Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-05-2015, 12:14 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Spare Tire and Rim

I am considering buying a spare tire or spare tire and rim. I have driven well over 2 million miles and have never needed to use the spare so I'm overdue .

Actually, my big concern is for a proper tire to be readily available if I did need to replace one in a relatively remote place or time, my size is Michelin XRV 255/80R22.5 .

My reason for asking this on the Chassis Forum is my need to understand the aluminum versus steel wheel situation on the rears. My assumption has been that Ford uses steel on the inners because of the extra cost for a couple of aluminums that nobody will see. However; I do wonder if there might also be a hidden reason like heat, strength, or length of the lug studs with 2 aluminums.

Hanging the tire on the rear frame will be no big trick, wheel or no wheel, but I would prefer a mounted tire on aluminum, on steel, or just a wrapped tire, in that order.

Thoughts?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-05-2015, 12:51 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
That is a lot of extra weight. If you plan to do the tire change yourself I can understand the desire for a rim. If ERS is going to do the work, they can mount the tire on the old rim. If you have ERS, they could pick up and carry a new tire out to you. Replacing a bad tire with a used or aged tire is only a temporary fix which will require you to remedy later. JMO. Never had a flat myself.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:01 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brockx View Post
I am considering buying a spare tire or spare tire and rim. I have driven well over 2 million miles and have never needed to use the spare so I'm overdue .
Actually, my big concern is for a proper tire to be readily available if I did need to replace one in a relatively remote place or time,
Brockx
That is the reason carry an unmounted spare tire and my CoachNet membership card.
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2015, 01:10 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Doggy Daddy....Thanks for the reply;

I have ERS, my main concern is availability of a proper tire in a timely fashion. Tire would most likely be new.

Mel..........exactly right, don't want to spend 4 days waiting in Bend Over, Idaho.
Old 05-05-2015, 01:55 PM   #5

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
It's always 5 o'clock somewhere.
Doggy Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 09:07 AM   #6

The weight of an 8.25 x 22.5" aluminum rim is about 45 lbs. A steel rim of the same size weighs about 70 lbs.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/eur...ds_spec_en.pdf

The thickness at the mounting disk of the same size aluminum wheel is 22mm (.870"). The thickness of a steel wheel is .425". As you can see the aluminum wheel is more than twice the thickness of the steel wheel.

You'll need to measure the length of the studs on the rear hubs to make sure they're long enough to pass through 2 wheels plus the lug nut.
Old 05-06-2015, 09:42 AM   #7

Our MH, bought used, had a spare wheel and tire. The assembly was mounted underneath the propane tank with a steel chain and hook. The rig had 12,000 miles on the clock when we bought it and 18,000 when we sold it and the spare had never been used.
Old 05-06-2015, 03:09 PM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikerdogs View Post
The weight of an 8.25 x 22.5" aluminum rim is about 45 lbs. A steel rim of the same size weighs about 70 lbs.

http://www.alcoa.com/alcoawheels/eur...ds_spec_en.pdf

The thickness at the mounting disk of the same size aluminum wheel is 22mm (.870"). The thickness of a steel wheel is .425". As you can see the aluminum wheel is more than twice the thickness of the steel wheel.

You'll need to measure the length of the studs on the rear hubs to make sure they're long enough to pass through 2 wheels plus the lug nut.

