Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-12-2017, 06:02 AM   #29

Tiffin Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waiter21 View Post
mrv8outboard;

Is that the kit that Mark linked to in post #12 ???
No, they are different. The inserts are thin and are flared at the top of the insert rather than the bottom like the Time-Sert. The Time-Sert will repair the hole where that type and other are blown out of as well.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-17-2017, 08:29 PM   #30

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Who personally had a ford v10 blow a spark plug and what did you do to fix it?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:47 AM   #31

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Nobody?
Old 12-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #32

I see it a lot , I own a truck and car repair shop. It is common ,
n2587n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 06:02 PM   #33

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Who personally had a ford v10 blow a spark plug and what did you do to fix it?
Did you read my opening statement ? The weird thing is, I researched the problem and it is usually the number 4 plug. Mine was the number 4 plug. After finding out it is almost always the number four plug, I have decided to redo the installation (remove the plug that I locktited in and install a insert.) and change all plugs.
Old 12-21-2017, 09:31 PM   #34

Fleetwood Owners Club
Can this be prevented by doing anything before it blows out?
Old 12-21-2017, 09:39 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darryl View Post
Can this be prevented by doing anything before it blows out?
It's not guaranteed to happen.

If changing plugs follow Ford's recommended procedure. Most failures reportedly can be traced back to poor installation practices.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2017, 09:48 PM   #36

Fleetwood Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by nothermark View Post
It's not guaranteed to happen.

If changing plugs follow Ford's recommended procedure. Most failures reportedly can be traced back to poor installation practices.
I've got around 42K on my 1998. I'm guessing they are original. Do you think it would be worth while to take it to a Ford dealer and get them changed?
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 PM   #37

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by ga traveler View Post
Did you read my opening statement ? The weird thing is, I researched the problem and it is usually the number 4 plug. Mine was the number 4 plug. After finding out it is almost always the number four plug, I have decided to redo the installation (remove the plug that I locktited in and install a insert.) and change all plugs.
Do you happen to have a bore scope that will take pictures number 4? I be interested in knowing how many threads are in there.
Old 12-22-2017, 07:10 AM   #38

Quote:
I've got around 42K on my 1998. I'm guessing they are original. Do you think it would be worth while to take it to a Ford dealer and get them changed?
The plugs are platinum rated for 100,000 miles. Early problems were in the transportation sector where non believer mechanics decided to change them much earlier and usually without a torque wrench. They often ended up pulling the heads to fix or replace them hence "the problem". By the time the RV industry caught up the various fixit kits were developed. If you are really worried buy a kit and keep it in the MH. In the mean time take a large wrench to any mechanic who wants to mess with the plugs. You may never need to change them if you have 42K on a 1998. This is a case where being proactive is a bad idea.
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 07:16 AM   #39

Tiffin Owners Club
I have done many in my shop. Seen all cylinders do it. I also have some that have never had an issue with the spark plugs. Why some and not all?

So to sort of answer that you first have to understand that engineers made it to work under factory conditions. This does not always work in the real world.

There is always a cause for the consequence.

Scenario one, loose or improperly tightened spark plugs at change of the plugs.

Scenario two, Detonation, this coupled with the lack of thread count leads to the ejection of the spark plug. Think of it like an air impact gun or air hammer. It will loosen the plug enough to compromise the thread integrity and pow, out come the plug.

The second is the most common I find and it also explains why is it not all but some.

Fuel quality is the worst contributor. Oil quality and cooling system maintenance. Load and general maintenance follow.

Then there is some with all prevention measures utilized it still fails.
mrv8outboard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 10:20 AM   #40

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrt_1111 View Post
Do you happen to have a bore scope that will take pictures number 4? I be interested in knowing how many threads are in there.
I don't have a bore scope,but I don't need one. I checked the plug when it came out. It had 1 aluminum thread on the plug. It was obvious the plug had worked it self loose and was hanging by one thread. I used red locktite and installed a new plug and coil. (did nothing to the threads.)It got us home from Daytona with no problem. I am going to install a new insert because I am afraid 3 threads are not enough and the threads might be worn from the loose plug. I am also going to have the new plugs torqued to 28 ft lbs. That is almost twice as tight as Ford called for. I have never heard of a plug ejection on a V10 with plugs torqued at 28 ft. lbs. There is a company in California that does V10 ejection repairs and will guarantee no blown plugs that they torque to 28 ft pounds.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:30 AM   #41

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Most V10 engines never have a problem. Mine is also a 1998. If you do decide to change plugs. Don't go back with the original Platinum plug. Go to the iridium plug and have them torqued to 28 ft lbs. If you do this you are good for almost 200,000 miles on your coach. The V10 with iridium plugs are rated for 100,000 miles, but many people are going over 150,000 miles with no problems.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:26 PM   #42

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I just turned 60k miles on my 1999. I'm going to leave them until 100k miles, That should be 4-5 years...
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote