Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-31-2018, 10:43 AM   #1

Torque setting for Koni Shocks

2018 - F53, 24k chassis

I am replacing my stock shocks with koni fsd on front and back. Does anyone know the proper torque settings?

Thank you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-31-2018, 11:59 AM   #2

Gulf Streamers Club
A quick search of the forum, using the search box with the Google logo shows this thread. While the thread is about Bilstein shocks, the torque should be the same.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2018, 03:55 PM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
The torque is around 250 ft/lbs. I didn't have a torque wrench to do it so I used the 1/2"-D impact and added the blue lock tight. That was 25,000 mile ago and all is still well.
Old 11-01-2018, 06:20 AM   #4

Thank you for the responses. Much better than the koni dealer or my local shop.
Old 11-03-2018, 07:43 AM   #5

Agree 250 foot pounds, plus blue Loctite. Although the 250 ft lbs does sound a bit excessive.

I have koni quad shocks, purchased the mounting hardware F and R from Henderson. There recommend torque spec is only 130 ft lbs . I torqued to the Ford spec.
Old 11-03-2018, 01:44 PM   #6

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peter M,

Excellent point and I agree that 250 FT/LBS sounds like a lot but always keep in mind it's the size and class of the bolt that determines the torque required to stretch the bolt just the correct amount. The actual job the shock is expected to perform only enters into the equation based on the engineers choice of the bolt size & class.

That was why I just hit the bolts with the 1/2-D air ratchet and used the blue lock tight. They may not be tight enough based on bolt stretch but they won't come loose.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:18 AM   #7

TeJay I agree and totally understand the fastener torque grading system.

I have a question for you. Regarding nut and bolt fasteners, Is the fastener properly torqued to spec if the torque wrench is on the bolt side ?

At times some fasteners I can not get the torque wrench on the nut side. I guess testing of this phenomenon could be performed on a fastener with bolt and nut accessibility.
TIA
Old 11-04-2018, 09:39 AM   #8

Ford Super Duty Owner
Peter M,

Good question!! My answer is YES as long as the friction surfaces on the bolt side are close to or as close as possible when compared to the nut side. You know were are dealing with friction surfaces that resist the turning of either the nut or the bolt side.

The threads resistance inside the nut and bolt will not change so it would be the contact surfaces on the bolt head side. They shouldn't be appreciably different if the bolt, nut and washers are new and not lubricated unless it is specifically part of the install instructions. If lube is recommended it's usually only on the threads so the contact surface friction/resistance won't come into play.

Even under the best of circumstances the standard bolts are only within 10 to 30 lbs of being set to manufacturers specifications. That is the precise reason why the auto industry went to the TTY (Torque To Yield) bolt for the modern aluminum engines. They needed a more precise torque not dependent on a technicians skill set and often poor quality or not calibrated torque wrenches.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:17 AM   #9

When I replaced my OEM shocks with Koni FSD's, I have a 1/2" drive, 3' torque wrench that does go way past 250'lbs. but there was no way I could get enough leverage under the chassis to achieve that even with a cheater pipe. No room. I just layed on my back, braced myself with my feet up on the chassis and got them as tight as I could. Probably somewhere in the 150-200 range. That was nearly 2 years ago. I do check them periodically. They're all good.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 11:59 AM   #10

Gulf Streamers Club
While I understand the need to precisely torque bolts in engine assembly and other critical areas where stretching the bolt shaft is necessary for proper performance, I don't see the need in mounting shock absorbers. The bolt serves as the shaft the shock's rubber bushing rides on, at a 90º from the bolt/nut rotation. As long as the bolt and nut is tight, perhaps also treated with Locktight Blue, I guess I just don't understand the critical need to torque to 250 ft lbs, 150 ft lbs, or whatever.

Bob & Donna
'98 Gulf Stream Sun Voyager DP being pushed by a '00 Beetle TDI
BFlinn181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2018, 12:22 PM   #11

Fleetwood Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
I've only used torque wrenches on head bolts. Never a problem. Tighten them as tight as you can while under the vehicle. Doing this for 60 years.
Old 11-04-2018, 12:31 PM   #12

Monaco Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by BFlinn181 View Post
While I understand the need to precisely torque bolts in engine assembly and other critical areas where stretching the bolt shaft is necessary for proper performance, I don't see the need in mounting shock absorbers. The bolt serves as the shaft the shock's rubber bushing rides on, at a 90º from the bolt/nut rotation. As long as the bolt and nut is tight, perhaps also treated with Locktight Blue, I guess I just don't understand the critical need to torque to 250 ft lbs, 150 ft lbs, or whatever.
Same here.
CountryB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2018, 06:03 AM   #13

Ford Super Duty Owner
Fiesta48,

Hope you used them on main and rod bearings bolts as well.

I'd guess we are all saying about the same thing and BFlinn181 said it about as well as could be stated.
Old 11-05-2018, 06:34 AM   #14

There are 3 tightening settings depending on bolt size.

1 Grunt
2 Grunts
2 Grunts and a mo%&$# %$#€£.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
koni, shocks