Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-25-2015, 08:44 PM   #15

Are you storing with the battery off. Could it be re-learning the adaptive learning routine ?

Easy guys, I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-25-2015, 10:51 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
Are you storing with the battery off. Could it be re-learning the adaptive learning routine ?

Easy guys, I stayed at a Holiday Inn once.
Were you replying to me?

I always store it with the truck battery isolated. What is "adaptive learning routine" as applied to a MH?

Glenn
Old 08-26-2015, 04:41 AM   #17

This was read from my 1999 E450 operators manual.

Shift Strategy ( 4R100)

To account for customer driving habits and conditions, your 4R100 automatic transmission electronically controls the shift quality by using an adaptive learning strategy. The adaptive learning strategy is maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. Optimal shifting will resume within a few hundred kilometers ( miles ) of operation.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 01:54 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
This was read from my 1999 E450 operators manual.

Shift Strategy ( 4R100)

To account for customer driving habits and conditions, your 4R100 automatic transmission electronically controls the shift quality by using an adaptive learning strategy. The adaptive learning strategy is maintained by power from the battery. When the battery is disconnected or a new battery is installed, the transmission must relearn its adaptive strategy. Optimal shifting will resume within a few hundred kilometers ( miles ) of operation.
Well that is very interesting - I wasn't aware of that at all.

I've disconnected the battery the past seven years when at an RV park (or anywhere I think I won't be running it for more than five or six hours). Most days it's fine, but occasionally it's not.

It would seem strange that it would forget how to use the clutches, and as a result shift very roughly.

I'll give it a try. Thanks for the information.

Glenn
Old 08-26-2015, 06:35 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glenn,
If you have not read about the 5 Star tune you need to. There are several different threads concerning the TUNE and a lot of discussions regarding the adaptive strategies with the V-10 and the A/T involved.

The going price for the TUNE is $425. We have it and really like how the MH drives now. There was a group buy early this summer and it's cost went down to #369. They are offering another group buy as we speak. If it interests you now's the time.

TeJay
Old 08-26-2015, 06:59 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Glenn,
If you have not read about the 5 Star tune you need to. There are several different threads concerning the TUNE and a lot of discussions regarding the adaptive strategies with the V-10 and the A/T involved.

The going price for the TUNE is $425. We have it and really like how the MH drives now. There was a group buy early this summer and it's cost went down to #369. They are offering another group buy as we speak. If it interests you now's the time.

TeJay

What is 5 Star Tune, and what does it do?

When I bought my RV used, there was a small electonic part in a plastic bag that was labelled: TRANS SHIFT JUMP KIT. Have no idea what it is.

Glenn
Old 08-27-2015, 05:31 AM   #21

Ford Super Duty Owner
Glenn,
On any thread that has my handle, "TeJay" in the upper left corner just click on my name then click on, "Find more posts by TeJay." You should find the 5 Star Tune posts. I have no idea what the trans shift jump kit is.

TeJay
Old 08-28-2015, 05:40 AM   #22

Official iRV2 Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
Were you replying to me?

I always store it with the truck battery isolated. What is "adaptive learning routine" as applied to a MH?

Glenn
The adaptive learning process is when the vehicle will learn your driving style, your inputs, etc. It is a way to compromise between those that are aggressive drivers vs. those that are more "normal" drivers. If you drive aggressively the rig will shift more aggressively. This is more common to see in trucks/cars as we typically see them being driven more aggressively. With it only occurring on occasion I do not see this being your issue. Curious on the shift kit itself... I do not see many used for these vehicles.
5 Star is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2015, 05:47 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5star View Post
The adaptive learning process is when the vehicle will learn your driving style, your inputs, etc. It is a way to compromise between those that are aggressive drivers vs. those that are more "normal" drivers. If you drive aggressively the rig will shift more aggressively. This is more common to see in trucks/cars as we typically see them being driven more aggressively. With it only occurring on occasion I do not see this being your issue. Curious on the shift kit itself... I do not see many used for these vehicles.
That may be your observation, but from someone who worked on this software at Ford I can tell you that is NOT how it works.

