Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-18-2019, 09:01 PM   #1

Tow/Haul??

Did a 5Star Tune last week followed by a short weekend trip. Loved what a change it made in the shifting. Starting a 4000 mile trip on Sun. want to know what to do with the T/H? Leave it in all the time or just in traffic and going over hills. Like everything there are lots of varied thoughts out there.
Thanks
Dale
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-18-2019, 09:46 PM   #2

Monaco Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Have the 5 star tune, when on highway tow/haul is on, as I exit for city driving I turn it off, love the way it downshifts on mountains, just tap the brake pedal, great shift points to get you going,plus tow/haul increases the line pressre,wich avoids slipage.
avfordguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 06:05 AM   #3

Ford Super Duty Owner
We have the 5-speed transmission and the 5-Star TUNE. I only use T/H when going down a grade so I can use the brake tap and employ more and better downshifting (DS). If I keep T/H on while driving level it tends to down shift sooner and hits the 4,000 RPM's to often and to soon for me.

I know I'm often told the V-10 is designed to be a high revving engine. I understand but why try to race up a hill getting 1 to 2 MPG and have to listen to those revs??? We really won't get up the hill appreciably faster but we'll use more fuel for really no good reason. I prefer a slower climb at ether 2,500 or sometimes 3,000 RPM's on the steeper grades.

For those that may not know this and it does not work for every Ford F-53 chassis the RES button on cruise control (CC) works on ours just like a CANCEL button. It disengages (CC) and you use the pedal to stay at a moderate cruise RPM.

If I allow the CC to climb the hill and if it (DS) to 2,500 RPM i'll depress the gas pedal a little and hit the RES button. If I gave it enough pedal it stays at the 2,500 or sometimes 3,000 RPM range. When I near the crest I'll hit the RES button again and the CC takes over. If I hit it to early it may DS again. This allows me to avoid the 3,000 and 4,000 RPM DS. In addition it gives me more activities to avoid being bored.
Old 06-19-2019, 07:09 AM   #4

Thanks TJ. I have always wished the F53 cruise control had a cancel button. I will try this next time I drive it. That would be great.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2019, 12:03 PM   #5

Ford Super Duty Owner
There's a good chance it will work since our chassis are very close to the same age. Just put it on cruise control and the green light on your dash will come on. Hit the RES button and if it goes off then it will work. Hit it again and you'll be back on CC.

I love driving it with that RES working as a cancel button. When climbing a hill I always hated shutting the CC off and even hated hitting the brake to cancel it even more. Not fair for those behind me.
Old 06-20-2019, 08:01 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
When climbing a hill I always hated shutting the CC off and even hated hitting the brake to cancel it even more. Not fair for those behind me.

Completely agree. I can't wait to try it.
sbleiweiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2019, 08:08 AM   #7

Winnebago Owners Club
I have Tow/Haul on all the time. It helps tremendously with braking, and you never know when you're going to need to brake hard to avoid some idiot.
affreeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2019, 09:31 AM   #8

I turn it on/off as needed or wanted. Down hills, up steep or long grades, exit ramps or just when I want the added braking. It's not like it's hard to reach or anything.

My RES button works as a Cancel as well, made a huge difference in driving with CC on. Don't remember who on here told me that, but it was most likely TeJay.
WyCamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow