RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-13-2019, 11:45 PM   #1

Stationary Usage

I have a motorhome on a 2019 Ford F53 chassis. We are currently at an RV park in the south for the next 4 months.

I am wondering if I should run the engine once a month or so? I can’t drive it, as we are fully hooked up, and it would be a hassle, so is it ok or even required for me to run the engine every now and then?

I do exercise my generator monthly.

Okanagan Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-13-2019, 11:49 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I know I would.

Don't know where I'm going, spose I'll get there anyway.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:56 AM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I would add Stabile® to the fuel if anything. I have a 75 gallon tank and add a 32 oz bottle every fall for winter storage.
Old 12-14-2019, 08:36 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
This is directly from the f53 ford manual. Others will say not to do this as this procedure causes condensation in the motor and exhaust system. However, 15 minutes of run time at fast idle will prevent condensation.

Engine
• Change the engine oil and filter prior to
storage because used engine oil
contains contaminates which may
cause engine damage.
• Start the engine every 15 days for a
minimum of 15 minutes. Run at fast idle
with the climate controls set to defrost
until the engine reaches normal
operating temperature.
• With your foot on the brake, shift
through all the gears while the engine
is running.
• We recommend that you change the
engine oil before you use your vehicle
again.
Park Super is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 10:37 AM   #5

The Stabil is a great suggestion. Only thing I would do different is, buy the bottle of Stabil before you leave home and have it in the RV. Stop someplace a few miles (I would say with in 10 or 20 miles) of your final destination, and add the Stabil and fill up with gas. This will mix the Stabil thoroughly and the final drive time will pull it up and through the whole fuel system. I would also start and run your generator and run it under a load for at least 15 to 30 mins also. This is good for the windings in the generator and puts Stabil in the fuel system and will help prevent trouble in the future.

Having the Fuel tank as full as possible also helps prevent condensation in the tank itself while sitting.

I personally am not a big fan of starting one up and letting it run for 15 mins in one place. I would install a battery tender on the chassis battery to keep it hot for when I was ready to come home and if I thought it needed to run I would just take it out for a drive every couple of months. It's a hassle, but I think it is better for the RV than just sitting in one place running. Just my thoughts.
dfuelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2019, 06:52 PM   #6

I don’t and won’t this year either.
vettenuts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 07:28 PM   #7

Newmar Owners Club
Mid Atlantic Campers
Ford Super Duty Owner
When I store mine; I start the engine every 10-12 days, and let it run until it is at normal operating temperature. I also turn on the heater/ defroster and let it circulate coolant through the system. Usually about 10-15 minutes. Also, with your foot on the brake, shift the transmission and let it run a minute or two in drive & reverse. This keeps the pumps pumping and forces fluid through the transmission.
I always use SEA FOAM, others use Sta-Bil, but I keep it in my fuel system year round. Even when traveling. Eliminates moisture/condensation.
Keep check on your batteries as well, to insure proper water levels.
And I run the generator at least 30 minutes. About 5 minutes to warm it up, about 20 minutes under load, & about 5 minutes for it to "cool down" so to speak, with no load.
Many folks have a system that works for them, and are different in what & how they do it.
This is just a suggestion, and what works for me. Good Luck!
Jabber Jaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2019, 08:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
I run chassis engine and AC generator together for 20 minutes every 30 days and I think that is sufficient. I always go into winter storage with a nearly full 80 gallon gasoline tank and have never seen the need to add fuel stabilizer. Have been taking out of storage this way for 4 seasons with no issues.

The main thing IMHO is to run the chassis engine long enough to bring the engine to temperature so the coolant thermostat opens and the exhaust system gets warmed up.

I start the generator then let it run a couple minutes without load, then put the generator under load with a 1,200 watt electric space heater when really cold or the roof top heat pump if outdoor temp is above 40 degrees for at least 10 minutes than let it run 5 minutes without load before shutting it down.

powercat_ras is offline   Reply With Quote