Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2011, 03:31 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Spark Plugs - Opinions Please

Hello All,

Wife and I recently purchased our 2nd Winnebago. It's a 2007 Sightseer 35J on the F53 chassis. Has approximately 50,000 miles on it. I've taken it in to a Ford dealer to have some service done (trans fluid change / flush and power steering fluid). My question is should I do anything with the plugs. Ford recommends changing at 100,000 miles. The dealer says at 60-65,000 miles. I'd do it myself but have read up on this and am concerned about breaking one of the plugs off. The wacked out thing is the dealer is telling me it's $540 to change the plugs (yes, just the plugs, nothing else).

I would wait on it but have detected the slightest hesitation at low rpm when first getting on the gas and am concerned this could be a plug related issue. It's not bad and as soon as the rpms increase it goes away (returns periodically at lower rpm) The dealer also told me a plug going bad will end up trashing a coil. I have no engine lights going on. I changed the fuel filter ~1,000 miles ago.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Bill G.
ebg338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2011, 04:39 PM   #2

Ford Super Duty Owner
I changed mine at about 50,000 followed instructions I read here a while back. Make sure you use air and blow out the plug hole a few times as you take the plug out to keep the dirt out. Use anti-sieze when you put new plug in and use correct INCH pound torque. Use care with the small COP connectors. I did mine to insure I could get them out before waiting for 100,000 miles. That said have a friend with a V-10 in his van and it's going on 212,000 and still on the original plugs go figure.
John Wayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:43 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
X2/\ /\ /\ on that and a day or week before
I'd do it i'd spray some wd-40,PB blaster or the like down the side of the plugs so that itcan sink in if possible once broke loose.
(RVM#26) THE U-RV 94 F-700/24 foot U-haul box home built RV
Mekanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 04:59 PM   #4

The 3 valve has completely different spark plugs than the two valve. They are expensive plugs, but relatively easy to change. If I did it for half what the dealer wants I'd feel like I was ripping you off....

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:17 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
A good insulated socket should protect the plugs but breaking them usually just means the porcelain..... and you were going to replace the plug anyway. Lubricated threads on new plugs is a good idea. As for blowing out the hole I don't think you want to risk blowing any dirt into the cylinder. The hesitation sounds more like fuel delivery then ignition.
bigskymt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 05:59 PM   #6

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
At 50,000 miles,,, If you are ALREADY AT THE DEALER,, (Or othe rmechanic) it would be worth thinking about, I agree. I mean if you wait till the dealer recommended 60-65K or even the Ford suggested 100K (Which is the number I hear for modern P-Tip Plugs from many sources) you may well have to make a special trip. And frankly, just now Gas costs more than spark plugs.
Old 04-29-2011, 06:16 PM   #7
IC2

The later 3 valve V10's have special precautions that need to be adhered to for plug changes. First of all, with 50K miles on them, little chance that they really need to be done, but if it makes you feel better, by all means do them. Next, be prepared for sticker shock as they are 12-15 dollars EACH but can be found occasionally on Ebay for less, i.e. 8-9 dollars each. Next, you should change the coil to plug boots, and they are 3-5 dollars each. You'll need at least one tube of dielectric grease and some anti-seize. Tools - a good selection of extensions - and a good 9/16", 6 point socket (yes, it is a 9/16 plug, not a 5/8, 3/4 or 13/16). Plugs - only Ford Motorcraft. Others - most cause a trouble code or poor operation tho I have heard that NGK's work fine too - I just wont go through that pain and cost to prove it to myself:

Google TSB 08-7-6 which are the detailed instructions on how to remove plugs. There's another instructions if do you break a plug, but you should have no problem if you follow the TSB (Technical Service Bulletin)
IC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 06:19 PM   #8
TW

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Plugs

My "shop" (not FORD) tells me, that the plugs should be 'cracked' (loosen)out and in, so - that they do not seize.
Since I have only 15,600 miles on the meter, I have a bit more time.

TW
TW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2011, 09:23 PM   #9

With 72,000 miles on our 2000 v10 as long as it's running OK I don't mess with it.

2000 Residency 3790 v10 w/tags 5 Star tune & Banks system Suzuki XL7 toad
LVJ58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2011, 05:23 PM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Thanks to all who responded (gotta love this forum). Decided to hold off for now on the plugs and just have them service the tranny and power steering. Figure when I'm ready I'll do it myself. Reviewed the TSB (thanks Dave W) and it looks like you just have to be patient.

Thanks again,

Bill G
ebg338 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2011, 04:50 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
I know that Fords and Chevies are totally different animals, but, All the Chevies I have ever owned since the nineties that have plugs with platinum tips easily go over 100 thousand miles before the plugs need replacing. I had an 1986 GMC Safari that went over 106,000 and when I had them changed the mechanic was more surprised and excited than I was to learn that they were original to the day the engine was made.
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote