Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 08-28-2015, 01:19 PM   #29

It has nothing to do with valves sliding easier. It has everything to do with clutch plates sliding differently.

The transmission is designed to have a specific slip time during a shift. If that time is too short the shift is abrupt and harsh. If it is too long it is very smooth, but it wears the clutch plates MUCH faster. In extreme cases of too long shifts I've seen a transmission be destroyed in about six shifts. It doesn't take a lot.

The slip time is based on many things, but one of the most critical is the coefficient of friction between the clutch material and the steel plates they are pressed against. If that coefficient gets too low the slip times go up and the life of the trans goes down.

Modern transmissions were engineered for optimal slip time without whale oil. Adding Lubegard might not hurt, but if it makes the fluid slipperier, then it's going to destroy clutches.

Personally I wouldn't put that in one of my transmissions.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-28-2015, 01:52 PM   #30

Ford Super Duty Owner
Anything that messes with or alters the COF in the lubricants can play havoc with a transmission.

Many moons ago when I first learned about Mobil 1 engine oil I told my teaching partner about it. He was interested and did some research and decided to start using it as well. He put it in his Honda MC. When he did his wet clutch began to slip. The clutch was I assumed bathed in the engine oil and since Mobil 1 reduced the friction his Honda MC began to slip. He went back to stock oil and the problem went away.

TeJay
Old 08-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
It has nothing to do with valves sliding easier. It has everything to do with clutch plates sliding differently.

The transmission is designed to have a specific slip time during a shift. If that time is too short the shift is abrupt and harsh. If it is too long it is very smooth, but it wears the clutch plates MUCH faster. In extreme cases of too long shifts I've seen a transmission be destroyed in about six shifts. It doesn't take a lot.

The slip time is based on many things, but one of the most critical is the coefficient of friction between the clutch material and the steel plates they are pressed against. If that coefficient gets too low the slip times go up and the life of the trans goes down.

Modern transmissions were engineered for optimal slip time without whale oil. Adding Lubegard might not hurt, but if it makes the fluid slipperier, then it's going to destroy clutches.

Personally I wouldn't put that in one of my transmissions.
Mark:

I will take your advice. I have added the Moly-Slip product to my crankcase (because I believe that SAE recognized that MoS2 is an excellent friction reducer and in an engine reducing friction is beneficial). I have also used their grease, but I've always been a bit leery of using those products in my tranny (even though I never thought about the clutch plates).

Now I know why. Thanks for the enlightenment.

Glenn