The adaptive software does not look at how you drive. It only looks at how long each shift takes from command to completion. It then stores an adjustment to the pressure for the next shift at that speed and load to bring the clutch slip time back to the ideal time that the calibration engineer programmed into it.

A more aggressive driver will tend to fill in the adaptive tables in the higher speed/load region, while a more "normal" driver will fill in the lower speed/load portions. If a vehicle is driven by a "normal" driver, and later by an aggressive driver, the aggressive driver will not modify what was learned when the "normal" driver was in control.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:53 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
That may be your observation, but from someone who worked on this software at Ford I can tell you that is NOT how it works.

The adaptive software does not look at how you drive. It only looks at how long each shift takes from command to completion. It then stores an adjustment to the pressure for the next shift at that speed and load to bring the clutch slip time back to the ideal time that the calibration engineer programmed into it.

A more aggressive driver will tend to fill in the adaptive tables in the higher speed/load region, while a more "normal" driver will fill in the lower speed/load portions. If a vehicle is driven by a "normal" driver, and later by an aggressive driver, the aggressive driver will not modify what was learned when the "normal" driver was in control.
Mark:

So the question is: does disconnecting the truck battery cause the transmission to shift roughly?

One would think that this would not cause the problem I have described. And that I should continue to try to find a solution.

The last two times I drove int (Tuesday and Thursday) it was fine.

Glenn
Old 08-28-2015, 08:38 AM   #25

I could see where disconnecting the battery might cause some rough shifting, but it should clear up fairly quickly. In the owner's manual it talks about this, saying that some unusual shifting is possible after a battery disconnect.

In an ideal world it wouldn't happen. The calibration engineer (that was my job for many, many years) would program the computer to control the trans under all conditions and it would be set for life.

The reality is that not all transmissions are the same. No manufacturer can make a million transmissions and have them all the same. There are designed in tolerances on all measurements because no person or machine is perfect. These tolerances can add up and make transmission A react one way to the program, while transmission B reacts very differently. And as the parts age and wear their characteristics change. The adaptive software continually adjusts the pressure for each shift to try to make each transmission have the optimal slip time for each shift.

You might have a transmission that is on one end of the adaptive scale, so it takes several shifts to get the pressure back to where it needs to be.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:15 AM   #26

Glenn--
I have one of these ( see link below) installed on my transmission and it came with a plug-in device so you could restore the transmission to the stock shifting program. Maybe that's what you have in the plastic bag. Look around under the MH and follow the transmission wires. If you have the TransCommand, it will be a metal box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Banks Power | Why Add a TransCommand?
Old 08-28-2015, 09:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackymac View Post
Glenn--
I have one of these ( see link below) installed on my transmission and it came with a plug-in device so you could restore the transmission to the stock shifting program. Maybe that's what you have in the plastic bag. Look around under the MH and follow the transmission wires. If you have the TransCommand, it will be a metal box about the size of a pack of cigarettes.

Banks Power | Why Add a TransCommand?
I have the Banks system on my V10 - will check this out tomorrow and thanks for the tip.

Glenn
Old 08-28-2015, 01:03 PM   #28

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glenn NK View Post
Did your tranny do this occasionally like mine does? I'm taking it to the RV dealer for some leveling jack work to day - I'll be watching the tranny shifting (impossible to not notice if it's acting up).

Any one else use Lube Gard? What is it?

I've seen the Liqui Moly product for trannys. I use the Liqui-Moly in my engines (BMW and Triton) - it utilizes molybdenum disulfide, a highly effective lubricant.

My BMW service garage will only use Liqui-Moly for oil changes; it meets the oil specs for the German made cars.

Glenn
Lube Gard is a lubricant. Transmission fluid used to be made with whale oil as a lubricant. When whale fishing was outlawed the fluid manufacturers scrambled to find something as good as whale oil. It took a while but the manufacturer of Lube Gard came up with something as good. It basically allows the valves to slide easier. I had several different transmission guys recommend it. I was telling my parts man about it and he said he did not know anything about it, but he said Aamco transmission bought it by the case.