RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-23-2014, 09:53 PM   #1

Spark plugs?

1998 460 engine, what are the preferred/best spark plugs to go with when doing a tune up? I know on my 1985 Yamaha Virago, when I switched from the Yamaha recommended NKG spark plugs to Autolite AP 63 plugs I got quicker starts and better mileage (47 mpg). So, in getting ready to tune up this rolling brick, I was wondering if there was a spark plug thar would make any noticeable improvements.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum

Virago-Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2014, 11:07 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virago-Rider View Post
1998 460 engine, what are the preferred/best spark plugs to go with when doing a tune up? I know on my 1985 Yamaha Virago, when I switched from the Yamaha recommended NKG spark plugs to Autolite AP 63 plugs I got quicker starts and better mileage (47 mpg). So, in getting ready to tune up this rolling brick, I was wondering if there was a spark plug thar would make any noticeable improvements.

Sent from my iPad2 using iRV2 - RV Forum
Our old carbed 460, I just used the Autolite plugs like most have used for years. Them Autolites, years ago if you got a skip, you run the tar out of the car on a long road & they would clean them self & start working again.

I never had a plug problem on our class A with the 460, but then again the heads never stayed on long enough to mess a spark plug up.

That Yamaha must have had counterfit plugs, because the name of them suppose the be NGK, not NKG.

On a more real world type of thinking, if Champion, Autolite, any of the plug MFGs made a good spark plug, would they still be in business ?, because you would only need one set in a life time if they were good.

Remember, we have schools that teach engineering & they must be teaching them how to make a product fail instead of last a long time.
Neil

Old 06-24-2014, 01:53 PM   #3

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Hi Rider,

If the existing plugs are rather old and worn, then any set of new plugs would be better. Would they make a "noticeable improvement"? Probably not unless some of the old ones were misfiring or dead.

So if the old plugs are just old but still firing off OK . . .
Will your gas mileage improve? No.
Will fancy multi-electrode with rare earth metals work better? No.
Will the opposite sex be more attracted to you? No.

Bottom line, do the tune up and be satisfied with 7 MPG.
Nick-B is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014, 07:18 AM   #4

Now Nick, be honest, you got no idea about the opposite sex part, cause you dont know what he looks like.
I know this from my years of living, seems like the ugliest guys always get the best looking women, but the best looking women seam to be the highest upkeep, so if it was me I would pick out the women didnt look that good.
Neil