Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-17-2017, 08:34 PM   #1

Torque Pro app, no transmission temp. display

I have 2017 Ford F53 motorhome and use a OBD2/Torque Pro app. to display my fuel mileage, coolant temperature, RPM's, etc. I cannot get the transmission temp sensor to work. In available sensors, it is not "lit up" as an available sensor. Does anyone know how to get this to read or what the correct PID codes are, if I were to add a custom PID? I know the data is there, as scan gauge can pick it up, but I prefer the Torque interface.

Thanks, Dan
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-17-2017, 09:57 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fla2RI View Post
I have 2017 Ford F53 motorhome and use a OBD2/Torque Pro app. to display my fuel mileage, coolant temperature, RPM's, etc. I cannot get the transmission temp sensor to work. In available sensors, it is not "lit up" as an available sensor. Does anyone know how to get this to read or what the correct PID codes are, if I were to add a custom PID? I know the data is there, as scan gauge can pick it up, but I prefer the Torque interface.

Thanks, Dan
Have you tried deleting the vehicle and starting over?

If I recall, the usual choices in most vehicles are just assuming transmission temperature is the same as coolant temp, due to no dedicated sensor.

I don't have my MH at my house or I would more easily test it for you.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:34 PM   #3

Torque does not display trans temp if I recall correctly.
Old 05-19-2017, 09:03 PM   #4

Its not part of standard OBDII, I got it working in dash command by buying the Ford specific codes. FORScan will also pick it up.
Old 05-20-2017, 05:34 AM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
That's kind of strange. I've got the SCAN Gauge II and it has always displayed TFT or Transmission Fluid Temperature.

It may have fooled me but if memory serves me correctly I recall scanning through all the standard read out options and the TFT is displayed more than once.

I'll double check it again when we take our next trip.

One reading that I have never been able to get is the cylinder head temperature. I've called them twice on it and still no luck. It will display CHT but I get no reading.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:46 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
That's kind of strange. I've got the SCAN Gauge II and it has always displayed TFT or Transmission Fluid Temperature.
Scan-gauge just knows the Ford specific stuff, here is their doc on the Ford specific codes:

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...ncoln-mercury/

If you wants something that just works out of the box Scan-gauge is great.

I have an iPad mounted on the dash for Nav, got a WiFi OBDII scanner to show engine info which is nice on the big screen and there are multiple apps to choose from that work with the scanner. Just trickier to get one that recognizes the Ford specific protocol for trans temp. Had to pay $10 to get Ford code set on Dash Command and ForScan was $5.
Old 05-21-2017, 04:32 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Scan-gauge just knows the Ford specific stuff, here is their doc on the Ford specific codes:

https://www.scangauge.com/x-gauge-co...ncoln-mercury/

If you wants something that just works out of the box Scan-gauge is great.

I have an iPad mounted on the dash for Nav, got a WiFi OBDII scanner to show engine info which is nice on the big screen and there are multiple apps to choose from that work with the scanner. Just trickier to get one that recognizes the Ford specific protocol for trans temp. Had to pay $10 to get Ford code set on Dash Command and ForScan was $5.
I use Torque Pro with my 2016 Allegro w/ V10 & 6spd transmission. I do get TFT that is distinct from Engine Coolant Temperature. Trying to remember now but I believe it is from the Ford Extended PID list. When I get to my MH I will check.

Is anyone able to show what gear you are in on the 6-speed? I used to be able to on my 2004 4-speed but can't get a gauge to work on the 6-speed
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 04:49 PM   #8

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike8253 View Post
I use Torque Pro with my 2016 Allegro w/ V10 & 6spd transmission. I do get TFT that is distinct from Engine Coolant Temperature. Trying to remember now but I believe it is from the Ford Extended PID list. When I get to my MH I will check.

Is anyone able to show what gear you are in on the 6-speed? I used to be able to on my 2004 4-speed but can't get a gauge to work on the 6-speed
Actually, I use the Extended PID Transmission Temperature and it is working. Now that this topic has been posted, I am hoping it's actually a TFT reading.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:56 AM   #9

I have a 2015 F53 chassis and use Torque Pro. I could not get the TFT or gear to show. Also did a bunch of searches and nothing could be found on how to add those specific PIDs. Tons of info on Ford diesels but nothing I could find for the F53 gasser.
If anyone has specifics on how to add the PIDs for gear and TFT it would be great.
FYI, I tried to add a new profile and scan for extended PIDs without success. I believe this will need to be added manually but need the PID number and formula.
Old 05-22-2017, 06:29 PM   #10

Ford Super Duty Owner
I do not want to high jack the thread but which OBDII plug in do you have? I bought a cheap one and Torque Pro but I could not get it to work with my 2003 V10. It works fine on my Suzuki. Go figure.
RandalVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 12:58 PM   #11

BAFX PRODUCTS OBDII DIAGNOSTIC INTERFACE, on Amazon for under $20, works great

Dan
Old 05-23-2017, 09:23 PM   #12

Ford Super Duty Owner
Thank you Dan.
RandalVV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 11:35 AM   #13

yeah, i'm pretty sure it's possible, just no one has posted up the right combination of PID codes with proper headers and such. there are 3 i think tft's for ford in the extra pid section of torque, but there are many more actual variations ford used over the years. none of them work as is for my 99 obd1 e450 v10. being that scangage works, the data can be gotten, someone just needs to figure out the right combo to modify one of the pid's listed in torque....
mcnugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2017, 12:46 PM   #14

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Here is a Gear PID that works for me on my 2016 Tiffin Allegro. (V-10 w/ 6-spd transmission) . I was finally able to get a working PID to track what gear the 6R140 6-spd transmission is in on TorquePro. You have to create your own Extended PID that you can then turn into a gauge on your dashboard. Following pertains:
PID: 221e12
Long Name:[Ford] Current Gear
Short Name: Gear
Min Value:0
Max Value:100
Scale Factor: 1x
Equation:A
OBD Header: Auto

Test it with the ignition on "Run" but without the engine running. If you get a response you can put it on your dashboard.

Also, in the Ford Extended PID list in Torque, I found that PID 221e1c works to present transmission temp on my 2016.

Tags
transmission