Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-16-2016, 04:44 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by lionofjuda View Post
On the bushings.....And I didn't stay in a Holiday express last night!
Not to loose, not to tight but the proper fit works for me.

Do we pick them from a barrel or order them ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-16-2016, 04:45 PM   #72

You have to look at the actual msrp for the Ford F53 Chassis, it is in all the paperwork you received with your MH. I don't have mine with me right now, but on ours it had the stabilizer bars added front and rear, heavy duty front track bar, a preferred equip package( I do not know what that includes), as well as changes to the wheelbase, a different rear end differential ratio. These are all listed in the optional equipment section. There may be some other things that is off the top of my head. Some other manufacturers may do this but when we compared it to my friends some of these things were not listed. Again I think the biggest factor is how the MH is engineered to the chassis, and proper weight distribution.
Mike and Cha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 04:49 PM   #73

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike and Cha View Post
You have to look at the actual msrp for the Ford F53 Chassis, it is in all the paperwork you received with your MH. I don't have mine with me right now, but on ours it had the stabilizer bars added front and rear, heavy duty front track bar, a preferred equip package( I do not know what that includes), as well as changes to the wheelbase, a different rear end differential ratio. These are all listed in the optional equipment section. There may be some other things that is off the top of my head. Some other manufacturers may do this but when we compared it to my friends some of these things were not listed. Again I think the biggest factor is how the MH is engineered to the chassis, and proper weight distribution.

I did hear that some manufacturers do not have a rear SB... That seems crazy to me.
lionofjuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:02 PM   #74

Quote:
I did hear that some manufacturers do not have a rear SB... That seems crazy to me.
I would agree with you. I don't know but like you said on a prior post you can notice the difference in a test drive, and I would imagine it only gets worse once loaded up and on the road at highway speeds vs where most dealers try to have you do a test drive. I would just recommend to anyone looking to do a good test drive, take it as far as you can and not just on the smooth roads the salesman picks, and compare low end to high end of your price range MH's before purchasing because there is definitely a difference. At the starting price of these things spending a few thousand more for a little better quality will really make a difference in how well you enjoy it.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:17 PM   #75

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
I would agree with you. I don't know but like you said on a prior post you can notice the difference in a test drive, and I would imagine it only gets worse once loaded up and on the road at highway speeds vs where most dealers try to have you do a test drive. I would just recommend to anyone looking to do a good test drive, take it as far as you can and not just on the smooth roads the salesman picks, and compare low end to high end of your price range MH's before purchasing because there is definitely a difference. At the starting price of these things spending a few thousand more for a little better quality will really make a difference in how well you enjoy it.

Agreed! I wish I could afford the DSDP!! But the Canyon Star is a very good rig for us two just starting out. The wife is going into traveling nursing and we have drove everything we could get our hands on over the past 8 months. We have come to the conclusion that Newmar is a GREAT coach and the Canyon Star 3914 is what we want and can afford.

Sorry about all the misunderstanding in the past posts!! We get out that way let me buy you a coffee or a beer.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:29 PM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by narampa View Post
Man oh man! What a cluster!
I have read and reread this thread from start to finish twice.

I just want to say this.
There is a poster who said (bushings are too tight). I will never agree with this statement.

Loose bushings don't last.
I am not going to get technical about this as I am still waiting for my Rocket Science Certificate.
Anybody else agree with me?
I think you need to read it again
LVRVLUVR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2016, 05:31 PM   #77

Quote:
Agreed! I wish I could afford the DSDP!! But the Canyon Star is a very good rig for us two just starting out. The wife is going into traveling nursing and we have drove everything we could get our hands on over the past 8 months. We have come to the conclusion that Newmar is a GREAT coach and the Canyon Star 3914 is what we want and can afford.

