Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 09:05 PM   #1

Jayco Owners Club
Tapping Noise in Ford V10

Has anyone had the issue of a tapping engine noise in the Ford V10 engine.
I have a new Winnebago with a Ford V10 that has a constant tapping engine noise. At times it is very loud and then not so loud, but is constant.
Under 1200 miles.
Fawndale is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-12-2017, 10:17 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
I assume you checked the oil. I'd go to a Ford dealer and ask them to listen.

Couple friends of mine have the V10 and I've never heard them tapping.
Arch Hoagland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:30 PM   #3

I drive a lot of V-10's in my employ and have never heard tapping. It could be valve train related or something else. It's not normal, get it checked out.
V3600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 10:36 PM   #4

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Mine not even close being under warranty, so I would use a mechanic stethoscope to find where the tapping is coming from.
Old 12-12-2017, 11:51 PM   #5

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TRY a Ford TRUCK Dealer
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2017, 11:54 PM   #6

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
TRY a Ford TRUCK dealer, could be lifter click, piston slap, dead animals on the serpentine :-); pulleys, belt, tensioner, or recall issue?
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2017, 07:40 AM   #7

Ford Super Duty Owner
You are in luck because you said it was constant but louder at times. That's an easy diagnosis since you don't have to keep taking it back because they can't get it to make noise when they listen for it. As suggested take it to a ford truck dealer and they should be able to find it.

You can buy a mechanics stethoscope (maybe $20) and locate the area from where it's coming.

Will ford do anything about it???? That really depends on what they find. Sometimes they won't fix a sticking lifter because it usually goes away after it warms up. If it's an injector they will fix it because it's not to expensive.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:17 AM   #8

Jayco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fawndale View Post
Has anyone had the issue of a tapping engine noise in the Ford V10 engine.
I have a new Winnebago with a Ford V10 that has a constant tapping engine noise. At times it is very loud and then not so loud, but is constant.
Under 1200 miles.

Thanks for all of the response. Took it to a Ford dealer.
They are saying that the bearings in the “roller rocker arm” froze up.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:22 AM   #9

Monaco Owners Club
That’s much better than what it could have been. Pretty easy fix if you are mechanical. If not the cost should still be manageable because there’s not a lot of labor involved.

Good luck!
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 01:58 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
With only 1,200 miles on the unit it's covered by your warranty.
Old 12-14-2017, 02:13 PM   #11

Monaco Owners Club
There’s also a possibility that it could be a hydraulic lifter that is not holding the oil needed to keep it pumped up. This would make a push rod/rocker arm clatter
Chargerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2017, 05:03 PM   #12

Keep us posted with your progress on how the dealer handles this repair and what really failed. I hope it is fixed right the first time.
You said it has 1,200 miles how miles were you able to drive it before the noise started? I only ask because it is may be worth while to have a sample of the oil checked out to see if you have any high levels of metal running through your system. It may be good to have this documented in case you have any other issues before or after your factory warranty times out. Good Luck
RELHUB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2017, 09:00 AM   #13

Jayco Owners Club
The motorhome was delivered from the Winnebago factory to the dealership from which we purchased it.
I was informed that the driver who drove it from the factory to the dealership filed a report, with no mention of the "tapping" noise.
I asked the sales person about it and he stated that he did not hear anything.
There was a multi point inspection done and nothing was mentioned about the noise.
Does that sound normal.
Oh well. The issue has been detected and hopefully it will be corrected.
Old 12-15-2017, 10:08 AM   #14

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fawndale,

Perhaps in times past one of those involved in the delivery and selling of your RV would have mentioned it to somebody. In these times there are those who would hope that nobody (even the eventual owner) would notice the tapping noise. That also depends on when the noise actually began. Maybe it didn't occur until after you bought it, but I highly doubt it?

I've talked to and read posts from many new RV owners who had vibrations, pulling, alignment and crooked steering wheel issues that were never reported by delivery or sales folks.

I have built or supervised the building of hundreds of engines. The engines being built today are of much higher quality and closer tolerances. The proof of that is when we compare how many miles were put on engines of the 60's and 70's compared to today. Many, many years went by before very many American engineered engines would get over 100,000 miles. Now it has become routine.

More than likely something happened out of the ordinary on the assembly line which cause the eventual noise issue. What you have going for you is the fact that it has so few miles. Based on that fact I don't believe I'd accept a repaired engine. You have a right to expect a quality factory engine with the same warranty as NEW!!! .

Second reason is simply this. Finding a shop that can realistically repair that engine would not be an easy task. Rebuilding these aluminum engines is nothing like the cast iron engines. They are vastly more complex and therefore much easier to make mistakes unless one is well schooled and has a lot of experience.

It's not impossible but much less likely. Finding a shop to do these type of repairs depends on the part of the country you are in.

Tags
ford, noise, v10