RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-23-2013, 06:59 AM   #1

strange sounds

2004 allegro with 6.8L V10. Started hearing sound (I think it's under dash), it's a whirling or grrring sound when I turn key to the on position before starting. I was told it might be the electric motor that runs brakes and steering in case of engine dying. If so is this good or bad??? We are new to this and just want to be sure everything is ok. We only drove it home from dealer then back to dealer to have roof ladder installed then home again, otherwise it's been setting in the driveway We only heard the sound when we started back home from dealer, but drove ok as far as I can tell. Any idea's?

jastinjr is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-23-2013, 07:18 AM   #2

Winnebago Owners Club
if it quits when you start your engine that is what it is. brakes and steering.

Old 03-23-2013, 07:43 AM   #3

jastinjr
This sound can also come from the vaccum lines to your heater. After you turn the ignition on and you hear the sound, start playing with the heater settings (AC, Max AC, Vent, Heat, Defrost). Set the dial to each heat option then wait a few seconds. If the noise stops then it is a leaking vacuum line---very common. Here is another post with pictures. vacuum line leak anyone? If this post doesn't work, do a search for vacuum line leak.

This started happening to my 2010 Meridian after only one year.
JFBell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2013, 08:29 PM   #4

Your motorhome has a hydroboost pump that provides hydraulic pressure to your brakes and steering in the event your engine dies. The sound you hear is the motor for the pump cycling when you turn on the ignition. Absolutely normal! The sound ends when the engine starts because the engine driven pump is now providing the needed pressure. No worries...normal.
GGoodsell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #5

Tiffin Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodsell View Post
Your motorhome has a hydroboost pump that provides hydraulic pressure to your brakes and steering in the event your engine dies. The sound you hear is the motor for the pump cycling when you turn on the ignition. Absolutely normal! The sound ends when the engine starts because the engine driven pump is now providing the needed pressure. No worries...normal.
I agree, dealer never told me about the noise and the first time I just turned the key on, I thought I broke something
garykk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 04:14 PM   #6

Tiffin Owners Club
I consider this a blessing! Since my Hurricane didn't do this, I asked about it during the initial walk-through after purchase. Was told that it was for the benefit of power steering and brake operation in case of engine failure. While the noise was disturbing when I first heard it, I am now very thankful for it. While I have never had a need for it so far, and hope I never do, I have read one or two threads where Thor owners have had their coach suddenly die due to bad BIRDs. (Don't know if they've changed, but my '12 Hurricane 32A didn't have it!).

DeWat is offline   Reply With Quote