RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-09-2019, 04:24 PM   #1

Safe-T-Plus vs Roadmaster RSSA.....is there a difference?

These two SEEM to be the most mentioned steering stabilizers. Is one any better than the other, and if so, why?

One of these (unless another contender pops up) is going on my Bay Star, but I can't really suss out which would be preferable.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-09-2019, 05:45 PM   #2

Safe-T-Plus vs Roadmaster RSSA.....is there a difference?

I just put a Safe T Plus on my Bay Star last week. It was recommended by the suspension shop that did some other work for me. They are an authorized Roadmaster installer, but the tech recommended the Safe T Plus over the Roadmaster product stating theyíve had better results with it.

In my research I never found any complaints about the Roadmaster, but I found what seemed to be a preference by many to go the Safe T Plus route.

Newmar2856 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2019, 10:09 PM   #3

We just had a Saf-T-Plus installed on our Tiffin 32SA and the difference was incredible! The shop had Loadmaster product, but recommended Saf-T-Plus and I am not disappointed.
HighDesert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2019, 05:25 AM   #4

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
What's the profit margin for the seller/installer on a product with a retail price of $500 versus $300? Both are going to do the same thing just depends on how much you're willing to spend. Myself, I install a roadmaster in the driveway. Took me 30 minutes. Does what the manufacturer advertised and cost me $200 less than the competing product.

And your question - "Is one any better than the other, and if so, why?" What ever an owner installed is going to be the superior product because - that's what the guy at the dealer or shop recommended, because of the lower cost, because that's what was under the Christmas Tree, because what's what my buddy has, because (insert reason here),,,
Old 09-10-2019, 07:12 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sweetbriar, very well stated. There's nothing like a recommendation to sway ones actions. We all give in to recommendations. It makes us feel better. I try to ask knowledgeable impartial folks if and when I can find them. We all use the forum but in this case I'm not sure one is better over the other since they are essentially the same product.

There are two variables that do matter but an owner would have to try both on the same RV to determine if one is better. Both products have a spring that assists in keeping the steering wheel centered. We all have power steering so the extra pressure of the spring does not require the driver to use more force to steer.

We also have the Steer Safe installed which adds 4 more smaller springs which keep the steering wheel centered in case of a blow out. It still steers with ease.

The second factor is the valving of the shock. I'm certain both shocks resist movement in either direction but how much resistance is decided by the shock builder.

The SAFE -T- PLUS has the spring internally and the RSSA has the spring externally. We installed the RSSA and yes the cost was less. We recently drove 2,053 miles in 7 days traveling east and all the driving was very relaxed and comfortable. Seldom was there any effect from passing semis or wind gusts. When it happened is was very minimal.

The amount of tension on the spring would affect how much centering pressure it has. We don't know the stats on that so nobody can state for sure if one is stronger than the other.
Old 09-11-2019, 10:12 AM   #6

I have been wondering how well these work. I will install myself and I am leaning towards Safe T steer for my 03 32ft monaco knight.

dazzo55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
roadmaster