RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-13-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Sway bar on E-450 disengaged

I've owned this RV for 1.5 years. I'm the second owner. It looks like the last owner might have had an upgraded front sway bar partially installed. When I looked this morning, both ends of the sway bar are not attached to the bolts. Also, if I pull the sway bar down to bring it close to the bolts, it bangs into the spring. Like maybe it's the wrong size or something. Here's a picture. The sway bar is marked as a Roadmaster 1139-176.

Anybody have any ideas of what's going on? Am I right in assuming that it's pretty dangerous like this?

Cyrus
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191113_130040-modified.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	312.0 KB
ID:	266782   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20191113_130044.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	266783  

CyrusL is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-13-2019, 03:40 PM   #2

This is from my E-450. The numbers Are The same. I would check to see if it was mounted correctly, or if there was some damage at the mounts.Click image for larger version

Name:	1113191635a.jpeg
Views:	10
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	266784Click image for larger version

Name:	1113191636.jpeg
Views:	9
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	266788

Bill 3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 04:01 PM   #3

The Roadmaster site list that part number for a 2016 Forest River, Forester.

It should be the correct bar but you will need some new links. You can get them from Ford or NAPA auto parts.

They probably didn't tighten the nuts properly and the fell off.

As far as contacting the springs, see if the bushings up under the radiator are OK.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

Update: My current theory is that either someone went to upgrade it and forgot to finish the job or (as twinboat suggested) they didn't tighten them enough and the nuts fell off. I think it's more likely it just wasn't finished since the RV only has 17k miles on it.

Anyhow, I went to the Ford dealership and got the correct nuts. Then I went to Harbor Freight since I didn't have a torque wrench. I had to mostly remove the entire bar in order to get it down past the springs. Anyhow, it's all back to where it should be. And, now I have an upgraded anti-sway bar instead of no anti-sway bar at all!

The reason I looked in the first place was to see if it had been upgraded. If it hadn't, I was going to order one. So, I guess I'm ahead on the cost.

Thanks for your input everybody!
Old 11-14-2019, 09:59 AM   #5
NXR

I'd follow twinboat's suggestion and replace the links or at least look at them very closely. That angled bolt with a nut on it in the lower red box does not look happy.

I'm not even sure why that nut is there. On a stock sway bar there is no nut between the sway bar and the bushing.

Ray
Old 11-15-2019, 08:56 AM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
NXR,

At a first look it seems there is no good reason for the inner nut. Look at the link nut picture again. The inner nut it there to control or center the link along the threaded shaft. If it wasn't there the outer nut would have be tightened all the way down so it could be correctly torqued.

Now look at the pics in post #3. The link is vertical or at right angles to the SB. Pretend the nut is missing and see where the link would end up. If the inner nut were not there it would be pulled over at least another inch towards the SB end putting it at a compromised or incorrect angle.
Old 11-15-2019, 10:52 AM   #7
NXR

Yeah, maybe they used the nut as a spacer. Only the OP can see the angles in 3D so perhaps they will reply.

Ray
Old 11-15-2019, 01:46 PM   #8

Look again at what you are calling the inner nut. It's part of the shaft. It's there to keep the shaft from rotating when tightening the nut.
Old 11-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #9
NXR

Quote:
Originally Posted by House Husband View Post
Look again at what you are calling the inner nut. It's part of the shaft. It's there to keep the shaft from rotating when tightening the nut.
I did see that it's past the threads but thought it also could have vibrated in that direction.

Ray
Old 11-16-2019, 10:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by NXR View Post
Yeah, maybe they used the nut as a spacer. Only the OP can see the angles in 3D so perhaps they will reply.

Ray
OP here. I guess the picture is a little difficult to decipher. There is not inner nut. That's just the way shaft is for putting on the sway bar.

I checked it all out and did a test drive today. I think it's all in pretty good shape now. I'll go ahead and put it on my checklist to inspect it at the same time I get the oil changed so I can make sure they don't come off again.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:44 PM   #11

So, how does it handle?. There should be a significant difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyrusL View Post
... it's all back to where it should be. And, now I have an upgraded anti-sway bar instead of no anti-sway bar at all!...

George Schweikle is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sway bar