Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 07-02-2019, 08:14 AM   #29

T/H in most transmissions also causes the transmission to more quickly shift (harsher) rather than the bands holding the trans in two gears and more slowly releasing the bands. This should lead to less wear on the bands and less heat in the transmission. However I'm not sure if ford does this.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-10-2019, 08:06 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeJay View Post
I guess you've forgotten that life is about choices? And some how we're wrong if we choose not to travel in the fast lane? I don't stare at the tach either so don't lump everybody into the same group my friend. Just because some don't like the screaming engine does not mean we all travel sloooowly.

There's also a reason for folks being in the right lane. That is its intended purpose. We are trucks and travel in the truck lane when necessary. We are allowing the speeders to get where they are going so they can hurry up and wait at the next traffic jam. Go ahead and leave us behind. We don't like to travel fast and we can and do enjoy the view.

I couldn't agree more Sir!!

X200 TJ
Totally agree.....
STORMY 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2019, 05:17 PM   #31

Thanks, again, for all the responses to my original post. I've just returned home after my first real trip in my new-to-me RV. There's was plenty of every kind of driving--flat highway, hilly highway, 2-lane roads, and going through small towns. Tow/Haul mode was really useful for the engine braking, both when descending hills and when stopping for red lights in the towns. I can't imagine driving without it now.

Thanks,
MathComp
Old 07-21-2019, 09:08 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by MathComp View Post
Thanks, again, for all the responses to my original post. I can't imagine driving without it now.
I couldn't agree more.

When I start our rig and put it in "drive" the next thing I do is press the T/H button....always. We have 5 star tune too. I love how T/H mode gives me the giddy up and go when getting on the freeway and assisted braking in all cases but especially when we exit and get into town traffic conditions.

We came through Pennsylvania a couple of months ago on our way to Maine for the summer and that entire state is nothing but up and down hills and mountains. I hardly ever used our brakes. I run at about 2100 rpms @ about 63-65mph, I do not use CC and I just let T/H do it's thing to climb or descend. After 1.5years of traveling now, 7.5mpg regardless of terrain and we're always towing.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	gracie-and-toad.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	254154  
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 06:11 AM   #33

7.5 mpg? Wow, that's great! It looks like our RVs are very similar. Come to think of it, we were looking at Vista 35Fs when we were still shopping, so I know they are similar. On our recent trip from central PA to western NY state, I don't think I quite managed 6.5 mpg., and we're not towing. I didn't leave the T/H on all the time, and I do use cruise control. Maybe I'll play around with that more on our next trip.

Thanks,
MathComp

Tags
f53, tow