Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-13-2015, 10:31 AM   #15

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
[QUOTE=

You'll need to measure the length of the studs on the rear hubs to make sure they're long enough to pass through 2 wheels plus the lug nut.[/QUOTE]

I pulled the "hub cap" and took a look. I would have 2 problems if I went to a dual aluminum situation. There is enough stud length to mount 2 aluminum wheels but problem 1, the outside wheel would not have any register on the hub it would be lugs only. Problem 2, the existing studs would not have enough thread beyond the nuts to mount the "hub cap". Going to longer lugs would solve problem 2, but not problem 1.

So it appears if I am to have a mounted spare I must have a 22.5 x 7.5 steel rim. I have spent hours looking at various sites for a rim or the Ford part number. The only part number I can arrive at on Ford sites is a Code 1007D, they don't cough up the real number until you order and pay.

Any advice is very welcome.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-03-2015, 01:18 PM   #16

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Project Update

Found a 2011 tire and rim at Visone Salvage in Kentucky. It is a steel Ford rim with the same Michelin tire on my coach. They stored it for me to pick-up on my way North to Indiana later this month. I have designed and fabricated a frame and lift mechanism which hangs the tire and rim just rear of the gas tank "snugged" up against the frame using a boat trailer winch. Once the tire is up the winch disconnects and stores in baggage. Pictures will follow soon. I just made a mount change on my design and I need to know the bolt circle of a 22.5 x 7.50 8 lug Ford wheel. Anyone who happens to know that please let me know. Pulling a trim ring and measuring next time I get to storage will solve it next time I can get there, storage is a real pain .
Old 08-05-2015, 10:54 PM   #17

Wow guys, i am super surprised by this thread! My MH has a spare mounted underneath the rear. We had a blow out in Texas driving it back immediately after purchase. I could see the tire under there, but for the life of me could not figure out how to get it down. Moreover, the "tire shop" in middle of nowhere texas could not get it out either without some help from a small forklift. I will snap a few pictures when I get a chance, but would be very curious if the spare is a factory feature or something aftermarket? I am also curious how on earth I would have the strength myself do get it out if the tire shop guys needed a forklift. So, tire/wheel is around 100 pounds, right? Thanks for a good thread.
Old 08-06-2015, 04:17 AM   #18

I guess it depends on where you travel for the need of a spare. Out west there is a lot of territory distant from well traveled highways. This includes many areas without cell phone service. Tire problems are not always sudden and disastrous. Not long ago I faced a flat upon awakening in the morning. We were 14 miles down a dead end gravel road in the bottom of a canyon with no cell service and no one else in sight. I would have had to walk out of the canyon for help in 90 degree heat if I did not have the means to take care of it.
This flat happened with my Bounder with steel wheels and 8R-19.5 tires which are 34 plus inches in diameter. No leveling jacks so I had to use a bottle jack and an old steel railroad tie plate that I use as a base for the jack. Jack stands also are a must have to be safe. The tire though heavy is not that difficult to mount.
Now that I have a new rv with 22.5 tires, the acquisition of tools to do a tire change are a top priority. I would much rather take on the chore of a tire change, than set out on a long walk in search of help. We will not be pulling a toad so there is no other option, except for maybe a bicycle.
It is not my intent to chastise anyone that does not carry a spare, you may not put yourselves in situations where help is unavailable and the odds are greatly in your favor if you keep good rubber on your vehicle.
I am planning to design an under chassis mount of the tire with a small winch. I have a lot of bed frame iron.

Would really appreciate to see the design Brockx has engineered for his tire storage.

Kevin
Steady_Rest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 04:59 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I just made a mount change on my design and I need to know the bolt circle of a 22.5 x 7.50 8 lug Ford wheel. Anyone who happens to know that please let me know.
Brockx, the link below to a .pdf file from Ford shows the the dimensions for your wheel on page 6, which is the last page at the bottom.
22.5 x 7.5 eight lug wheel is shown as having a 275mm (10.83 inch) bolt circle.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...essd_08mhc.pdf

Kevin
Old 08-06-2015, 05:37 AM   #20

Had a blow out on the inner rear. Called coach-net and told them I had a spare. Tire shop came and changed tire and I was back on the road in a little over 1 hour. Tire man told me if I didn't have a spare it would have been closer to 6 hours. They also followed me for about 5 miles to make sure everything was OK.
Old 08-06-2015, 05:44 AM   #21

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Wow guys,....... So, tire/wheel is around 100 pounds, right? Thanks for a good thread.
What size is tire? Based on info collected my 255/80/22.5 with a steel wheel will be right at 200 pounds. A short flat bar with a fulcrum under it will lift it to slide it in place. Please do send pics.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
I guess it depends on where you travel for the need of a spare. .....................I am planning to design an under chassis mount of the tire with a small winch. I have a lot of bed frame iron.

Would really appreciate to see the design Brockx has engineered for his tire storage.

