Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×
RV Trip Planning Discussions

Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Register FilesVendors Registry Blogs FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 10-19-2017, 08:06 PM   #15

My 2013 24K F53 chassis was rated by Ford to tow 6,000 with a combined weight rating of 30,000.

This is right out of the Ford Manual. The 24K chassis was the only one with that rating that year IIRC.

Tiffin rated my MH, as equipped, to tow 5,000. They put the hitch on so I should believe them. Right?

Not so fast!

Tiffin also sent a recall notice for the hitch. I have to check it and see if they installed gussets in the frame rails. If not, I have to get a recall kit from them and add the gussets.

Really makes me trust their number, huh?

If I were to own a 6,000-pound vehicle that I was serious about towing, and had the 24K chassis rated to tow it, I would find a hitch installer willing to put one on and I would tow it. You would not be exceeding the chassis manufacturer's rating.

I really don't think my MH manufacturer has any idea how much their hitch can actually tow. Specially after seeing the recall that I got. No way it was engineered.

I too say call Forest River and ask them.

Good luck to you.
Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 10-20-2017, 04:23 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbs33 View Post
Actually Thor has put 8000lbs hitches on their gas MHs. Now no one should be using the full hitch capacity on these chassis.
Since you mention Thor...

Back in the Spring there was a discussion about the Thor "8,000-pound-rated hitch," on one of their Class C models. The two links I have for those threads are below. For some reason, the first link no longer works for me; I include it in the case that it will work for someone else:

www.irv2.com/forums/f87/8-000-lb-trailer-hitch-for-23u-cannot-be-used-for-8-000-lb-towing-338733.html
http://www.irv2.com/forums/f87/8-000...-339505-2.html

The owner wanted to tow a heavy trailer. The problem was that even though the hitch was "rated" for 8,000 pounds, the label on the hitch on his coach indicated a maximum tongue weight rating of 500 pounds. His coach's GCWR - GVWR calculation was 6,000 pounds. All things being equal, his coach could flat-tow a vehicle up to 6,000 pounds, but only tow a trailer (at nominal 10 percent tongue weight) of 5,000 pounds. On an "8,000-pound" hitch.

You're looking to tow a vehicle, so tongue weight rating does not come into play. I'll note that for the trailer-haulers, not only is the hitch rating important, but the rear axle rating must also be honored.

The upshot is not to take any information about towing capacities at face value. You're correct in pressing for details.
l1v3fr33ord1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2017, 09:47 AM   #17

Personally I would NOT upgrade a chassis to increase tow capacity. But if you do get permission from the manufacturer, make sure you get it in writing. If anything happens in the future, I can just see your Insurance company saying, "well your claim is denied because of chassis modifications" that was done after purchase. This mod could also affect your warranty.

I have a friend who bought a huge, brand new FR Sandpiper, 5ver. Right after they took possession, they started having big slide problems. Turned out the chassis was bent from the factory. FR went right into the blame game mode of who was responsible. My friend had to lawyer up and spent months in litigation over this. My guess is, when you inquire to FR to make this mod, they'll say no.

The only way I could see you getting this done without having all these possible future issues is, finding a manufacturer that says it can be down, ordering the RV the way you want it, have the manufacturer build it that way, so that way when you take possession everything is from the factory.
marjoa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2017, 11:46 AM   #18

I have a 2017 Thor Challenger 37YT with the 500lb tongue and 8000lb weight hitch.

I tow a dual axle ATV trailer 14' box with 3 ATVs and a Dual Purpose Bike, custom canoe rack. I had also towed this same configuration for 13 years with a 2004 Thor 36' Intruder with Banks system. package weighs about 3500-4000lbs

The new RV is 38' and has the heavier 30k chassis without any performance upgrades other than a K&N Air Filter.

Both handle the trailer fine pulling but I doubt I would push to the full 8000#. The new RV even though longer and heavier than my 2004 pulls this better than the beefed up banks in my old 2004 (but the 2004 never let us down) The heavier chassis and larger wheels and better 6 speed I feel make this the better towing RV.

To add to the tongue weight concerns, on my old RV I had a Putnam factory 500/5000# hitch (which was fine for 12 years) and I had that Dual Purpose bike on a hitch mount carrier last year (Bike is about 350lbs). Very bad Idea, the torgue from the bike on the carrier and the bumps in the road causing up and down motion cracked the metal on the hitch.

Fortunately I was watching it close in the camera and pulled over and removed the bike, went home with RV and came back for the bike. I did buy a much better hitch with a much higher rating but I explained that to the person I sold the RV to that it is still only rated for 500/5000 due to the frame extension etc...
Bakeryman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chassis, tow, towing