Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-31-2013, 07:03 AM   #1

Thor Owners Club
Steering wheel problem

Have a 1998 ford with 450 chassis, v-10 class c, the steering wheel turns 3-4 inches before wheels start turning. The steering gear box has been replace, upper/ lower ball joints new shocks and new shock stabilizer, new tires and alignment done. but the problem still there. any suggestions? also taking it back to the guy that done all this work. The work was done this month. Would like someones opinion on this. thanks
tom41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-31-2013, 07:58 AM   #2

Tom, I have both a 1990 28 ft Rockwood class C built on a E350 Ford chassis and a 1997 31 ft Four winds class C built on a Super Duty (E450) chassis.

Both of them have probably three inches of play in the steering before the wheels themselves start to turn. It has never been a problem for me, I can take my hands off the wheel on a straight and level road (no wind) and it will remain straight in the lane.

The purpose of the steering wheel is to direct the wheels in the direction you want to go, now if you are constantly correcting the direction of the wheels then you have a problem with an alignment issue, loose part, weight issue, or tire inflation issue.

Reducing the steering wheel play will give you a quicker response to change the vehicle direction but why does the RV need to be corrected.

What are you trying to achieve by reducing the steering wheel play?

Thinking about it there could be a lost sense of control over the RV and I can understand that.

This is just my experience and three inches of steering play on my RV's would not be a problem for me unless the RV was doing some of the steering on its own?
ReelTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 01:19 PM   #3

Thor Owners Club
thanks for the reply Ron. I just got back with RV from the people that had done all the front end work. The problem has been solved! they adjusted the new steering gear box and deflated the front tires from 80 lbs to 65 lbs (kept 80 lbs in the duals. I took it out on the interstate and it now drives like an SUV!! I usually drive around 55-60 on interstates with an rv but I tried at 70 and it was like a different motorhome. there is just barely play in the steering now and that's how it should be. Now I feel comfortable driving. I have owned every type rv from popups , travel trailers, two class A's including a diesel pusher, and before the class c a ford dulley and Montana fifthwheel. Not one of the above had loose steering and all drove and handled great. Now the Four Winds makes me feel good driving again. Never should a steering wheel have to turn 3-4 inches without the wheels turning! thanks again for your quick reply
Old 07-31-2013, 06:18 PM   #4

Tom, that is great glad the issue is solved. I do believe that 80 lbs is a little high for the front tires. On the 28 foot E350 I run 60 lbs in the frount and on the 31 foot Super duty I run 65 in the front. Both drive and handle great. I have to remind myself that I am driving a much heaver and longer vehicle.

My daily drive is a F150 truck and the response is quicker but other than that no difference. 80 lbs is probably the maximum inflation rating on the tires (it is on mine) and unless you are loaded to the maximum it needs to be a little less.

Driving a motor home should not be a chore, it should be a joy. For the wife and I the drive is as much fun as the destination. Freedom, our second home is with us.
Old 07-31-2013, 06:36 PM   #5

Thor Owners Club
I know what you mean Ron. Now I look forward to driving the MH, I had made 3 short trips in it and was hating getting behind the wheel. Now so far as this afternoon it handles really close to my F150!! Thanks Ron
Old 08-03-2013, 08:56 PM   #6

I've had the same complaint about steering...I was thinking about lowering the pressure on all wheels but I think I'll just do the fronts now. The recommended pressure is 92 so maybe I'll put 75 or 80 in. And I was also planning to ask my mechanic to adjust the steering/gearbox so it's good to hear that it worked for you. When you took it back to the mechanic, did he know exactly what the problem was after you described the steering issue
mkwarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2013, 03:27 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
yes the mechanic had a pretty good idea what it was. we had already put in new upper/lower ball joints and tie rod ends , new shocks front and back. so when he did the adjustment on the steering gear box it drove like a brand new coach and the way it should. he said he could adjust it even more but didn't want to get it too tight. I believe it is just right the way it is now. Going on a 200 mile trip this week, so can tell even more about it. But I can tell you that after test driving on the interstate and several miles on a state rd, it was a pleasure driving a MH again! the steering wheel should never have much play before the wheels start turning. I went by the sticker on the door jam which Four Winds put on the coach, 80 lbs in rear and 65 lbs in front, the 10 ply tires calls for 80 lbs but I believe Four Winds put the suggested lbs on the door jam for a reason.
Old 08-05-2013, 09:34 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
To know the correct air pressure you should run in your tires, you should have the coach weighted and adjust the air pressure to the manufacturers air pressure to weight chart. The best way to weight the coach, if possible is to weight each corner of the coach. At the least weight each axle separately.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat Pickup 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000,1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700, 2,740 Pin Weight.
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2013, 02:22 PM   #9

Steering Wheel Issues -- Update

As a follow-up to my post above, I'm happy to report that after the 2nd trip to an alignment shop, the lag in my steering was caused by a loose "drag link" that had to be replaced.

With the Safe-T-Plus and the beefed up rear sway bar that I added previously, and, most importantly, discovering and fixing what was causing the lag, I'm very happy to report my 35 foot MH drives like an SUV...it is actually a pleasure and I can't wait until my next trip.

mkwarlick
mkwarlick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #10

Mkwarlick, Thanks for letting us know the issue is resolved. It sounds like the coach now drives like it should. It should not be a chore, you should be able to enjoy the drive. To my wife and I getting to the next destination is just as enjoyable as the destination itself.
Safe travels.

Tags
steering