Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-16-2017, 08:20 AM   #15

Ford went to 10 lugs in 2006.

Cibelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-16-2017, 09:04 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
I callled American Force Wheels ( custom wheel manufacturer ) and spoke with the owner.
They make a 19.5 wheel with a 6.75 width in the proper lug pattern but he said he will not sell to rv owners and would not give a reason !

Kind of seems like a lousy way to do business. Get I could lie about the application and buy a set but if I had any issues I would be holding the bag.

Old 12-17-2017, 09:48 PM   #17

Winnebago Owners Club
Most of those custom wheels are for show and cannot carry the load. Good looking but not sturdy for an RV. You need about 4000lbs weight rating per rim.

7.5 from goodyear is way to wide for the rv and you risk damaging the rim prior to a tore (good for the tire manufacturer). Even at 6 inch (have not yet checked mine) the tire fits well. Many Jeeps with wider tires are worse off than the RV and have no problem.

It is a 10lug rim and reduces vibration and wandering due to better balance. The steel junk from FORD is just not worth a single penny they coat them.

Reiner
reinerka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 09:18 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
Most of those custom wheels are for show and cannot carry the load. Good looking but not sturdy for an RV. You need about 4000lbs weight rating per rim.

7.5 from goodyear is way to wide for the rv and you risk damaging the rim prior to a tore (good for the tire manufacturer). Even at 6 inch (have not yet checked mine) the tire fits well. Many Jeeps with wider tires are worse off than the RV and have no problem.

It is a 10lug rim and reduces vibration and wandering due to better balance. The steel junk from FORD is just not worth a single penny they coat them.

Reiner
Reiner..

have you been able to confirm whether your steel wheels were 6 or 6.75 and your new aluminums are 6 or 6.75?

looking forward to the same mod but haven't been able to confirm with anybody who has done the change

id like a real life review ...

I have 6.75

thanks
Vato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:11 PM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
This was one of the first upgrades I did on my 2003 F53 (Flair) chassis after I bought it. The steel wheels were out of round, and new ones may have been too. The steels that I found were about $300 each, and the Alcoa's were $375 and $100 shipping to my door. That's a no brainer. I also installed Centramatics at the same time I did the wheels and tires. I caught myself, with very light traffic, on the I-8 west speeding at 80MPH. It was smooth as a Cadillac.

I got the center caps a little while later, and it looks pretty sharp to me now.

BigBlockTank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2018, 02:57 PM   #20

Thor Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockTank View Post
This was one of the first upgrades I did on my 2003 F53 (Flair) chassis after I bought it. The steel wheels were out of round, and new ones may have been too. The steels that I found were about $300 each, and the Alcoa's were $375 and $100 shipping to my door. That's a no brainer. I also installed Centramatics at the same time I did the wheels and tires. I caught myself, with very light traffic, on the I-8 west speeding at 80MPH. It was smooth as a Cadillac.

I got the center caps a little while later, and it looks pretty sharp to me now.
Post a pic for us!
Old 01-24-2018, 08:24 PM   #21

Quote:

Do you remember what size wheel and tire combo?

Wheels 6x19.5 or 6.75x19.5. ?

Tires 725 or 745 x 19.5. ?

oh... and pics?

thanks
Old 01-30-2018, 02:05 PM   #22

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Do you remember what size wheel and tire combo?

Wheels 6x19.5 or 6.75x19.5. ?

Tires 725 or 745 x 19.5. ?

oh... and pics?

thanks
I don't remember, but I think they are 6" wide, and yes, they are 19.5's and I don't remember the tire size.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	418.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	190642  

Old 02-10-2018, 05:17 PM   #23

Winnebago Owners Club
Click image for larger version

Name:	20180210_101741.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	191819

They are 19.5x6 and work darn well. Still waiting for hub covers.

The rig handles perfectly well like it is supposed to. No biffetting issues from trucks either. If you have handling ossues this fixes the issue as the steel rims are junk. The original ones wobbled 2 inches side by side when balancing.

Reiner
Old 02-11-2018, 10:36 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by reinerka View Post
Attachment 191819

They are 19.5x6 and work darn well. Still waiting for hub covers.

The rig handles perfectly well like it is supposed to. No biffetting issues from trucks either. If you have handling ossues this fixes the issue as the steel rims are junk. The original ones wobbled 2 inches side by side when balancing.

Reiner
Thanks a bunch Reiner...

I assume your tires are the stock 745s?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:16 PM   #25

Quote:

Where did you get these?
Old 02-12-2018, 08:15 AM   #26

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hgrace56 View Post
Where did you get these?
Wheels from here... https://www.southwestwheel.com/default.aspx

Centramatics from Tire Balancers, Tire Balancing, Wheel Balancer and Wheel Balancing from Centramatic

Wheels were $1500 delivered to my door. Centramatics were about $500 for the set, I think. Then I put Firestone tires on. Best ride, short of a 40' diesel pusher on air ride.....

Old 02-13-2018, 08:37 AM   #27

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vato View Post
Thanks a bunch Reiner...

I assume your tires are the stock 745s?
Yes, stock Goodyear tires....

Reiner
Old 02-13-2018, 08:46 AM   #28

Looks like a nice Mod, but every time you have your tires rotated the tire shop will have to break and remount all six of your tires. A very good reason Not to have Aluminum wheels

danny285 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tires