RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 01-18-2015, 04:41 PM   #1

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Tag axle air dryer

or discussant [sp]. I have searched the forum without success.

All air compressors I have seen have a drain on them, but have not seen nor read about one on the air system for the tag axle on my Newmar [in the sig.]

Just trying to get all the periodic maintenance done before setting out on journeys this year.

Greg2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-19-2015, 02:29 PM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
Are your air bags inflated from an engine mounted compressor? An diesel pusher air brake/suspension system is usually powered by a compressor mounted on the engine. The air line from the compressor leads directly to the air dryer just forward or beside the transmission. When full psi is reached, the air dryer will open a purge valve and an explosive hiss can be heard. On chassis with only a compressor for air bags, they often don't have a dryer but will have an electric valve that purges moisture from the storage tank periodically. See if the air tank for your system is equipped with an electric valve, it should be visible from underneath since it's on the bottom of the air tank. While checkng the air tank, see if it has a manual purge valve that might have a cable or lanyard attached leading to a wheel well or some other location accessible from outside the RV. (My tank purge valves lead to my LP tank compartment)

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:30 PM   #3

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
BFlinn181 Thanks. I will check it in the morning sometime. I have got to take the front shocks out pending receipt of new ones, and will check it when I need a rest.
A reply will be forthcoming.
Old 01-21-2015, 08:24 AM   #4

You may have better luck posting in the Newmar section. Ford never offered a tag axle. Various manufacturers added them. So the system you have is foreign to most Ford owners.

tderonne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:46 PM   #5

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
The tag axle on an F53 chassis are not the same as on Diesels. Are the air bags on the drive axle? If they are, they may have been added by a previous owner either Air Ride or Firestone air bags. Follow the air lines from the bags, most likely you have to add air manually. The tag axle probably has rubber springs and was supplied by Mor/Ryde to the manufacturer of the coach.
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 07:05 AM   #6

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by tderonne View Post
You may have better luck posting in the Newmar section. Ford never offered a tag axle. Various manufacturers added them. So the system you have is foreign to most Ford owners.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chboone View Post
The tag axle on an F53 chassis are not the same as on Diesels. Are the air bags on the drive axle? If they are, they may have been added by a previous owner either Air Ride or Firestone air bags. Follow the air lines from the bags, most likely you have to add air manually. The tag axle probably has rubber springs and was supplied by Mor/Ryde to the manufacturer of the coach.
tderonne-good point, never thought of it not being aftermarket to Ford. Maybe a moderator will move this post for me.

cboone- The air bags are on the tag axle and IIRC are Mor/Ryde. Sprngs/bags?I don't know the proper nomenclature however they inflate and deflate.
Old 01-22-2015, 11:17 AM   #7

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Maybe you have a Kelderman suspension. Don't know if they put them on a tag. Have you tried calling Newmar? I know yours is a 94, the link was the only one I couldfind on their site.

1999+ Ford F53 Motorhome Chassis 2-Stage Rear Air Suspension | Kelderman
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
Old 01-23-2015, 08:13 AM   #8

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Maybe you have a Kelderman suspension. Don't know if they put them on a tag. Have you tried calling Newmar? I know yours is a 94, the link was the only one I couldfind on their site.

1999+ Ford F53 Motorhome Chassis 2-Stage Rear Air Suspension | Kelderman
Thanks for the idea but I am 99% sure it is the Mor-Ryde system. I cannot look now but will check ASAP.
Old 01-23-2015, 06:53 PM   #9

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg2 View Post
Thanks for the idea but I am 99% sure it is the Mor-Ryde system. I cannot look now but will check ASAP.
Don't know if Mor/Ryde ever made an air bag tag. Only thing they show on their web site is rubber spring suspension. The attached picture is what I have.
I found an old ad for a coach similar to yours. It does describe the tag axle that can be raised and lowered from the cockpit. There should be a compressor some where, unless a previous owner removed it.
http://www.irv2.com/rvclassifieds/sh...try-aire&cat=4
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DolphinTag Axle New Spring.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	316.8 KB
ID:	84045  
Old 01-23-2015, 10:24 PM   #10

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Sorry re-read your first post, just ignore my posts. To late for me to delete it. Did find it is a Granning Air Tag.
Old 01-24-2015, 11:09 AM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Sorry re-read your first post, just ignore my posts. To late for me to delete it. Did find it is a Granning Air Tag.
YOU get the prize, a smiley face!

Just got in from the motorhome and did look, and it is a Granning Air Tag. As per the data it self drains and other than ensuring the bags inflate little or no periodic maintenance is required.
Thanks all.