RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-05-2018, 08:51 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
The torque is around 250 ft/lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench to do it so I used the 1/2"-D impact and added the blue lock tight. That was 25,000 mile ago and all is still well.

Wait... former auto shop instructor and no torque wrench?

jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-08-2018, 09:46 AM   #16

Winnebago Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I really don't believe torque is critical here. Just tighten as much as practical. It is not a lug nut or a head bolt. And I love my torque wrench. Use one every time I put my Jeep driveshaft in after towing. The real problem for me was busting the old nuts loose. No room to swing a breaker bar and my 1/2" IR rattle gun didn't have enough pressure at the gun to do the trick. I ended up using an 1 1/8" box wrench and a floor jack.

CJ7ole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2018, 12:39 PM   #17

Ford Super Duty Owner
jomo,

"The torque is around 250 ft/lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench to do it."

The "It" in the previous sentence from post # 3 refers to the fact that I didn't have a torque wrench that reached 250 FT'LBS. I really didn't think I had to explain but!!

No I don't have just one TW I have 5 and that includes several inch LB TW's used to install carbide cutters on my spiral cutter heads for the the joiner and planer.

Why the nit picking??? Just wondering!!

CJ7ole,

I agree regarding the torque for a shock bolt but you do know those 3/4" bolts are not correctly tightened unless they are stretched as indicated by the requirement to get them to 250 FT'LBS. The manufacturer can't just tell us and the techs to just get it close. I don't like it any better than most but rightly or wrongly that opens them up for a law suit.
Old Yesterday, 08:14 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
jomo,

"The torque is around 250 ft/lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench to do it."

The "It" in the previous sentence from post # 3 refers to the fact that I didn't have a torque wrench that reached 250 FT'LBS. I really didn't think I had to explain but!!

No I don't have just one TW I have 5 and that includes several inch LB TW's used to install carbide cutters on my spiral cutter heads for the the joiner and planer.

Why the nit picking??? Just wondering!!

CJ7ole,

I agree regarding the torque for a shock bolt but you do know those 3/4" bolts are not correctly tightened unless they are stretched as indicated by the requirement to get them to 250 FT'LBS. The manufacturer can't just tell us and the techs to just get it close. I don't like it any better than most but rightly or wrongly that opens them up for a law suit.
Tejay

I wasn't nit picking. It was a joke. Who the heck uses a torque wrench for shocks anyways? I've never seen anybody use one Jeez...
jomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:22 AM   #19

Ford Super Duty Owner
jomo,

I guess I was having one of my off humor days. Sorry!!!!!

As far as torquing shocks I have years of experience on cars and small trucks and also don't recall torquing shocks. I have very little experience on heavy trucks and RV's. I guess out of caution and lack of the experience we tend to want to follow the recommended procedures.

Several heavy truck technicians also reported here they never bothered torquing many suspension system fasteners. They hit it with the 1/2" or 3/4" impact and called it good.

Then there was the time maybe 16 to 24 months ago on these forums when Ford failed to properly torque some shock mounts on the F-53. A knocking noise was reported and it was determined to be a loose shock mounting bolt.

Tags
koni, shocks