Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-24-2015, 12:30 PM   #1

Sumo Springs

Have a Tiffin 36 LA 2015. Have read a lot about the Sumo Springs. All good comments. In fact it sounds like a hype. Too many glowing comments. What do you think?
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-24-2015, 05:22 PM   #2

Damon Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
They work. SUMO's are needed only if you still have problems with sway AFTER adding front and rear sway bars, Rear trac bar and Koni shocks.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers > Coil SumoSprings
Old 06-24-2015, 05:40 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggy Daddy View Post
They work. SUMO's are needed only if you still have problems with sway AFTER adding front and rear sway bars, Rear trac bar and Koni shocks.
SuperSprings Self-Adjusting Suspension Stabilizers > Coil SumoSprings
I Just installed front and rear sumo springs, made a huge differeance in handling,and ride, I have a 22000 lb chassis, stock sway bars,no track bar, and bilstien shocks, I ordered safety steer,I am done after that, coach rides sooooo much better with sumo springs, can't imagine needing anything else on my coach.

ps. tiffin offers sumo springs now on their coaches installed at factory.

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Old 06-25-2015, 02:21 AM   #4

they realy work great... I use them on all my motorhomes...

https://youtu.be/tAwYDeatmV4

Old 06-25-2015, 02:33 AM   #5

heres with my 26' 158'' wheel base winnabago

Old 06-25-2015, 02:51 AM   #6

Old 06-26-2015, 05:14 AM   #7

Thor Owners Club
I put them on my coach. I bought the Maxim springs, they attach top and bottom. They smooth the bumps on the highway so they arent so jolting.
Old 06-26-2015, 07:19 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knightab View Post
I put them on my coach. I bought the Maxim springs, they attach top and bottom. They smooth the bumps on the highway so they arent so jolting.
I have been following discussions about Sumo springs because I have noticed the "wobble" when making turns onto uneven surfaces. With my 34TGA it is manageable but still requires attention. I have posted a similar comment over on the Tiffin RV Network forum but I have not really gotten a clear explanation so I will try here. This is not criticism of Sumo Springs, as a potential customer I am just trying to understand.

Since the springs attach at top and bottom, it is clear that they are forced to both expand and contract as the axle moves below or above its static position. That means they either pull against or push against the frame of the motorhome as the axle moves down or up. Because they are designed with a lot of internal resistance (they would not keep vibrating on their own) they would quickly dampen out any left and right rocking and rolling of the body of the motorhome. This is what irritates many of us when turning into a gas station or getting hit by a sudden wind gust.

However, for the life of me I can't figure out how they make a smoother ride over joints or other bumps in the road. If tires hit a one inch rise in the road, they are going to want to move up. The Sumo springs will transfer MORE of that force to the frame ... the body of the motorhome. The only way I can see that the ride would be smoother would be if this limiting of axle motion keeps the axle from hitting the bumper stops. That often happens on a big bump if the motorhome is squashed down by being overloaded or has worn out springs.

A second concern ... if the Sumo springs help to resist axle/frame motion, is more of the force of a big pothole absorbed by added flexing of the tires?

Just looking for clear answers before I spend that much money!

2014 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Old 06-26-2015, 07:35 AM   #9

Thor Owners Club
Hi Gary, you have to remember that the Sumo's are absorbing and the compression happens inside the spring preventing it from transferring to the coach. If it were a solid link it would definitely transfer that motion to the frame or the tire. While it is connected to top and bottom it essentially works like a shock in controlling compression and rebound. Using the logic you are thinking imagine taking the shocks off the coach or better yet, take the spring out of a pogo stick. The sumo's will cushion that instant application of force and decrease the effect by the time it actually gets to the frame. Hope that helps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorwig View Post
If tires hit a one inch rise in the road, they are going to want to move up. The Sumo springs will transfer MORE of that force to the frame ... the body of the motorhome.
It won't transfer but will help absorb.
Old 06-26-2015, 08:17 AM   #10

I have the sumo springs on the rear of my Prism. Before installing them it rocked pretty bad when going over driveways and whatnot. After the install it rocks much less and rides a lot smoother. Well worth the money IMHO.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:26 PM   #11

I have Sumo's on the rear of my Xterra. Made a world of difference. Just received sets for front\back of the MH. Going to install this weekend. FYI - had to go with the Solo's. Some coach mfr's (my Fleetwood among them) weld a body support bracket to the frame right where Maxim bracket needs to mount to the frame. Check you frame before ordering.
Old 06-26-2015, 10:17 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by PbdBlue View Post
I have Sumo's on the rear of my Xterra. Made a world of difference. Just received sets for front\back of the MH. Going to install this weekend. FYI - had to go with the Solo's. Some coach mfr's (my Fleetwood among them) weld a body support bracket to the frame right where Maxim bracket needs to mount to the frame. Check you frame before ordering.
the brackets come with a sudjested mounting spot... if something is in the way it is very ok to mount them where they will fit...
Old 06-26-2015, 10:24 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gorwig View Post
I have been following discussions about Sumo springs because I have noticed the "wobble" when making turns onto uneven surfaces. With my 34TGA it is manageable but still requires attention. I have posted a similar comment over on the Tiffin RV Network forum but I have not really gotten a clear explanation so I will try here. This is not criticism of Sumo Springs, as a potential customer I am just trying to understand.

Since the springs attach at top and bottom, it is clear that they are forced to both expand and contract as the axle moves below or above its static position. That means they either pull against or push against the frame of the motorhome as the axle moves down or up. Because they are designed with a lot of internal resistance (they would not keep vibrating on their own) they would quickly dampen out any left and right rocking and rolling of the body of the motorhome. This is what irritates many of us when turning into a gas station or getting hit by a sudden wind gust.

However, for the life of me I can't figure out how they make a smoother ride over joints or other bumps in the road. If tires hit a one inch rise in the road, they are going to want to move up. The Sumo springs will transfer MORE of that force to the frame ... the body of the motorhome. The only way I can see that the ride would be smoother would be if this limiting of axle motion keeps the axle from hitting the bumper stops. That often happens on a big bump if the motorhome is squashed down by being overloaded or has worn out springs.

A second concern ... if the Sumo springs help to resist axle/frame motion, is more of the force of a big pothole absorbed by added flexing of the tires?

Just looking for clear answers before I spend that much money!
heres the deal.. your leafs are progressive... and so are the sumo's..

the sumos progess softer than the springs... so it fills the gap that is undesirable with the leafs.... the leafs go from a soft ride to a rock hard ride... the sumos slow that down to asorb the energy and make a smooth transition ...

I have a set coming for the new class C I just bought... really help with trailer towing also
Old 06-27-2015, 05:10 AM   #14

Fleetwood Owners Club
[QUOTE=LVRVLUVR;2622372]heres the deal.. your leafs are progressive... and so are the sumo's..

the sumos progess softer than the springs... so it fills the gap that is undesirable with the leafs.... the leafs go from a soft ride to a rock hard ride... the sumos slow that down to asorb the energy and make a smooth transition ...

I have a set coming for the new class C I just bought... really help with trailer towing also[/Q

Hey lvrvlvr, you are absolutely right about sumos,love our coach ride now, and I also checked and repacked front wheel bearings on my coach after reading your saga,thanks for that info,mine are ok, you promped me to check them with your story. were you not happy with the excursion?

Rapid Rick
2013 Fleetwood Terra 35K
Closed Thread