That is some great information. I was afraid there was going to be a significant difference in the mount surface thickness. That will also move the outside rear dual outboard the same distance. The tires really fill up the wheel wells now so it is another consideration for me to check. Thanks again great info!!!
Old 05-06-2015, 04:50 PM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
I have had blowouts on five motorhomes and one popup. I started camping in 1968. 6 into 48 is one blowout every 8 years. I have always carried a spare. I would not leave home without one. The old saying of "I will just make a phone call" sounds good, but I have been places out west where there was no service for miles and miles. For those who say, You can't get the lugs nut loose, I always take my 39 chevy drive shaft put it over the handle of my 24 inch breaker bar and loosen the lug nuts as soon as I get home from the tire shop. I then torque the lug nuts to the proper torque. I can change a tire on the road in under 40 minutes. The last flat tire I changed I was in my sixties. The last time I changed the rear four tires was in Feb. 8, 2009. I was 69 years old. I am not superman. I just take it easy and lift carefully. If you do not want to carry a spare, Fine but I will always carry one.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:07 AM   #10

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
I have had blowouts on five motorhomes and one popup. I started camping in 1968. 6 into 48 is one blowout every 8 years. I have always carried a spare. I would not leave home without one. The old saying of "I will just make a phone call" sounds good, but I have been places out west where there was no service for miles and miles. For those who say, You can't get the lugs nut loose, I always take my 39 chevy drive shaft put it over the handle of my 24 inch breaker bar and loosen the lug nuts as soon as I get home from the tire shop. I then torque the lug nuts to the proper torque. I can change a tire on the road in under 40 minutes. The last flat tire I changed I was in my sixties. The last time I changed the rear four tires was in Feb. 8, 2009. I was 69 years old. I am not superman. I just take it easy and lift carefully. If you do not want to carry a spare, Fine but I will always carry one.
My KIA came w/o a spare, I put one in, and I have a spare for the ACME dolly. My tires on the MH are 7 years old but only have 5300 miles and no signs of cracks or checkering. This week end will be our first trip of any length, 700 miles round trip. I will likely replace them this fall and keep one for the spare, I think I will start looking for a steel rim. Don't know if I will ever set up to change a road flat, the tires are bruisers 255/80R/22.5. I can do it, I'm 72 but in good shape, changed and repaired a lot of them when I was a skinny teenager.

Thanks for sharing your thoughts, we think alike.
Old 05-07-2015, 05:34 AM   #11

try this rim on ebay--- I got one in March $200.00 free shipping and its a ford import rim. It will fit my 2003 workhorse w22 and i will need to change rear wheel studs!
426smartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 09:29 AM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by 426smartin View Post
try this rim on ebay--- I got one in March $200.00 free shipping and its a ford import rim. It will fit my 2003 workhorse w22 and i will need to change rear wheel studs!
Thanks for the info, I brought up a picture and can see I have 8 lugs also. The chart above shows 10 so your source looks like a pretty good possibility. My wheels are Alcoa, going to see if I can find a part number on them for more finite info of what I have. The above chart shows only 10 lugs for the 22.5 wheels?? I have to store offsite so it will take a fact finder visit. I really want to avoid a lug/stud change so a Ford steel may end up being my best bet.
Old 05-08-2015, 09:43 PM   #13

Just call road side assistance and wait and wait, then wait some more when they finally arrive with the wrong tire and have to go back and get another. Then wait some more when they finally arrive with the right size tire in the wrong brand, then wait some more for them to mount the wrong brand tire you are buying because you are tired of waiting, or just simply carry your own spare with wheel and be back on the road in the shortest time. Maybe some of you don't mind hanging out on the side of the road for most of a day but I would rather be back on the road heading for my destination in the shortest time possible.
89sandman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:58 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I've been on the road with 3 tire failures on a MH and 1 on a 5th wheel over the past 30 years. All four times it happened in the middle of nowhere. I long ago decided I will never travel without a spare even though I have ERS.

Our most recent rig (2014 Itasca Sunstar) came without a spare, but I decided that I had to have one. So I bought a used steel wheel and acquired a new tire for the rig (not as expensive but same size rating etc) for the rim. It fits well in the rear compartment.

I also carry a donut for the Toad and a spare for the dolly. Don't want to get caught somewhere that it may be difficult to get a new tire or get back underway soon. Otr get in a situation where i have limited options on price and desirability of a tire offered by ERS?
Americanrascal is offline   Reply With Quote