
You have a new coach will take time for you and it to become accustom to each other.
Bags will support the spring suspension system of your coach.
You need a rear track bar that will keep coach body from tail wagging the dog.
The bar can be found at any good RV DEALER and sponsors on this forum.
The new Ford chassis already has one in front.
RV SYSTEMS & APPLIANCES & RECALLS --- TECH INFORMATION
"007" is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 05:43 AM   #6
KJB

Interesting post for me since I have the same chassis as you do. On our first outing which was a 3,500 trip, I thought the handling was great but the ride was terrible. I was running the maximum tire pressure on that trip. I reduced the tire pressure according to the Goodyear chart which for my load was 80 psi. That alone made a big difference in the ride quality and didn’t affect the handling on our next trip of 2,000 miles. But I still wanted more ride improvement and went with the Kelderman air ride package. That made a major improvement in the ride and the handling is still great in my opinion. Handling has never been an issue for me and while I don’t do it often, there were days when we would make 500 miles in a day and with just one hand on the steering wheel, I thought my F-53 handled fine.
KJB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:10 AM   #7

We also have a 2011 242" and ours too was ok to drive but rode somewhat harsh for the first 5000 mi. I too adjusted the air pressure and that and perhaps the chassis (shocks/springs) relaxing a bit, is now very enjoyable to ride in. Another thing we noticed with additional miles (now 9000) is the sound level of the engine seemed to be reduced as well as we put on more miles? Perhaps I have learned to drive it better, or my hearing is getting worse?
Doghauler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #8

i put firestone air bags on 6 months ago and run them at 20#. i was mainly tring to make the highway concrete strips a little less annoying, which i feel it did. it didn't help greatly, but it didn't cost that much and was easy to put on. i am thinking the 22.5 wheels are the big difference.
Old 07-29-2011, 07:03 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyb View Post
i am thinking the 22.5 wheels are the big difference.
Do you mean the 22.5" cause the problem...or that 22.5" would improve the problem?

Thanks...Tom R
TomR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 07:52 AM   #10

i think that the 22.5 wheels that came on the unit must improve the ride considerably.

Tags
quality