Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 09-18-2017, 11:41 AM   #1

Sumo Install

Well finally getting around to sharing the recent install of Sumo Springs on our coach.
Having a 2014 Ford f-53 26,000 lb. chassis is, at times, a handful. We also had the sway, roll and other aspects that many people talk about. Not complain, just talk about. Well, after 1 times too many of pulling out of a gas station with a pretty good dip, dw say's that's enough. Please do something so that I do not feel like this thing is going to roll over when we pull out of certain situations, or when truck's pass, or when the wind blow's. You get the picture? So, one Saturday morning me and a neighbor friend installed the Maxim Sumo Springs front and rear. Install on rear was a little different than the front. Not hard, just different. Think this may be a Newmar issue more than anything because of some of their supports and brackets. After the install process ( about 3-4 hours of really taking it easy) install was complete. Decide to go right then and try out the upgrade. I do believe it was the best upgrade I have done on any RV I have owned in the past 8 years. And that would be ton's of them. Noticed almost immediately when leaving the RV park that the roll around a 90 turn was drastically improved. Just so you know that yes, I have done the front and rear CHF with extension brackets on the front. And that in it self did help out. But this carried it to a whole new level of comfort. We drove for about 75-80 miles that day. Parking lots, city streets and interstate. I honestly cannot tell you that there is a more harsh ride The DW say's she can not feel a harsher ride either. It very well could be there. I just can not feel it. Did notice not near as many rattles inside as before (dishes and other things). Also not as much push from tractor trailer rigs either. Couple of time's they even kind of snuck up on me. Did not notice the wind as bad either. Took a trip about 3 weeks later fleeing from Hurricane Harvey and also did not notice much wind and had about 25-30 mph wind that evening. Another improvement was, also, when you would exit the interstate sometimes it would feel like your front left wheel was just going to kind of not make that turn, well that is no more either.
So for what it is worth, and the problem's that I felt that I had with my coach, it was a very worthwhile investment. Do not have to be a mechanic to do this install either. Certain tools, Yes. Mechanic, No.
I would like to say thank you to some of you that have given me advice on this upgrade and others. Thank you. Hopefully this was not to boring, but it is a very worthwhile upgrade.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-18-2017, 12:25 PM   #2

I am glad you had good results from the sumo's like we did.Our coach is a lot shorter, so it proves that at any length they work.
purrin along is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2017, 06:06 AM   #3

Bobby,

I've read this with great interest. Sumo is on my radar.

You said that you previously did the CHF with extended links. Did you retain that or return the sway bar links to the original position with the Sumos?

If still in CHF position, have you considered returning the sway bars to original, now with Sumos? That would be very interesting.
Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 AM   #4

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Yup they work as designed........

Too bad Newmar does not offer them as an option if ordering new from the factory as Tiffin does.

I have to agree with you, sometimes a semi does "sneak-up" on you!! No difference - the big trucks do not affect the motor home.

We found they did not smooth out the ride but it did not make it any harsher either.

As I have said on previous threads, my motor home rides great after the Sumo all around Maxim install.

But now I am considering my next "upgrade", Safe-T-Steer. Not sure it is worth it as I have no problem tracking down the road or with truck push. I would like a little help with the wind gusts tho. From what I read - it does help keeping a straight track in the wind.

Then definitely down the road a piece - Koni shocks.

I enjoyed your post.......

g
Old 09-19-2017, 07:51 AM   #5

Randy,
Yes, I did retain the CHF on the coach. I have definitely thought about going back to stock. Even with the extension's on there, the front wheels have a tendency to come off the ground when leveling. Not always though, so that is why I have not reverted back to stock. Also, kind of hesitant to mess with a good thing.
Glenn,
Safe-T-Steer is also next on my list.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphisbobby View Post
Randy,

Yes, I did retain the CHF on the coach. I have definitely thought about going back to stock. Even with the extension's on there, the front wheels have a tendency to come off the ground when leveling. Not always though, so that is why I have not reverted back to stock. Also, kind of hesitant to mess with a good thing.

Glenn,

Safe-T-Steer is also next on my list.

Thank you for your reply, Bobby. I should have expanded my thought to address the harshness. When I did the CHF I think it induced a harsher ride. My intent was since I think you were also mentioning harshness, that perhaps the Sumo springs could handle the chassis sway and with the sway bars in the original position might equate to sway control without introducing harshness. Only issue is the extended links.
Old 09-21-2017, 08:09 PM   #7

CHF made a noticeable and appreciated difference on my coach, but Blue Ox front and rear sway bars + sumo springs made the biggest and by far the most dramatic improvements.

All of them were easy to DYI. Since the rear Blue Ox sway was redundant to the stock sway, I left the CHF on that bar. Since the front was removed and replaced, CHF no longer applied.

I also have the Safe-T-Plus, and it's funny because I noticed how much it worked a lot at first, but now that I've acclimated to the increased steering resistance (really negligible to begin with) I sometimes wonder if it's still working.
RickySpanish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2017, 06:55 PM   #8

I also just finished the DIY Sumo install and just got back from a 400 mile trip and agree with all the positive improvements mentioned. I installed a Roadmaster Reflex Steering Stabilizer last year, which I really like. The combination of two (& CHF) has made OK driving/handling as perfect for this F53 for the near future. Koni shocks down the road, but wife is happy now.
Rpwainc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
install