Go Back   iRV2 Forums > THE CHASSIS CLUB FORUMS > Ford Motorhome Chassis Forum
Click Here to Login
Join iRV2 Today

Mission Statement: Supporting thoughtful exchange of knowledge, values and experience among RV enthusiasts.
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on iRV2

Old 06-14-2013, 09:44 AM   #1

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Towing with a 460

I hope this is in the right place. I have a 1998 Triple E Class A 34 ft F 53. With 30,000 miles. I know there are a lot of technical people on this site that will refer me to the charts on my unit.
However I would really like to just get an Idea what people are towing. I know that this is a wide area. But I'm just curious as to what that 460 is capable of. If I decide to tow something I will look at the charts on my rig.
I see a lot of rigs on the road pulling massive trailers etc.
Please no technical answers as I probably would not read them anyway.
40+ years of technical has worn me down.
Lets just keep it at the bar room talk level That way we can all take the answers with a grain of salt. The people that answer with pictures will be sent to the front of the class.
Really looking forward to seeing and hearing what you pull.

Join the #1 RV Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

iRV2.com RV Community - Are you about to start a new improvement on your RV or need some help with some maintenance? Do you need advice on what products to buy? Or maybe you can give others some advice? No matter where you fit in you'll find that iRV2 is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with other RV owners, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create an RV blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-14-2013, 09:57 AM   #2

What some people tow , and what's safe to tow are like comparing chalk and cheese.
Lot of folks with the attitude " It's my rig , I'll tow whatever I feel like towing "

Old 06-14-2013, 12:08 PM   #3

With a gas rig you are usually limited to mid sized car to keep things reasonable. The big trailers and such are better left to the diesels.

Sometimes the bigger problem is on how the coach builder extended the chassis to carry a 34 foot home. Some are so minimalist that regardless of the capacity of the hitch the rear frame will only be able to deal with few hundred lbs tongue weight and have less than 3,000 lbs towing capacity.
Old 06-14-2013, 01:34 PM   #4

Forest River Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
I have upgraded the power level of my 460 by adding headers and free-flowing exhaust. If you let the 460 breathe properly it is a power brute!
That said, I tow a 3500 lb Jeep Cherokee and it pulls it easily, however I really wouldn't want to tow much more than that.
Reason 1 - Hitch is only rated 3500 lbs. I could put on a bigger hitch but will the frame rail extensions handle it?
Reason 2 - The stock transmission is a weak point with high power / high loads
Reason 3 - F53/460 chassis have marginal brakes. You might be able to pull 7000 lbs but can you STOP it?
Nick-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 04:47 PM   #5

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the answer Nick The other two answers were out to lunch when it comes to the question I asked.
You were the only one so far that has answered with what you do with your rig.
The techies can take another look at the question.
Their answers are great but don't address the question.
I know there is a manual and load chart on my unit and i know there are legal things to follow.
My question is what is the 460 capable of.
Airplanes I have flown were capable of a lot more but in the hands of a novice stick to the book.
A lot of people on this site have gone from the family car to 30 plus ft and 15000lbs plus. Now that is scary,

I used to deal with 54000 gross so I know the limits.
Thx for your answer you go to the front of the class.
My question is in reference to the motor not the chassis or it's capacity to tow.
Old 06-14-2013, 06:49 PM   #6

I have a 1998 bounded 36J on F53 with tag and 460. The only thing I have towed with it is an utility trailer with two atvs that have a combined weight of around 1500 pounds. While towing I could not tell they were behind me. I had to watch the backup camera to make sure they were still there.

The 460 is capable of nearly anything it just depends on how fast you want to get there. In most cases there is no trophy given for getting to the top of the hill first. Safety I think would be the deciding factor IMHO.
Old 06-14-2013, 08:52 PM   #7

Monaco Owners Club
I had a 30ft '92 Class C with a 460 for several years. Always pulled a 16ft enclosed trailer full of Harleys, tools, ect at around 4000lbs.

Many trips Mi to Fl over the highest routes over the Apps and many trips out West. Not the fastest, but the ol' 460 never had a problem.
clyon51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:21 PM   #8

Winnebago Owners Club
Freightliner Owners Club
92 Airex by Rexall 32' I pulled a 90 stick Camry or a 18' IO Beechcraft boat for more than 5 yrs. My son is still using and pulls a Jeep for hunting.
rgvtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 09:48 PM   #9

The 460 will pull dang near anything on wheels. The one thing it will not do is pass gas stations.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:56 AM   #10

The right question is not what the engine is capable of but what the chassis as modified by your coaches builder is which most times is not very much especially if your coach has slides. Those early slide coaches used up most of the capacity of the chassis available at the time leaving very little extra capacity available for towing. That means a midsized car or SUV is what you can safely tow and anything more is pushing your luck.

In the mid 90's the big gas coaches had only 16,000 lb chassis and a 35' coach with a slide used just about all of it.
Old 06-15-2013, 04:59 AM   #11

Triple E Owners Club
Ford Super Duty Owner
Thanks for the reply's. The 460 is a lot stronger than I thought. I do understand that the mileage is poor however for the difference in the price of a Diesel I can buy lots of gas and still have enough left for repairs.I do all my own work.
And anything technical I can get from the forum.
What a great bunch of people.
Old 06-15-2013, 12:54 PM   #12

Winnebago Owners Club
A Picture

This was our 1994 Vectra by Winnebago picture was taken in March of 1994. We drove this setup to several races in Arkansas, Oklahoma and Texas. We also drove it to Colorado a lot and to Alaska without the toad. Hauled one of the street legal bikes on the back to Alaska.
The Ford 460 is a very capable engine.
The key is not so much in the pulling as in the stopping.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Scan_Pic0001.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	522.2 KB
ID:	40757  
grtharris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 04:38 PM   #13

Fleetwood Owners Club
It's not what a 460 is capable of towing, it's what your coach is capable of towing.

I have a 34' Bounder F53 460 and tow a Jeep Wrangler that weighs less than 3000lbs. Even though the hitch on my 34' Bounder is rated for 5000lbs, that's greatly reduced because of the long over hang of the coach from the rear axel.
Old 06-15-2013, 10:32 PM   #14

My coach weighs in at 17,900 lbs and with my toad loaded I weigh in at 21,300 lbs. My 460 with the Banks Powerpack system and Trans Commander pulls it with no problems at all. I pull most hills at 55 or more, keep my speed at about 62 to 65 mph otherwise. The 460 will pull most anything you put behind it.

rlyons is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
rexhall, towing