Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-03-2017, 06:32 AM   #29

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
ga traveler,

I guess I drew incorrect conclusions from some basic information about oil.

I've heard about the viscosity index enhancers. Then there's all the discussions about the weights of oil, which was usually interpreted (right or wrong) as an oils thickness. Often some owners would change from a 10W-30 to a 20W-50 if they started burning oil or loosing compression thinking that the thicker oil would better seal the rings.

With those practices and that information it's was very easy to draw the conclusion that a multi-viscosity oil of 5W-30 will get thicker as it heats up. Even straight weight oils as the numbers go up from 5 to 40 appear to be thicker.

I stand corrected and thanks for the heads up. I can go to bed because I learned some new stuff. Only problem is with age to learn something new I'll probably forget something else.
I built engines for Delta Air Lines for 15 years. (prop and Jet) Delta wrote off $50,000.00 from the government for my schooling. taxes. ( I found this in my paperwork when retiring.) I have posted before that I am not picking at people, or finding fault. I just try to keep wrong stories from living forever. It has been fifty years since I went to school on oil. If I remember correctly, Oil weight is determined by putting oil in a container with a hole drilled in the bottom. according to which size hole the oil will pass through, that is the viscosity. 10 wt oil will not go through a 5 wt hole , etc. Straight wt oils are thicker as you go up the scale. So are the multi viscosity oils. Yes many people switched from 10W30 to 20W50. As I said before the first number is the viscosity. Therefore they went from a 10 wt to a 20 wt. with either oil.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-03-2017, 06:39 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Run it until hot and then change it.

Gets all of the particles that settled out, back in suspension, within the oil.
^^^^^^ Follow this Advice^^^^^^

Busskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2017, 11:50 AM   #31

Thanks TeJay and ga traveler for correcting my mistaken understanding of what the W meant, and for furthering my understanding of how multi grade oils function.

Steve
dix39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2017, 06:46 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Run it until hot and then change it.

Gets all of the particles that settled out, back in suspension, within the oil.
Ditto. When you pull the plug let it drain for about 30 minutes.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 09:44 AM   #33

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
OK
Sooooooooo
At the Jiffy Lube which I don't use.
Your in and out in a matter of seconds!!
Good or Bad

My point is obviously the key is to change the oil on a regular basis!
Ted Lambert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2017, 10:08 AM   #34

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I built engines for Delta Air Lines for 15 years. (prop and Jet) Delta wrote off $50,000.00 from the government for my schooling. taxes. ( I found this in my paperwork when retiring.) I have posted before that I am not picking at people, or finding fault. I just try to keep wrong stories from living forever. It has been fifty years since I went to school on oil. If I remember correctly, Oil weight is determined by putting oil in a container with a hole drilled in the bottom. according to which size hole the oil will pass through, that is the viscosity. 10 wt oil will not go through a 5 wt hole , etc. Straight wt oils are thicker as you go up the scale. So are the multi viscosity oils. Yes many people switched from 10W30 to 20W50. As I said before the first number is the viscosity. Therefore they went from a 10 wt to a 20 wt. with either oil.
This reminds me of a discussion we had on a night shift.
At a coffee break the topic was oil and of course some of it was based on fact some and I would say most was based on opinion.

Because the temp was minus -40 we decided to put three cans of oil outside for aprox 6 hours.
30wt.......would not pour
10wt.......would pour but not well
10/30wt..poured good and of course nobody new why but it did.
This was in the early 1970's

I was running 100 Aeroshell in my aircraft and in the screen I would get carbon buildup. It was really hard to keep the engine temp up in cold conditions.
I even had the orifice on the oil line plug with carbon which indicated that I lost my oil pressure.
I switched to Aeroshell 15/50 and my carbon problem went away and I was no longer having issues with engine heat.
I am not a techie but I would sure like to here some opinions.
40 years later and 3 aircraft i still us multigrade in everything.
the 460 I use Mobile fully synthetic 5w/30
Old 02-08-2017, 01:35 PM   #35

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
This reminds me of a discussion we had on a night shift.
At a coffee break the topic was oil and of course some of it was based on fact some and I would say most was based on opinion.

Because the temp was minus -40 we decided to put three cans of oil outside for aprox 6 hours.
30wt.......would not pour
10wt.......would pour but not well
10/30wt..poured good and of course nobody new why but it did.
This was in the early 1970's

I was running 100 Aeroshell in my aircraft and in the screen I would get carbon buildup. It was really hard to keep the engine temp up in cold conditions.
I even had the orifice on the oil line plug with carbon which indicated that I lost my oil pressure.
I switched to Aeroshell 15/50 and my carbon problem went away and I was no longer having issues with engine heat.
I am not a techie but I would sure like to here some opinions.
40 years later and 3 aircraft i still us multigrade in everything.
the 460 I use Mobile fully synthetic 5w/30
10wt and 10W30 or exactly the same wt. My guess (and you know where guessing will get you.) Is that the viscosity enhansers caused the 10W30 oil to flow better at -40 degrees. A side note:Shell came out with aeroshell in the fifties. Several of our customers at the Southern Aero (A FBO where I worked during high school) rebuilt their aircraft engines and had trouble with oil usage when using aeroshell. Shell came out with a service bulletin saying not to use aeroshell in a newly rebuilt engine. It worked so well, the rings would not seat. They said to wait several ours before switching to aeroshell.
Old 02-08-2017, 02:00 PM   #36

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
10wt and 10W30 or exactly the same wt. My guess (and you know where guessing will get you.) Is that the viscosity enhansers caused the 10W30 oil to flow better at -40 degrees. A side note:Shell came out with aeroshell in the fifties. Several of our customers at the Southern Aero (A FBO where I worked during high school) rebuilt their aircraft engines and had trouble with oil usage when using aeroshell. Shell came out with a service bulletin saying not to use aeroshell in a newly rebuilt engine. It worked so well, the rings would not seat. They said to wait several ours before switching to aeroshell.
Yes I recall that. bulletin and I would run 50 hrs after minor cylinder work.

I hope the Op will forgive me if I stole this thread.
But I am wondering what viscosity most of us F53 Drivers run?
Is 5/30 too light for this application?
Old 02-08-2017, 02:50 PM   #37

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Yes I recall that. bulletin and I would run 50 hrs after minor cylinder work.

I hope the Op will forgive me if I stole this thread.
But I am wondering what viscosity most of us F53 Drivers run?
Is 5/30 too light for this application?
Ford calls for 5W30 in the 6.8 V10. I was lucky enough to talk to the head engine engineer for Ford at the dealer show every year in Louisville. He designed the V10. He said the modern engines have such close tolerances 5W30 works best.

Tags
engine