Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #1

ANYONE USE THE TOW/HAUL SWITCH AND HOW WELL DOES IT WORK DOWN HILL?

THANKS
peter griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-09-2006, 03:27 PM   #2

ANYONE USE THE TOW/HAUL SWITCH AND HOW WELL DOES IT WORK DOWN HILL?

THANKS
Old 11-10-2006, 01:13 AM   #3

Works great!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Jim Martin PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2006, 03:57 PM   #4

jim whats that brake master i see...is that after market...i tried the tow haul switch...nice feature...cant wait to try it on a real hill...
Old 11-14-2006, 07:31 AM   #5

I use the Tow/Haul switch all the time. I used it last fall on a trip to Eastern Washington. I set Cruise Control with Tow/Haul on. Going up the grades the Ford F-53 had enough power to keep the set speed. Coming down the grades Cruise Control with Tow/Haul on was able to gear down to keep the set speed. I was very happy with how it worked on grades.

When I tow my toy hauler (Car Trailer) I turn on Tow/Haul when on flat ground when I'm in traffic and where there are a lot of stop lights. Tow/Haul gears down to help stop the rig. It is especially helpful when traffic suddenly slows or stops or when slowing for a stop light.

I'm very pleased with Tow/Haul in my RV. I also have Tow/Haul in my Dodge Durango but it isn't as dramatic when used as it is in my motorhome. I believe the weight of my MH makes Tow/Haul feature more useful in the RV.

JD & Kathy
JD Allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2006, 11:28 AM   #6

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by peter griffin:
jim whats that brake master i see...is that after market...i tried the tow haul switch...nice feature...cant wait to try it on a real hill... </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Peter,

Sorry for the tardy response.

The Brake Master is supplemental proportional braking system manufactured by Roadmaster.

I probably went overboard with that supplemental braking system for the size vehicle we tow. But, I would rather be over powered than underpowered in an emergency stopping situation.

There is a small LED mounted on the coach dash which lights up when the brakes are applied to the toad. Nice little safety feature. Our second trip after the installation hit the brakes and the indicator didn't come on. I pull over the first safe chance and found one of the pressure lines under the hood of the toad popped off. Therefore, I didn't have toad brakes. The fix was simple. Put the tubing back on the fitting and tighten the nut. If it weren't for the indicator not lighting I would not have known I didn't have toad brakes.

Long story short. We're very pleased with the entire set-up

Link to Roadmaster

Take it easy and enjoy the journey

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Old 11-14-2006, 11:57 AM   #7

I love the tow/haul. It does a good job slowing the rig down.Save on braking . Only drawback is when it kicks down my evenbrake sees it as hard braking and confuses itself.I am still trying to adjust the brake to its best setting,maybe even the lowest.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2006, 01:05 AM   #8

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Frankie:
I love the tow/haul. It does a good job slowing the rig down.Save on braking . Only drawback is when it kicks down my evenbrake sees it as hard braking and confuses itself.I am still trying to adjust the brake to its best setting,maybe even the lowest. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

Hi Frankie,

The brake master is a true proportional system and is controlled direct from the coach braking system. Therefore, tow/haul doesn't effect the toad braking.

FWIW

Jim

'06 Allegro 32 BA (Ford)
Old 11-17-2006, 01:19 AM   #9

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by Jim Martin PA:

Hi Frankie,

The brake master is a true proportional system and is controlled direct from the coach braking system. Therefore, tow/haul doesn't effect the toad braking.

FWIW

Jim </div></BLOCKQUOTE>
I hear its a good system.I chose the easy way out with the even brake.We change cars more than I like to admit,so it seemed the best route.Next year I am thinking 4-door wrangler and want a permenent brake in that. Glad to see some more Ford posters.

2006 FOUR WINDS HURRICANE 34N F-53
Frankie is offline   Reply With Quote