Sorry about all the misunderstanding in the past posts!! We get out that way let me buy you a coffee or a beer.
Yes, we love our Canyon Star too, it is the perfect size for us and we are glad we did our research and drove as many as we could before buying.The first MH we drove at an RV show( I won't mention the brand) it scared the heck out of us and we thought we were going to die, all due to the ride and handling. It was funny because we both thought the same thing and my wife kept quiet during the test drive, but I told the salesman it felt like a death trap. She just wanted to forget the whole thing and not buy a MH as she thought they were unsafe from that experience. I had to talk her into testing another MH at a dealership which really made her change her mind.

Sorry about the misunderstanding in the other posts too, I would bet we have a lot in common, and it would be fun to get together if we are ever in the same area.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:36 PM   #78

well.... just swapped the tires to 225-70-19.5s... I went with the goodyear g661
Old 03-16-2016, 05:37 PM   #79

Quote:
Yes, we love our Canyon Star too, it is the perfect size for us and we are glad we did our research and drove as many as we could before buying.The first MH we drove at an RV show( I won't mention the brand) it scared the heck out of us and we thought we were going to die, all due to the ride and handling. It was funny because we both thought the same thing and my wife kept quiet during the test drive, but I told the salesman it felt like a death trap. She just wanted to forget the whole thing and not buy a MH as she thought they were unsafe from that experience. I had to talk her into testing another MH at a dealership which really made her change her mind.

Sorry about the misunderstanding in the other posts too, I would bet we have a lot in common, and it would be fun to get together if we are ever in the same area.
did you drive one with 19.5 tires??
Old 03-16-2016, 05:39 PM   #80

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:

Thats so funny....its like you are living my life on the west coast!...LOL It's almost the same here until we drove a Newmar. We even drove the T.... I wont spell the out lol. and was scared to death and I drive truck for Sysco foods! So glad we found the Newmar!

I'll hit you up when we get out west...going to NC for 3 months 1st. Be safe in your travels!
Now back on topic!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:41 PM   #81

Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post

I know I didn't so I have no clue on them!
Old 03-16-2016, 05:47 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by LVRVLUVR View Post
Yes we did not like the ride on the 19.5 tires, that was the deciding factor for us. I made my mind up early on that that I wanted the 22.5's. We did test drive the Newmar Baystars, which at the time had the 19.5s, and they did drive better than other brands with the 19.5's, but they still did not drive as well as our Canyon Star with the 22.5's.
Old 03-16-2016, 05:57 PM   #83

Quote:
Yes we did not like the ride on the 19.5 tires, that was the deciding factor for us. I made my mind up early on that that I wanted the 22.5's. We did test drive the Newmar Baystars, which at the time had the 19.5s, and they did drive better than other brands with the 19.5's, but they still did not drive as well as our Canyon Star with the 22.5's.
that's why I had a custom made set to bolt on to the f53 10 lug chassis,,, the problem I came up with was once you go up in gvw you really need the diesel power.... that why I went back to diesel when we bought the excursion... last year I think??? I bought a gas tiffton allegro... thing weight 20,500 lbs....

that's a lot of lbs by the time I add a 10k trailer...

I keep trying to find the smallest coach with the most power..so far the winnabago 26'r win in all the power struggles.... pulls the same trailer up the
same hill 20 mph faster that the excursion, or the journey 350hp diesel pushers
Old 03-16-2016, 06:01 PM   #84

I happen to have my Newmar brief case at home with me. This is from a '15 Bay Star 22k chassis, 22.5 wheels and it handles quite nicely.

Under Standard functional (I am only quoting handling items)
Gas Fill Shocks
Heavy duty front track bar
I-Beam front suspension
Stabilizer Bar Front/Rear
Taper Leaf Spring Rear suspension

Optional Equipment
22.5 tires and Aluminum wheels
22K GVWR pck
Heavy duty front track bar
8K front GAWR
Falcon 2 All terrain tow bar, RVi2 brake, Towmate TM3 wireless lights
avid_dk is offline   Reply With Quote