Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 02-10-2016, 08:13 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sway Bar Bolt Missing!

So, I was under my MH yesterday (2004 F53) inspecting for an upcoming trip, and noticed the bottom front passenger side sway bar nut and bolt was gone!
I have not removed the bolt from the other side yet to compare, but does anyone know off hand if this is an "off the shelf" hardware bolt, or something made specific for the F53?
DudePa is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:16 AM   #2

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Most likely off the shelf. You can take the other one to a decent hardware store and they will sell you a duplicate. Just make sure it is the same hardness. Number of marks on head of bolt. Reinstall with threadlocker and torque to (I think) 66 lbs.
Grey Ghost I is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:26 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
Dude,

Good find. Just last fall I was working on a friends RV doing the CHF on the rear and we found a rear differential sway bar bracket bolt missing. The bracket was twisted into almost a pretzel. We were at a CG but there was a shop across the street. He had it straightened, re-welded and put it together.

Do exactly as GG I said especially the blue lock tight. Better safe than sorry. The darn things will come loose and they shouldn't if installed correctly. The lock tight is added safety.

TeJay
Old 02-20-2016, 07:18 AM   #4

I'm really surprised to hear that I'm not the only one to discover this problem.
The first thing I found after we got the 2012 Bounder 35K in the driveway was a bolt missing from the rear swaybar on the driver side. Mine was metric with the head marking showing grade 10.9. It seems an SAE grade 8 is an alternative if you can't find a metric.
METRIC HEAD MARKINGS | Mark's Bolts Nuts & Surplus
In my case I can use either one because it's a bolt/nut/lock washer combination.
Just be sure to use a high strength bolt and not a common one.
Locktite is also good.
JohnH12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:01 AM   #5

I traded my 2005 Winnebago Sightseer in for a 2016 Winnebago. While I was under my 2005 removing aftermarket gear I noticed that my passenger side sway bar bolt was missing. I told the dealership but I don't think they cared.

They sold my trade in with absolutely nothing done by the dealership. My old coach didn't ever leave their locked over flow lot before it was sold according to my salesman. He put a hold on it because the dealership was to transfer my 6 volt batteries to our new RV. After the work was done he left the hold order on hoping to sell the RV himself. JD
Yellowboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 09:06 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Take the time to write a complaint to the NHTSA about this defect and hopefully Ford may check or replace broken and fallen out bolts and brackets with something that doesn't do that anymore. I have filed 2 complaints for both sides of the rear axle that involved a lost bolt on the drivers side and broken bracket on the other side.
2012 Bay Star 2901, 2 ACs, 5.5KW Onan, 765W solar & Outback FM-60, 800 AH Lifeline AGMs & Magnum MS2812 + AGS + BMK, Koni FSDs, Safe-T-Plus, Super Steer Rear Track Bar, MCD Duo shades w/powered cockpit, remodeled galley, Sumo springs and 2008 Tacoma 4x4 toad.
joes2901 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 01:28 PM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
Just because a SB bolt is missing does not seem to concern Ford. It is not a safety issue so they won't bother. It's usually only when they might get sued they become concerned. This is true for all the manufacturers not just Ford.

We already know from our experiences if something is wrong, missing, or just not working properly they will not issue a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) or a recall unless it is a SAFETY issue which might result in a law suit.

If something is not working correctly they issue the TSB's. They are issued based on the number of complaints from customers to the dealers and maybe to some other entities who then report it to the manufacturers. When and only when you complain they'll find the fix in the TSB's (maybe).

While some minor issues may effect thousands of vehicles not all complain so they don't issue a recall. We have a 2001 CIVIC and were issued a SAFETY recall on the air bag. That was just 2 years ago when the car was 13 years old.

TeJay
Old 03-13-2016, 09:36 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Heard a creaking noise under the motorhome while cornering. Crawled underneath and found a drivers side sway bar bolt missing. Went to Farm and fleet and got a replacement off the shelf. Didnt check what grade it was though. Installed it and it has been fine ever since. Ford must have left it loose. the bushing and holder had turned on the sway bar and moved down the bar a bit. The creaking was the swaybar rubbing on the differential.
Old 03-13-2016, 10:09 AM   #9

Ford Super Duty Owner
Sure don't know how many out there are loose but I believe it would be prudent for all F-53 owners to check the SB bracket bolt torque.

I've worked in those factories and know that any bolt that is supposed to be torqued is done with an automatic torquing gun. They are supposed to be fool proof which means that the operator is taken out of the equation. It does mean that the wrench does have to be checked and calibrated from time to time.

It is recommended that they be torqued (66 ft/lbs) and I use RED lock tight on those bolts as an added measure. After all nobody is going to have to remove those brackets again for at least 20,000 to 30,000 or more miles (life of the bushing). Why no make it impossible for them to come loose except with the use of heat??

TeJay
Old 03-13-2016, 10:33 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grey Ghost I View Post
Most likely off the shelf. You can take the other one to a decent hardware store and they will sell you a duplicate. Just make sure it is the same hardness. Number of marks on head of bolt. Reinstall with threadlocker and torque to (I think) 66 lbs.
DudePa
If you feel the need to torque the bolt you get... tighten it to the torque specified for the "diameter","thread size/type" and "grade" of the bolt you get... (no more, no less).
Mel
'96 Safari
mel s is offline   Reply With Quote