Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-03-2010, 03:21 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
speed limiter

my '08 F-53 shuts the fuel down at 75 mph. i hate it while trying to run down a grade. help anyone. it doesn't hit 3000 rpm at this speed.
mjoemort is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-03-2010, 04:43 AM   #2

Official iRV2 Sponsor

We can help you change / increase the limiter in your RV to a safe level.
Most customers have the same issue as you while running down the grade to get a run up the next grade the limiter just kills momentum.

Give us a call any time to go over more details.

Mike
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 06:06 AM   #3

Workhorse Chassis Owner
Your tires are only rated for 75MPH So be carful what you do.
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 07:10 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Ford Super Duty Owner
My opinion....75 mph is plenty (actually too) fast in an RV.

Ken
Amateur Radio Operator (KE5DFR)|No Longer Full-Time! - 2023 Cougar 22MLS toted by 2022 F150, 3.5L EcoBoost Tow Max FX4 Lariat Travel with one Standard Schnauzer and one small Timneh African Gray Parrot, retired mechanical engineer
TXiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 12:22 PM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
I kind of have the opposite problem. On all my previous MHs they were 454 Chevies. When I am going through these towns on the way to horse shows I always used to set cruise at 25 to help me avoid a ticket. The Ford won't set that low.
Any Ideas?
KC1BUD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2010, 03:42 PM   #6

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by KC1BUD View Post
I kind of have the opposite problem. On all my previous MHs they were 454 Chevies. When I am going through these towns on the way to horse shows I always used to set cruise at 25 to help me avoid a ticket. The Ford won't set that low.
Any Ideas?

Yes sir thats another one we can change. We have had Super Duty customers that want to plow snow with the cruise on factory is around 27 mph, we can set to 0 mph as a minimum.

Mike
Old 07-03-2010, 03:53 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
opposing viewpoint

this will probably cause some feathers to ruffle. oh, well....some of us rv'ers choose to drive swiftly.....we have places to be and and things to do....a lot of non-rver's folks have a down opinion of those who slow traffic and putter along.....some of us have massaged our motorhomes to roll along safely at normal or slightly above the speed limit....if you travel in mountain areas you may understand why i choose to roll down the hill so i don't drop a gear going up the other side....ever have a kenworth up your butt with nowhere to go... that's real safe, is'nt it? my '99 GM motorhome runs more efficiently if i am able to not drop a gear....ie...better fuel mileage....less engine rpm...less wear and tear.....but you better have it properly equipped so as not to have an incident...i am now working on bringing my new to me '08 ford up to those same standards...some of us are a young 58, not old guys
Old 07-03-2010, 05:14 PM   #8

Official iRV2 Sponsor

No worries. Sometime just raising the limiter by 10-15 mph helps...
Old 07-04-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoemort View Post
.....i am now working on bringing my new to me '08 ford up to those same standards...some of us are a young 58, not old guys
mjoemort, If you want to make it past 59, you will need to observe that RV tires are only rated for 75 MPH although your F Series Super Duty is limited to 80 MPH fuel wise. I would not recommend that you bump up the speed limiter any more that what it was preset to by Ford as the OE spec.

Respectfully this should not be a choice that needs to be considered because if your RV tire blows at speeds over 80 MPH you might just take someone else out and they will have never have seen it coming.

Please choose wisely and ignore the K-Whopper, he'll go around and that's one race you'll never win. Most of those rigs don't have limiters.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2010, 06:02 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
dear driver...i do appreciate you concern....i'll try to ease your concerns a little....i tend to go that fast near the bottom of steep grades....under control... so as to get up the other side in a reasonable manner....the speed is limited at 75 not 80...as the suspension and powertrain mods progress... the junk goodyear rv tires will also go by the wayside....their are some excellent hd truck tires out there....i am more nervous with texting,shaving, no turn signals,ect. in the four wheelers....rv and truck tires are not labled with a speed rating... but that info can be found... be safe ..i will...to be sure...PS some years back i ran 18 wheerers coast to coast...mine were speed limited....some others were not
Old 07-04-2010, 06:21 PM   #11

I'm with you DriVer. Go at a safe steady pace. Get there in a RV, not in a EV!!
Old 07-05-2010, 05:57 AM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Why impose your own opinions on the OP?

Joe, chip upgrades are available for the V10 from several vendors including site sponsor 5star.
I have chipped my 99 V10 with ultrapower from BrazelsRV, and while a higher top speed wasn't a concern, overall, response and performance are much improved and the rig is much much more pleasant to drive.
JimM68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 06:36 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
thanks for the info jim...i am about ready to order the banks power pack.... will speak with 5 star and others about chipping...still researching....considering larger sway bars and koni fsd shocks..too busy right now to work on it, but will be stockpiling parts...i never intended to stir the hornets nest..oh well..thanks again
Old 07-05-2010, 07:48 AM   #14
Moderator Emeritus

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Coastal Campers
Carolina Campers
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjoemort View Post
thanks for the info jim...i am about ready to order the banks power pack.... will speak with 5 star and others about chipping...still researching....considering larger sway bars and koni fsd shocks..too busy right now to work on it, but will be stockpiling parts...i never intended to stir the hornets nest..oh well..thanks again
Tuning your engine is like removing those 10" high Timberline boots off your motorhome and running away with a lightweight running shoe!

The benefits are remarkable and one of the first things that you experience is how well the engine breathes and makes power. With the ability to go from 40 to 60 or 60 to 70 quickly one can see that a need to make more speed might not be the ultimate solution that one might want.

Running down a hill and making speed is an excellent practice because energy is quickly scrubbed going up the opposite grade and one would rather have the energy to carry the vehicle up a grade at a reasonable speed.

I don't believe that this conversation was ever about speeding or going very fast straight and level.
RV/MH Hall of Fame - Lifetime Member
DriVer is offline   Reply With Quote