Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-02-2010, 07:45 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Scangauge II Water Temperature

I have observed high temperatures on the Scangauge II on my 1999 Ford F53 with V10. In ambient 90 degree temps the average temperature is between 215 degrees and 220 degrees. on longer hills will run to 228 degrees and even peaked at 233 degrees and 235 degrees once. There was nothing other than the Scangauge II to indicate it was running hot. I wonder where the water temperature is actually picked up.
John Hilley is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-02-2010, 08:37 AM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
The temp sensors are in two places I believe, one is up by the thermostat housing, and one is towards the rear of the engine under the intake manifold, I'd remove and check your thermostat it may not be opening properly. Probably the easiest would be to just change it.
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 09:43 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Sharon View Post
The temp sensors are in two places I believe, one is up by the thermostat housing, and one is towards the rear of the engine under the intake manifold, I'd remove and check your thermostat it may not be opening properly. Probably the easiest would be to just change it.
Others have changed the thermostat, fan blade and even replaced the radiator with no change in temperatures on Scangauge II. I'm just wondering if it is the placement of the temperature sensors that causes this. It does only happen with high ambient temperatures. I will try the thermostat.
Old 08-02-2010, 09:57 AM   #4

Ford Super Duty Owner
My scangauge reads right around 195 to 208 I think the highest I have seen is 210. One of the sensors is actually considered a CHT sensor it is in the head under the intake manifold. I don't know which one the scangauge uses. I Do have the newer 3 valve motor as well so things may be a bit different. You could unplug the sensor near the thermostat(If you can get to it) and see if you lose the temp reading on the scangauge. Then you may have to clear a fault code.
Keith & Sharon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 01:08 PM   #5

I have a 2005 Georgie Boy with the 2 valve engine. After I bought it last year I decided to change out the antifreeze and put a new thermostat in it. I put a 195 never fail in and my temps went to 235 driving down the road. Before the new thermostat my temps were fine. I figured my new thernostat was bad so I replaced it with the same type. Drove it and it went back to 230. I put a 180 regular thermostat and drilled a 1/8 hole on the side. Now my temps stay at 180 to 182.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #6

John,

235 is extremely high, in fact on my 06 this temp puts the engine into limp mode. Yours is a 99, I would check the t-stat, and all the hoses. In extreme temps, you may have a coolant hose collapsing on you that restricts flow.
Another thing to check is the radiator, at 11 years, you may have buildup in the rad which also restricts and reduces flow, resulting in higher than normal coolant temps.

I am confident you will track it down.

Good Luck,
Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 01:37 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keith & Sharon View Post
Before spending money on sensors, I would change out the hoses. Most people do not pay too much attention to the hoses, but they are subject to wear over the years (temperature cycling will make the rubber brittle and weak). His is 11 years old, and I am willing to bet, they are the original hoses. Mine is 4 years old with the originals hoses.

Bill
Old 08-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #8

When pulling a hill the engine is running at high RPM and will raise the engine temp. The cooling system has to be operating properly to keep that temp low preventing damage. When the engine is at high RPM (4000- 5000) there is enough water pressure present to blow out a weak welch plug that is rusted. Additionally this water pressure running coolant through the system can suck a weak coolant hose into a collapsed position internally. (Lower Hose) You will never know it's happening because the hose can become separated from the cord internally and block the flow. (Happens in brake hoses that are old) Cheap insurance change the hoses, Coolant has sat in them for 11 years, makes sense.
370xl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2010, 01:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Hilley View Post
I have observed high temperatures on the Scangauge II on my 1999 Ford F53 with V10. In ambient 90 degree temps the average temperature is between 215 degrees and 220 degrees. on longer hills will run to 228 degrees and even peaked at 233 degrees and 235 degrees once. There was nothing other than the Scangauge II to indicate it was running hot. I wonder where the water temperature is actually picked up.
John,

haven't heard from you in a while. Just wondering if you ever tracked down your temperature issue?

Bill
Old 09-04-2010, 10:06 AM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Redapple View Post
John,

haven't heard from you in a while. Just wondering if you ever tracked down your temperature issue?

Bill
Haven't had time to do anything yet. Will be taking it out this coming weekend for about a 300 mile trip. Ambient temps should be in 60's.
Old 09-07-2010, 09:51 AM   #11

Damon Owners Club
John, your temps seem high. I've recently replaced the fan clutch, serpentine belt, thermostat, and cleaned and flushed the radiator and filled with a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and distilled water. My temps range from 205 to 223 on a 98 degree day. I can tell when the fan clutch engages by the increased noise level and the decreasing water temp. I programmed my Scangauge II to read cylinder head temp and compare that reading with the water temp. They are within a degree or two of each other.

I am experiencing extremely high transmission temps (posted earlier) which, I feel, due to the transmission cooler being located in front of the radiator, contributes to a higher water temp due to the increased air temp flowing through the radiator. So when I get the tranny temp problem fixed, I feel that my water temp will also decrease somewhat.

Have you considered replacing the fan clutch ? It may not be engaging, allowing the temp to rise. The hose replacement sounds like it would be a worthwhlie consideration.

Good luck.
howdja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:31 PM   #12

One thing to do is remove your radiator cap, put your switch to full hot. Start the engine and let it run at full temperature. Sometimes you will get air trapped and if you burp your system this might lower the temperature. After I flushed the system I didn't read the instructions and also had high temps. After reading the directions my temps stay at 180 which is the thermostat I have installed.
koda59 is offline   Reply With Quote