RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-23-2015, 01:46 PM   #1

iRV2 No Limits Club
Steering Stabilizer ??

For those that have added an aftermarket steering stabilizer to your coach. Does it make it harder or require more effort to make turns? I am disabled and drive with hand controls and reduce effort steering. I do not want to add if it makes it harder to steer, thus cancelling out modification. My reason for adding steering stabilizer is truck blow by, wind, rut drifting and big one safety on tire blowout. I drove a 400 mile trip Austin to Ft. Worth on I35. Scary in any vehicle, but experienced all symptoms, except thankfully blowout. I have Class A, F53,22K Chassis. thanks for thoughts..

quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-23-2015, 02:03 PM   #2

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by quad80 View Post
For those that have added an aftermarket steering stabilizer to your coach. Does it make it harder or require more effort to make turns? I am disabled and drive with hand controls and reduce effort steering. I do not want to add if it makes it harder to steer, thus cancelling out modification. My reason for adding steering stabilizer is truck blow by, wind, rut drifting and big one safety on tire blowout. I drove a 400 mile trip Austin to Ft. Worth on I35. Scary in any vehicle, but experienced all symptoms, except thankfully blowout. I have Class A, F53,22K Chassis. thanks for thoughts..
No difference I can tell. Actually there is a spring on it but the leverage is minimal to none on the steering wheel. The important this is the shock absorbition in a tire failure. Without it you could actually be injured if holding the wheel wrong.

Knightab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2015, 02:14 PM   #3

Even if it requires more effort to turn, the power streering pump will overcome the extra effort.

For instance, the F53 has 2 steering pump; one for the lighter chassis, probably associated with the 19.5 wheels, and one for the heavier (longer) ones that uses the 22.5 wheels.

Safe-T-Plus offers 2 different shocks accordingly.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:15 PM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter system. I have not found it more difficult. Like the other systems, it does offer stability in the event of a blow out. One of the advantages I have found is that it allows you to adjust "on the fly" against a constant sidewind or road crown. It does require that you be able to push a button and release, however.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:00 AM   #5

National RV Owners Club
I have the Safe-T-Plus system on a 2007 Ford F53 Chassis. I had the same problems, and symptoms that you described. Had it installed in April of 2013. I figure it helped about '60%', for me, well worth the expense.
Jim1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015, 09:08 AM   #6

I've had 2 MH's with steer safe and feel no difference in the steering wheel, but big improvement in handling.
John H... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 05:56 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Installed Safe T Plus

I just had the front end aligned and Safe T Plus installed, it seems to be handling better, less side movement when being passed by semi, BUT I am experiencing a pulling to the left that I did not have before the work was done. I have to constantly have pressure on the wheel to the right or I wander over to the left lane. It is not right. Now, is it caused by the alignment or the install of the Safe T Plus?? They were done by different shops.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:43 AM   #8

Thor Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilNDenise View Post
I just had the front end aligned and Safe T Plus installed, it seems to be handling better, less side movement when being passed by semi, BUT I am experiencing a pulling to the left that I did not have before the work was done. I have to constantly have pressure on the wheel to the right or I wander over to the left lane. It is not right. Now, is it caused by the alignment or the install of the Safe T Plus?? They were done by different shops.
I am not sure which one it is but there is a procedure to get it to go straight. Wherever it applies to you I am not sure but basically what they did was move the one end a little to compensate for the pull. There is a video on it and if I can find it I will post it.
Old 04-25-2015, 07:50 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Here is the link for adjustment
Old 04-25-2015, 10:50 AM   #10

iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimGeorgia View Post
I have the Blue Ox TruCenter system. I have not found it more difficult. Like the other systems, it does offer stability in the event of a blow out. One of the advantages I have found is that it allows you to adjust "on the fly" against a constant sidewind or road crown. It does require that you be able to push a button and release, however.
Adjust on the fly would be nice. I guess you can come across a variety of road conditions. I dont think pushing a button would be a problem if it is mounted within reach. it sounds like from posts that these devices does not effect effort to turn coach, which is good for me.
quad80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 02:40 PM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Mine is easily reached.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/735629463187747/
JimGeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2015, 08:14 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
The first thing I'd do for the slight pull (lead) is to swap the front tires and see what happens.

As far as the safety steer causing it I doubt. I had my wheels up in the air with the tires off and I tried to turn the wheel left and right so I could get to the grease fittings and the darn thing kept coming back into the center every time.

TeJay

Tags
steering