RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login

Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 05-16-2019, 12:00 PM   #1

Tow vehicle not charging from RV

Tow hitch wiring is working to operate toad lights but does not charge the toad battery.

Had an RV tech look at it and he checked the toad and the harness (picture attached). Checked out okay.

He also checked all the RV fuses and they were all good. Checked the wiring going directly into the RV connector. Nothing loose there.

Any other ideas what could be the reason that the toad wiring is not charging the battery?
Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190516_112535.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	209.7 KB
ID:	246199  

Ramona is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-16-2019, 12:07 PM   #2

Just a guess. Maybe the battery is old and wont take a charge.

Eastham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:09 PM   #3

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Ralph-

With the coach engine running, do you measure 12V at the coach hitch connector pin? It's the one o'clock pin when looking at the coach hitch connector.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 12:22 PM   #4

Entegra Owners Club
When my toad stopped charging, I found and replaced a blown 10 amp inline fuse in the charge line inside the toad engine compartment very near the toad battery. Solved the problem.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Old 05-16-2019, 12:30 PM   #5

Monaco Owners Club
My plug on the toad got cruddy and the toad would not charge. Check it your self, if you have a volt meter. Check the voltage of your toad battery with the toad shut off and unplugged. Now, plug in the toad and start the MH. Measure the voltage at the toad battery again. Voltage he same as before, no charging is occurring. Now work backwards to the MH. Unplug the toad and look for charge voltage on the cord. No voltage? Look for voltage at the MH plug.
TonyMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 03:02 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
Ralph-

With the coach engine running, do you measure 12V at the coach hitch connector pin? It's the one o'clock pin when looking at the coach hitch connector.
RV Tech checked it. I did not watch him do it, but he said that 12v connector pin on RV is not working.

Can I re-check it myself with a volt meter? How? Put the black probe to the ground and red to the 12v ?

pictures: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 05-16-2019, 03:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastham View Post
Just a guess. Maybe the battery is old and wont take a charge.
Possibly, but RV Tech indicated it was a problem on the RV side—that the toad and harness/connectors were okay.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:05 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by 777 Driver View Post
When my toad stopped charging, I found and replaced a blown 10 amp inline fuse in the charge line inside the toad engine compartment very near the toad battery. Solved the problem.

Good luck.

Take care,
Stu
Hmmmm. I wonder if the RV has such an inline fuse? Tech indicated problem was with the RV.
Old 05-16-2019, 03:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyMac View Post
My plug on the toad got cruddy and the toad would not charge. Check it your self, if you have a volt meter. Check the voltage of your toad battery with the toad shut off and unplugged. Now, plug in the toad and start the MH. Measure the voltage at the toad battery again. Voltage he same as before, no charging is occurring. Now work backwards to the MH. Unplug the toad and look for charge voltage on the cord. No voltage? Look for voltage at the MH plug.

I will try this. When checking the the cord, use volt meter's black probe to the ground and red probe to the 12v ?
Pix: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Old 05-16-2019, 06:49 PM   #10

Holiday Rambler Owners Club
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramona View Post
RV Tech checked it. I did not watch him do it, but he said that 12v connector pin on RV is not working.

Can I re-check it myself with a volt meter? How? Put the black probe to the ground and red to the 12v ?

pictures: https://www.etrailer.com/faq-wiring.aspx
Yes, you can check it yourself. Voltmeter set to 15V range, red on one o'clock pin, black on seven o'clock pin. Make sure the engine is running.

This is probably the time to tell you that Ford does not provide a 12V charge line on the F-53 chassis. They leave that up to the coach builder to provide. If your test at the hitch connector shows no signal, then you should call Newmar and ask them:

1) Is there a 12V charge line on the coach, and, if so
2) Where are the components located?
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by l1v3fr33ord1 View Post
This is probably the time to tell you that Ford does not provide a 12V charge line on the F-53 chassis. They leave that up to the coach builder to provide.
Now THAT is good information!
My RV Tech did call Newmar, but they blew him off, referring him back to the chassis manufacturer (Ford). Maybe I'll call Newmar, but previously it has not been a very good experience :(

You saved me a lot of time! Thank you!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:15 PM   #12

Country Coach Owners Club
Winnebago Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
I'm betting the MH is missing the wiring to the 7 pin connector. It was on my two Dutch Stars and I had to wire it in. Same with the present Country Coach, but the tech at the dealer did it for me.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2019, 07:19 PM   #13

It should be a relatively simple matter to determine if there's a wire hooked up to the 12V pin of the socket mounted on the RV. If not, adding one isn't technically difficult, just a pain in the neck and I mean that literally. Crawling around under the MH in order to route the wire took it's toll on my 72 year old body.

If you have a wire from the cockpit to the socket for a brake controller, you could re-purpose it if it's an adequate gauge. Most of us don't need it unless we're towing a trailer with electric brakes.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:55 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCam View Post
It should be a relatively simple matter to determine if there's a wire hooked up to the 12V pin of the socket mounted on the RV. If not, adding one isn't technically difficult, just a pain in the neck and I mean that literally.
RV Tech said he could tap into electric at the generator and then run it to the 7-pin.
So far, we haven't had any problems with the toad battery going dead, but we also haven't taken any long long trips, either.
At the moment, I am leaning toward getting this power supply and powering the toad's supplemental brake system with it:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01JRDV81K...v_ov_lig_dp_it

I was thinking that having something like that could come in pretty handy at home and on the road...
Thoughts?

Tags
charging, tow