Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 12-02-2017, 08:02 AM   #1

Ford Super Duty Owner
The Dreaded Spark Plug ejection!

I have a 1998 Pace Arrow with a 1999 Ford V10 engine. As were were driving past the Daytona International Speedway, I suddenly heard a VERY loud popping sound. I knew I was in trouble. It was a blown spark plug. 68,000 miles and 19 years with no engine problems and now this. I was lucky to be two blocks from a Bob Evans restaurant that had closed down. I pulled in and removed the dog house. The number 4 coil was bent and split. I removed the coil and the plug was jammed into it. I examined the plug and found the last thread had aluminum in it. I reasoned that it had backed out and blown when only one thread was holding. I headed for o'reilly's auto parts and bought a new coil, a new plug and some red loctite. I coated the threads of the plug with the loctite and installed the plug. The plug is a 100,000 mile plug. Now I have a problem. I believe the plug is firmly installed. The red thread locker is very strong. Most motorhomes never make 168,000 miles. Should I leave well enough alone or should I remove the plug and install a insert. My first thought is to remove the plug, BUT and this is a big BUT. The threadlocker may not release and may crack the head or break off some the plug in the head.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-02-2017, 08:09 AM   #2

They use heat to loosen thread locker, so its probably not going to hold for long.

Get the insert kit and install it before it blows out again.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:12 AM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Should have used blue! With luck, you may get it out when the engine is good and hot.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:16 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
Workhorse Chassis Owner
Location: Kamloops, BC, 60 miles from the Center of the Universe according to the Rinpoche, of the SF monks.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinboat View Post
They use heat to loosen thread locker, so its probably not going to hold for long.

Get the insert kit and install it before it blows out again.
500 degrees needed to release red Loctight.
Happy Glamping.
Happy Glamping, Norman & Elna. 2008 Winnebago Adventurer 38J, W24, dozens of small thirsty ponies. Retired after 40 years wrenching on trucks! 2010 Ford Ranger toad with bicycles or KLR 650 in the back. Easy to spot an RVer, they always walk around with a screwdriver or wrench in one hand!
Unplanned Tourist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:35 AM   #5

If it was me and I had the insert kit handy the plug would never pop out. Just sayin... ;-)
nothermark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 08:52 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unplanned View Post
500 degrees needed to release red Loctight.
Happy Glamping.
And the tip of the plug is running a bit above 900 degrees. That heat is going someplace.
twinboat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 10:59 AM   #7

If the plug is holding with the red locktite, I would buy the kit to have on hand and do nothing until you had to.
spyderRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderRV View Post
If the plug is holding with the red locktite, I would buy the kit to have on hand and do nothing until you had to.
That is the way I am leaning. In 2015 I did a brake job. Ford had used the red locktite and even when heated with a torch, the bolts were almost impossible to remove.
Old 12-03-2017, 06:38 AM   #9

Theres a kit you can buy from Auto Parts stores, that has a tap in insert that will cut its own threads, that the plug will screw into, kinda like the non foulers from years ago, a different spark plug than normaly used & a different length rubber boot for the coil. Looks to be a simple install, be sure its straight & just screw the insert in, the plug next & then add the shorter boot to the coil.
I want to say Dorman, is the brand of the kit but not 100% sure on that. Bought one couple years back & put in our coach for just in case we blew one out.
Neil
Old 12-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
REMINDER (for those that are doing for the first time) FILL THE TAP W/ GREASE and HOPEFULLY, 100% of shaving will come back out with the tap (vs scoring cylinder)
THenne1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2017, 06:41 PM   #11

Does someone have a link to this kit? I’ll add it to my collection. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-03-2017, 10:34 PM   #12

Fleetwood Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
iRV2 No Limits Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by EricV View Post
Does someone have a link to this kit? I’ll add it to my collection. Thanks in advance.
I been carrying this one for a couple of years, thank goodness I have not had to use it. It came with instructions and requires loctite.

https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-65000-S.../dp/B0045CUNT2
Old 12-04-2017, 05:15 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
How many miles do you have on the red locktite plug??

Its hard to say what I'd do, until I'm in that situation... However, I can see where I'd buy a thread kit and carry it with me, and keep running the locktite plug...

I also have a 1999 chassis. Mine is in very, very good shape so I'd be willing to spend money on the engine. I know I need to repair a couple exhaust studs, and I'm considering a valve job, mainly to put on a new head gasket.
Waiter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2017, 05:18 AM   #14

I'm not wanting to hijack the topic, but along the same lines I have a 2007 Ford, F150, 5.4 engine and due to poor engineering there was some years they had problems with the spark plugs. Some years the threads were not long enough and like the OP mentioned, it blew plugs out. On my year it was a two piece plug that wanted to break off when replacing. I'm sure many of you know of this problem.
My question. Does the V10 have those same problems, and what year or years? My chassis is 2008 F53.
Thank you.
edge68474 is offline   Reply With Quote