RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-20-2014, 05:48 PM   #1

Winnebago Owners Club
Tire monitoring system

I have been given a tire pressure /Temp monitor system with 10 sensors. I have been unable to get the inner rear wheels (main ones I want to monitor) to work. All the others work fine. Called the company and after numerous tries they told me my valve extensions put on by the factory were not comparable with their system.However they could not tell me what type or manufacturer to purchase. Bought new extensions at RV dealer and got one side to work, but then it quit. Have tried the sensors on other wheels and they work fine. Also put in new batteries.
Any one have any ideas on the problem or how to fix it???

carluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-20-2014, 09:42 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

You probably want to specify what brand and model of TPMS you have so those with knowledge of them can chime in.

Rick

2007 Itasca Ellipse 40FD
RickO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2014, 09:50 PM   #3

Winnebago Owners Club
They are $74.89 for a pair of transmitters for use with aluminum valve stems or $80.79 for a pair of transmitters for use with standard valve stems.

Are the extensions the same as the rest of the wheels?
Old 06-21-2014, 02:15 AM   #4

Winnebago Owners Club
It is a Tire Tracker TT 400 c brand. Works on all the wheels including the car, except for the innere rear wheels. The outer rears have extensions also and they work fine.
Old 06-21-2014, 02:26 AM   #5

Winnebago Owners Club
No extensions on the car or front wheels of MH. Have 45 degree extensions on the outer rears and they work fine.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:00 AM   #6

Winnebago Owners Club
Here is the latest saga. Took the inner valve extensions off and screwed the sensors directly on the valve stem and they work fine. Took the valve extensions and installed them on the car and the sensors worked fine, so the extensions are not the problem.
Old 06-21-2014, 10:23 PM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
Looks like you should leave the extensions on the car!! Not making light of the situation as I find things like this really frustrating.

Why do the sensors work when hooked directly to the valve stem as well as on the valve extension when placed on the car. My guess would be the sensor location when on the extension on the inner tire. Can you get a longer extension or perhaps screw the tow extensions together to see what happens on an inner tire?
Old 06-21-2014, 10:31 PM   #8

National RV Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Do you get a reading on your tire gauge when the extensions are on the inner tires? If you don't the extensions are not depressing the schrader valve in the valve stem.

Chuck
1999 35 ft. Dolphin 5350, F53, Banks System, 5 Stars Tune, Air Lift Air Bags, Koni Shocks, Blue OX TruCenter, TigerTrak track bars F&R, Roadmaster 1-3/4" rear auxiliary sway bar, 2004 F450 Lariat 6.0 Diesel Crew Cab DRW, 4X4, B&W Custom Truck Bed, GVWR 15,000, Front GAWR 6,000, Rear GAWR 11,000, GCWR 26,000, 1994 36ft Avion 5er, GVWR 13,700
chboone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 12:36 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickO View Post
You probably want to specify what brand and model of TPMS you have so those with knowledge of them can chime in.

Rick
I have pressure Pro and they had a blurb about the valve stem not being long enough to contact the pressure sensor, my extensions were longer than normal valve stems I gently filed the end of the extension and the core now makes contact and works fine. Pressure Pro has a brass guage for that problem to check for proper length. hope this helps..
okiefrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014, 07:03 AM   #10

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
Looks like you should leave the extensions on the car!! Not making light of the situation as I find things like this really frustrating.

Why do the sensors work when hooked directly to the valve stem as well as on the valve extension when placed on the car. My guess would be the sensor location when on the extension on the inner tire. Can you get a longer extension or perhaps screw the tow extensions together to see what happens on an inner tire?
That is a good question, which I can't figure out either. I will try screwing the 2 extensions together and see what happens.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:06 AM   #11

Winnebago Owners Club
That is the question I also have. The extensions that came on it were about 10 inches long and the new ones about 7. Ill try hooking them together and see what happens.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:07 AM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
Yes I get a reading fine and am able to put air in the tires with no problem.
Old 06-23-2014, 07:09 AM   #13

Winnebago Owners Club
I assume you removed the shrader first then filed off the top a dab where the sensor goes on?????
Old 06-24-2014, 07:41 AM   #14

Winnebago Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by carluv View Post
No extensions on the car or front wheels of MH. Have 45 degree extensions on the outer rears and they work fine.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Dewald View Post
They are $74.89 for a pair of transmitters for use with aluminum valve stems or $80.79 for a pair of transmitters for use with standard valve stems.

Are the extensions the same as the rest of the wheels?
Apparently the tire tracker transmitters are set to work with a specific type of metal. If the extensions are aluminum and do not work and the transmitters work on standard brass valves it is likely a problem there.

Dont know about other brands. I got the information from the parts department of Lichtsinn.