Kevin
Will post pictures, be leery of bed frame material it is tempered and prone to fail if drilled or welded. I'm using "SuperStrut" beams and hardware, overkill but trying to play it safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steady_Rest View Post
Brockx, the link below to a .pdf file from Ford shows the the dimensions for your wheel on page 6, which is the last page at the bottom.
22.5 x 7.5 eight lug wheel is shown as having a 275mm (10.83 inch) bolt circle.

https://www.fleet.ford.com/truckbbas...essd_08mhc.pdf

Kevin
Thanks that confirms a measurement I made yesterday
Old 08-06-2015, 07:08 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doc Vegas View Post
Wow guys, i am super surprised by this thread! My MH has a spare mounted underneath the rear. We had a blow out in Texas driving it back immediately after purchase. I could see the tire under there, but for the life of me could not figure out how to get it down. Moreover, the "tire shop" in middle of nowhere texas could not get it out either without some help from a small forklift. I will snap a few pictures when I get a chance, but would be very curious if the spare is a factory feature or something aftermarket? I am also curious how on earth I would have the strength myself do get it out if the tire shop guys needed a forklift. So, tire/wheel is around 100 pounds, right? Thanks for a good thread.
The spare tire carrier on our 2001 Winnebago Adventurer was a factory installation by the body builder. It is not part of the chassis as it comes from Ford. The one Winnebago installed was hinged at the front and held to the frame in the rear with 2 bolts. Once the bolts were removed the frame could be lowered with the tire still attached. There was a plate in the center of the rim with a bolt going through it to hold it to the frame.

The first time we had to use the tire it was a pain to get it out. Several years of use and exposure to the elements allowed the bolts to get rusted into place. It took a fair amount of rust penetrant and some elbow grease to get them out. Even then the tire was a bear to slide on and off the framework.

Before reattaching the old tire to the frame I cleaned the mounting bolt and applied some anti seize. I did the same with the 2 bolts that secure the framework to the chassis. The second time we had to use it the removal and replacement went along quite easily.
Old 08-06-2015, 08:32 AM   #23

I found my spare tire fit neatly under the sofa easy to get to should I ever need it
Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:01 AM   #24

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Pictures of Spare Tire Hanger

The first picture is oriented to vehicle rear nearest to camera. Normal position down, the blue tape simulates the top of the motorhome frame.

The second picture would be the view looking up from the ground, from vehicle rear.

The third picture is simply a close-up of the lift area. The length difference of the upper support arms is to take advantage of existing frame brackets to control any fore /aft / side movement.

The tire will be winched up against the bottom of the frame and secured with the 2 long carriage bolts and a 2000# rachet strap for addition "warm and fuzzy" feeling. The winch will be a single pin connect to the trailer hitch and stowed when not in use.

Click pictures and click again for close up views.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	002.jpg
Views:	105
Size:	377.7 KB
ID:	102275   Click image for larger version

Name:	004.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	436.3 KB
ID:	102276  

Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	262.6 KB
ID:	102277  
Old 08-06-2015, 10:47 PM   #25

Thanks guys, definitely I will get some pictures. It looks like a professional install for our spare tire holder, I was just going from the shop guys in "middle of freakin nowhere texas". It tooks about 12 hours to get back on the road after that one. Sucked. I should have had him install the spare, but he said the other tires were dry rotted and probably would not make the 1500+ mile trip that laid ahead. Who knows.
Old 08-06-2015, 11:33 PM   #26

Very professional looking in design and material choice. Definetly stout enough, no need to calculate the safety factor. Please post more photos as work progresses or installed. Thank you Brockx for posting these photos.
I have used bed rail in bolted assemblies, only welded it once for a battery hold down bracket, to replace the one for my coach batteries. I agree it is a pain to weld with a lot of preheating and attempting to slow the cooling after welding. For a small piece it is manageable. It was just easier to make the bracket with what I had and avoid a trip to the steel yard, for that application.
Mail thieves were sawing off the wooden posts of mail boxes around my neighborhood, so I bolted bed frames to my post. Miscreants would be there all night trying to saw through those. For the previous mail box post I imbedded only two pieces of bed iron in concrete. These only showed above ground about 16". One night a 20 year old guy decided to push it over with his car. He was successful in breaking the post and bending the frames over 45 degrees, but since he could not go forward to escape he had to back up and his real troubles began. When backing the bed frames caught on his under carriage and he was caught in the web. All the racket awakened the neighbor, then myself and all was worked out after the police arrived. Pretty good testament to the malleability of bed frames, they twisted and bent but did not crack, which surprised me. They were not welded however.

Kevin
Old 08-07-2015, 06:13 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here are pix of my spare tire carrier. The worm drive winch allows the winch handle to be released at any time without the wheel dropping. Works very well.Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438949505.377361.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	286.3 KB
ID:	102371Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438949533.899235.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	284.4 KB
ID:	102372Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438949557.554939.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	268.6 KB
ID:	102373Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438949576.247436.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	177.7 KB
ID:	102374Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByiRV2 - RV Forum1438949596.122954.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	283.0 KB
ID:	102375

Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T
Peter27C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 10:10 AM   #28

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter27C View Post
Here are pix of my spare tire carrier. The worm drive winch allows the winch handle to be released at any time without the wheel dropping. Works very well.
Sent from my iPad using iRV2 - RV Forum
2014 Vista 30T

That's a nice clean job . I toyed with the worm drive and decided to go with a "quick remove system" that pins to an open hole on my drop hitch. Goes in the basement unless I'm moving the spare. I pretty well had to design an adjustable system since I don't have my spare tire and wheel yet. Will pick it up in Kentucky end of the month. Might still have some surprises coming .