Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-07-2017, 02:47 PM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
I just got off the phone with 5-STAR. They often make programing changes that are improvements and they are good for all tunes based on the 5 or 6 speed transmission. It only makes perfect sense to have all the latest changes.

You need to understand that making program changes of this sort is a work in progress. My educated guess is that new changes are discovered, BETA tested, then added as improvements by folks a lot smarter than I am about this stuff.

In my book 5-STAR has done wonders for the V-10 and will continue to do so. It's in their and our best interest to continue with improvements.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-07-2017, 03:59 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I just got off the phone with 5-STAR. They often make programing changes that are improvements and they are good for all tunes based on the 5 or 6 speed transmission. It only makes perfect sense to have all the latest changes.

You need to understand that making program changes of this sort is a work in progress. My educated guess is that new changes are discovered, BETA tested, then added as improvements by folks a lot smarter than I am about this stuff.

In my book 5-STAR has done wonders for the V-10 and will continue to do so. It's in their and our best interest to continue with improvements.
I agree 100% but updates from 5Star and updates from SCT are not the same. 5Star has updated my tune twice to fix issues. Chuck
chuckbear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:33 PM   #17

I keep getting the run-around about this. I bought my custom RV tune from them in 2012. I am trying to figure out if they have improved that custom tune since then. I can't get 5star to tell me if they have or not or if my custom tune I received in 2012 is still the best tune to be running on my 06. Not the SCT device, the custom tune.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2017, 05:56 PM   #18

Ford Super Duty Owner
Pirate,

I can tell you for sure they have made some improvements since 2012. My TUNE is a 2014 and even since then they have made changes. I spoke with them today and got the updates but am having some issues getting it to load.
Old 09-15-2017, 07:29 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckbear View Post
I am not sure why I would want SCT to update the tune for my vehicle. The original tune is the correct original for my vehicle. My custom tune was provided by 5Star Tune for my specific needs. Why should that be changed and who makes the decision as to what changes need to be made to the tune of my vehicle. That is why I see no need to make these updates. As I noted, issues I had with the SCT device went unanswered as of this day. I sure don't want SCT messing with my tunes that I know work. If I have an issue with those, I will contact 5Star and not SCT. Chuck

I agree like updating my iPhone that always takes more storage and adds crap I don't need ....
mrsportys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:21 AM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just update my unit this week. There were 426 updated files, so something changed. This is in just 1 year. It did take a while to get the SCT program to work properly. One question, how to crank engine 2 seconds without starting. I'm thinking it's impossible!
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 09:31 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just update my unit this week. There were 426 updated files, so something changed. This is in just 1 year. It did take a while to get the SCT program to work properly. One question, how to crank engine 2 seconds without starting. I'm thinking it's impossible!
DennyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:41 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just updated mine. 42 new updates in the last two months. You do not need to crank engine for two seconds. Just turn the key on without starting it.
Charles L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 04:59 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate View Post
I keep getting the run-around about this. I bought my custom RV tune from them in 2012. I am trying to figure out if they have improved that custom tune since then. I can't get 5star to tell me if they have or not or if my custom tune I received in 2012 is still the best tune to be running on my 06. Not the SCT device, the custom tune.
All solved. 5star has been working with me to update my old tune just in case something has changed. Great support. Thanks.
Pirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:54 AM   #24

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
Where do you find the updates?
The OP didn't mention if the SCT tuner device was updated from SCT or 5 star. The tune update from 5 star should be their work in progress for improvements. If the update to the tuner device was done from the SCT web site why would the tune change, thats what 5star does. If the device was updated from 5 star that could have included tune improvements as well.

Had the 5 star tune in our last coach for 5 years and it worked fine so i never did anything to it. Then i got our new to us coach and purchased a tune for that but had problems loading it to the tuner device. A call to 5star and was told the device needed to be updated. 5 star took remote controll of my computer to update the tuner device then installed my new tune into the device. I've had that tune for a year now but am quirious how many updates to the device there are and if the tune has improved.

I will be following this thread.

I sometimes fall victum to the following quote:

"if it ain't broke don't fix it... then again if it ain't broke fix it till it is"
bruce91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 08:52 AM   #25

Since my tune was about 6 years old, I asked 5star if the could compare my first tune and the current tune and tell me what has changed. Was told that couldn't happen. Instead they sent me the newest tune.