Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 03-05-2019, 12:10 PM   #1

Freightliner Owners Club
Towing a Heavy Car

OK, someone talk me off the cliff....I have a 5800 # tow car I pulled behind my DP. So I'm thinking of buying a BayStar with the V-10 Ford engine. Am I crazy to think I can do this, even on a limited basis?
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-05-2019, 12:21 PM   #2

Country Coach Owners Club
Solo Rvers Club
iRV2 No Limits Club
Probably get away with it for a little while on short distances. Not something I'd do though.
Mr_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 12:38 PM   #3

My class A on a E450, V10 chassis has a 7500 lb towing capacity.

The same drive train, in a pickup, will tow that much and more.

What's the specs of the Baystar ?
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 01:08 PM   #4

We towed that weight all over NA with a Baystar. Stayed under the GVWR, GCWR, and Ford's tow rating too. Likely not all models have that much headroom in the ratings, though.

I did replace the receiver with a 10k rated one.
Old 03-05-2019, 03:44 PM   #5

Newmar Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Freightliner Owners Club
Retired Fire Service RVer's
Quote:
Originally Posted by slabman View Post
OK, someone talk me off the cliff....I have a 5800 # tow car I pulled behind my DP. So I'm thinking of buying a BayStar with the V-10 Ford engine. Am I crazy to think I can do this, even on a limited basis?
Im going to try it with around 5000lbs with braking assist. I see folks towing heavy vehicles with bigger gas coaches, and hence worse power to weight ratio, and they dont seem to be struggling. Im also going to help out the Bay Star with a 5 star tune.

Other than being slower on the grades (up and down) and getting worse gas milage, I don't see a problem. I will however be much more weight conscious about what else I pack along. Im also going on a test-run over Donner Summit and back before setting out across country with the outfit to see how it does.

My plan is to take the toad on cross country road trips when I plan to be staying at various locations for a while, visiting folks, site-seeing, etc, and leaving it on campimg trips when it will be just a day or two per stop at small, out of the way camp sites.

If it doesnt work out, Ill have a good used Blue Ox towing set up for sale.
R.Wold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 04:00 PM   #6
srh

Newmar Owners Club
Quote:
Your gasser wouldn't even come close to the ride of your Essex! I'm sure you have a good reason for doing it, but I wouldn't do it!
Regards
Old 03-05-2019, 04:16 PM   #7

Tiffin Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
It's all about chassis specs. You get a new Ford 26,000 lb. chassis, you have a 4,000 lb. max towing limitation to stay within the 30,000 lb. GVWR. You get a 24K chassis, you can go up to 6K towing. If you want to exceed either, that's up to you.
Mike8253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2019, 05:22 PM   #8

Quote:
You’ve walked to the edge of the cliff on your own.
The specs for a 2019 Baystar show a 5000lb rear hitch rating. Are you looking at one with a higher rating?

Towing at the maximum allowable weight will not be pleasant.
Towing in excess of the maximum may not be safe or legal.

Determine the GCWR.
Determine the loaded weight of the coach.
Toad weight is known.
Do the math.

If it doesn’t add up, buy another coach or buy another toad.
RVPioneer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2019, 06:38 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVPioneer View Post
You’ve walked to the edge of the cliff on your own.
The specs for a 2019 Baystar show a 5000lb rear hitch rating. Are you looking at one with a higher rating?

Towing at the maximum allowable weight will not be pleasant.
Towing in excess of the maximum may not be safe or legal.

Determine the GCWR.
Determine the loaded weight of the coach.
Toad weight is known.
Do the math.

If it doesn’t add up, buy another coach or buy another toad.
I would also suspect you would be voiding the chassis and powertrain warranty. In past years modifications of that nature would automatically void certain parts of the warranty.

Here's an excerpt from the 2018 warranty booklet:

• misuse of the vehicle, such a driving over curbs, overloading, racing or using the vehicle as a permanent stationary power source

Note that overloading is one item that does void the warranty. Also under the "modifications" clause damage caused by alterations are not covered.

• alterations or modifications of the vehicle, including the body, chassis, electronics or their components, after the vehicle leaves the control of Ford Motor Company

Here's a link to the 2018 Warranty booklet:
https://www.ford.com/cmslibs/content...US_08_2017.pdf
Old 03-06-2019, 07:47 AM   #10

So long as your under the GCWR and the hitch rating then your not overloaded and there is no issue.

Will probably need to upgrade hitch as most gas Class A's come with 5000lbs hitch. You will also need to get weighed loaded up to see how much GCWR is left.

Newmar actually publishes their UVW and CCC so you can look it up, the Baystar (not sport) is on a 22k to 24k chassis with a CCC between 2200 lbs and 3800 lbs depending on floor plan. The 3414 is 20,000 lbs unloaded with 30,000 lbs GCWR, it could easily tow more than 6000lbs with an upgraded hitch so long as you don't go crazy loading it up.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:15 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by jharrell View Post
Newmar actually publishes their UVW and CCC so you can look it up,
The weights published by Newmar are way off from reality. You have to weigh if you want the facts. Published numbers (UVW and CCC) are marketing tools.
Old 03-07-2019, 09:31 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by hohenwald48 View Post
The weights published by Newmar are way off from reality. You have to weigh if you want the facts. Published numbers (UVW and CCC) are marketing tools.
Of course you have to weigh you need to know how much use loaded up as well, the Newmar's numbers are just a starting point if your looking at different coaches.
Old 03-07-2019, 12:07 PM   #13

Quote:
Am I crazy to think I can do this, even on a limited basis?
Hey Slabby,

There is science underpinning all this, so there's no sense in us guessing and our opinions are really useless without some facts.

So before we go any further, let me ask you this:
1) What's the max GVWR, GCWR and tow rating of the hitch of this Baystar?

2) Will this 5,800lb. behemoth be towed 4 down, on a trailer or a dolly?

Just remember, it's been documented for years that 60% of RV's that are on US highways are overloaded and is the main cause of RV accidents.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 09:36 PM   #14

Freightliner Owners Club
Finally got a chance to drive a little 2019, 34 ft. Baystar. Yes, just a bit less powerful than the ol' 500 motor I had. And the dang thing really rocks and rolls! I can now see why everyone upgrades the suspension...going to take a LOT of mods to make that thing work well, methinks. Specs aside, I really think almost ANY toad is going to be an overload with that V-10 motor, despite what some might say.
slabman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tow, towing