Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 04-29-2015, 05:15 AM   #15

Ford Super Duty Owner
SWDAN,
I spent 2 hours fooling around with my grease gun trying to lube the 2013 chassis. Should not have run into to many blocked zerk fittings. I just ordered a pneumatic gun from Northern Tools Model # 1162. This gun has great reviews and will deliver up to 6,000 lbs of pressure. Delivered to the house for $120. Seems like a lot but not getting grease into any lube point can cost a lot more.

I opted for a pneumatic gun because the electric ones were closer to $300. I've got a compressor at home and a portable one on the rig. Also I have lubed cars for 40 years so I'm not new to the game. I gave some of those lube point 20-40 pushed of the handle and was not sure grease was getting in until I saw some coming out. Don't know what the trouble was but I just don't want to fool around with what I thought was a decent gun doing a 30 minute job that took 2 hours.

Just an idea.

TeJay
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-29-2015, 05:23 AM   #16

The impact type tool you all mentioned works wonders Northern Tool has them about $40 they work
whem2fish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2015, 06:04 AM   #17

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
The standard grease gun coupler locks on the ZERK and is designed so that when you apply prssure it grips even tighter.. I use a full size manual gun (About a foot long handle.

I have seen a professional crank his pneumatic gun up to well over 100 PSI to get a Zerk to take grease.. Cadillac, you lube 'em every 100,000 miles, no matter if they need it or not (His words, His car).

You can find the impact devices at Witney or some of the better auto stores or Farm stores.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:12 AM   #18

Thanks guys! I have ordered a pneumatic gun, new tip end and some new perks. When this stuff comes in I will attack the problem again.
Old 04-29-2015, 06:28 AM   #19

Once you finally get grease into the fittings put a cap over them to keep out the dirt. McMaster Carr has several styles.

I've used this style for many years.
McMaster-Carr

I was introduced to them when I did a brief stint as a service manager for a construction company. They're great for keeping out the mud, crud and other junk. They even work well on zerks on drive shafts. I use them on everything from the end loader to the motorhome.
Old 04-29-2015, 02:09 PM   #20

Ford Super Duty Owner
My new gun will be here first !!!!!
Well I thought it was funny !!!!

TeJay
Old 05-01-2015, 03:55 PM   #21

TeJay, got the Lincoln #1162 gun today; and with this mission accomplished! What a great grease gun, the tip even locked on the zerks. All the zerks were good the only hard one was the steering box (#9) on the chassis diagram, it took a lot of grease, I don't think it had be touched before.
Thanks again for all you guys for your help, I used all the suggestions; even turning the wheels.
So to TeJay, chboone and RDG again a Big Thanks!
Old 05-02-2015, 11:10 AM   #22
RDG

My new Lincoln 1162 grease gun will be here next week. Paid $67.03 delevered.
Lincoln 1162 Air Grease Gun Continuous 6000 PSI | eBay
Old 05-02-2015, 02:45 PM   #23

Ford Super Duty Owner
Krap!!!! My my new pneumatic grease gun won't be here until Monday. RDG! Where did you get it for $67 delivered??? I might send mime back.

TeJay
Old 05-02-2015, 05:29 PM   #24
RDG

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
Krap!!!! My my new pneumatic grease gun won't be here until Monday. RDG! Where did you get it for $67 delivered??? I might send mime back.

TeJay
Click on the link; Lincoln 1162 Air Grease Gun Continuous 6000 PSI | eBay
Old 05-02-2015, 05:51 PM   #25

TeJay, I ordered mine on Amazon, $72 and change. I'm a Prime member so the shipping for two day was taken care of.
Old 05-04-2015, 09:08 PM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
My new grease gun came today. Yep I know I paid more than anybody else did. It's still a sweet working machine.

Put the grease in it but it was dark so I didn't grease the MH. Well it's already greased but we have to try out the new toy. Now that I can really pump some grease into the KP's I want to get all the old grease out and fill it with the synthetic grease.

TaJay
Old 05-05-2015, 12:31 PM   #27

Ford Super Duty Owner
Tried the gun this morning and as reported this is one sweet tool. It makes greasing the chassis almost a non job. I also used by big compressor at the beginning but wanted to know if my new little portable one will work for greasing on the road. It worked just fine.

TeJay